Britney Songs That Should Have Been Singles

If you could rearrange Britney's singles in the most convenient way possible, how would you do so? 

Based on the trends and general public appeal, here is what I would have added/replaced to each era and what I believe to be many missed opportunities.
In many cases, the replacing is for practicality reasons obvs. :) 

"Baby One More Time" Era:

• I'll Never Stop Loving You (in place of 'From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart')
  • I Will Be There (promotional release)

"Oops I Did It Again" Era:

• Walk On By (promotional release)
  • Stronger Darkchild/AMA 2001 Rock-Inspired Remix (in place of the album version)
  • My Only Wish (This Year)
  • When Your Eyes Say It (international release)

"Britney" Era:

• What It's Like To Be Me ("Celebrity" album promo/early-mid-2001 release)
  • Lonely Darkchild/Hip-Hop-Inspired Remix (in place of 'Overprotected Darkchild Remix')
  • Let Me Be (promotional release)
  • Before The Goodbye REMASTERED w/ a proper bridge (in place of 'I Love Rock N Roll)

"In The Zone" Era:

• Outrageous Ft. Snoop Dogg
  • (I Got That) Boom Boom Ft. Ludacris & The Ying Yang Twins
  • Breathe On Me

2004-2007 Era:

• And Then We Kiss
  • Sippin' On Ft. Jadakiss REMASTERED

"Blackout" Era:

• To Love Let Go REMASTERED

"Circus" Era

• Candy From A Stranger Ft. Lil Wayne (in place of 'If U Seek Amy')
  • Dramatic REMASTERED (in place of 'Radar')

"Femme Fatale" Era

• Inside Out Ft. Eminem (in place of 'Criminal')

"Britney Jean" Era

• Work ***** RE-RECORDED
  • Hold On Tight RE-RECORDED

2013-2016 Era: 

• Axe 'Pretty Girls'

"Glory" Era

• Make Me Ft. Ty Dolla $ign or Kendrick Lamar (in place of G-Eazy)
  • Slumber Party Solo (No Tinashe)

2017-2018 Era:

• I Feel So Free With You Ft. Pitbull & Marc Anthony :crying3:

I know my list is very extensive/strategic but feel free to include your own personal lists and opinions below. :) 

• Like 1

• Born To Make You Happy (fourth single - worldwide release)
  • Love The Hurt Away (solo version, full mastered, fifth US single in place of 'From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart')

• Stronger (second single instead of Lucky)
  • Lucky (third single)

"Britney" Era:

• Before The Goodbye REMASTERED w/ a proper bridge (second international single)
  • Overprotected (third international single, album version)
  • Boys (fourth international single, album version)
  • I'm Not A Girl (fifth USA single)
  • Rock'n'roll (fifth international single)

"In The Zone" Era:

• Toxic (first single)
  • Matm (second single)
  • Everytime (third single)
  • Breathe On Me (fourth single)
  • Boom Boom remix featuring Snoop Dogg (fifth US single)

2004-2007 Era:

• And Then We Kiss (with a proper video)

"Circus" Era

• Unusual You WITH CLEARER VOCALS (in place of 'Radar')

"Femme Fatale" Era

"Britney Jean" Era

:jj:

2013-2016 Era: 

• Axe 'Pretty Girls'
  • Release a Tom's Diner video / single

"Glory" Era

• Make Me Ft. G-Eazy
  • Change Your Mind
  • Slumber Party feat. Missy Elliott

2017-2018 Era:

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Alex_1991 said:

• Born To Make You Happy (fourth single - worldwide release)
  • Love The Hurt Away (solo version, full mastered, fifth US single in place of 'From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart')

• Stronger (second single instead of Lucky)
  • Lucky (third single)

"Britney" Era:

• Before The Goodbye REMASTERED w/ a proper bridge (second international single)
  • Overprotected (third international single, album version)
  • Boys (fourth international single, album version)
  • I'm Not A Girl (fifth USA single)
  • Rock'n'roll (fifth international single)

"In The Zone" Era:

• Toxic (first single)
  • Matm (second single)
  • Everytime (third single)
  • Breathe On Me (fourth single)
  • Boom Boom remix featuring Snoop Dogg (fifth US single)

2004-2007 Era:

• And Then We Kiss (with a proper video)

"Circus" Era

• Unusual You WITH CLEARER VOCALS (in place of 'Radar')

"Femme Fatale" Era

"Britney Jean" Era

:jj:

2013-2016 Era: 

• Axe 'Pretty Girls'
  • Release a Tom's Diner video / single

"Glory" Era

• Make Me Ft. G-Eazy
  • Change Your Mind
  • Slumber Party feat. Missy Elliott

2017-2018 Era:

Interesting options and I agree with a lot of em. ;) 

The only ones I’m strongly against are Luv The Hurt Away because that song was based off of All Cried Out and she would have been accused of ripping it off, as well as Boys original because the remix is superior and fit the theme of urban radio more. Plus, having Pharrell as a feature was one of the smartest things she could have done in 2002 and I’m glad it happened.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, DexWillBeThere98 said:

I Will Be There

Can't Make You Love Me - Don't Go Knocking on my Door

I Run Away - What It's Like To Be Me

Breathe On Me (Instead of "Outrageous", although I found Outrageous to be a good song)

Selfish - He About to Lose Me - Inside Out

Don't Cry

Liar

CMYLM and DGKOMD were too similar to OIDIA and Stronger to stand on their own. While they’re great pop songs, they weren’t good contenders for a single choice. 

Selfish and Liar wouldn’t have done well either tbh. They were either quite outdated sounding and/or far too generic. I respect your list though. :) 

• Like 2
Spoiler

BOMT era:

Born To Make You Happy released everywhere rather than just Europe as the album's 4th single

I Will Be There released as the album's 5th and final single (early 2000)

OIDIA era:

What U See (Is What U Get) released instead of Don't Let Me Be the Last To Know as the album's 4th and final single

Britney era:

The album version of Overprotected released instead of the Darkchild Remix in the US as the album's 2nd single, the song is still released internationally at the same time. And the video is the Darkchild Remix's video but with the original version of the song.

Anticipating released in place of I Love Rock N Roll as the album's 4th single internationally rather than just being released in France.

Before the Goodbye released as the album's 6th and final single (late 2002/early 2003)

ITZ era:

Toxic as the album's lead single

Me Against the Music as the album's 2nd single

(Everytime would still be the 3rd single)

Touch Of My Hand as the album's 4th single instead of Outrageous

(I Got That) Boom Boom as the album's 5th single (late 2004, with performance at the VMAs)

Breathe On Me as the album's 6th and final single (early 2005)

(GH:MP would never have happened but this is meant to be make believe right?)

Blackout era:

Gimme More still the lead single, but with the original video

(Piece Of Me still the 2nd single)

Break the Ice with a proper music video and not an animated one as the album's 3rd single

Radar as the album's 4th single with the original video concept (Britney and friends chasing guys in clubs across London)

Get Back as the album's 5th and final single (late 2008)

(In this case Circus would have been released in early/mid 2009)

Circus era:

Kill the Lights as the album's 4th single instead of Radar

Unusual You as the album's 5th and final single, with Radar's music video

(going by my previous Blackout era, the single releases would have been: Womanizer early/mid 2009, Circus (song) released same day as the album, If U Seek Amy released late summer 2009, Kill the Lights late 2009, Unusual You early 2010 - obviously this means TSC never happened ddd)

FF era:

Inside Out or Up N Down as the album's 5th and final single (early 2012 - the album was contracted to have 5 singles)

BJ era:

(Work ***** still the lead single)

Perfume still as the album's 2nd single, but with the original video/director's cut

Alien as the album's 3rd single (early 2014)

Tik Tik Boom or Til It's Gone as the album's 4th and final single (summer 2014)

Glory era:

(Make Me would have still been the lead single, released as scheduled, still featuring G-Eazy, but would been released with the original video)

Do You Wanna Come Over as the album's 2nd single (September 2016)

Slumber Party as the album's 3rd single, no Tinashe or any other features (December 2016/January 2017)

Love Me Down, or another uptempo like Better, Change Your Mind or Liar, as the album's 4th single (spring 2017)

Just Luv Me or Man on the Moon as the album's 5th and final single (late summer 2017)

In a spoiler because it's kinda long and I know scrolling can be a pain for mobile users.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Isla. said:
  Hide contents

BOMT era:

Born To Make You Happy released everywhere rather than just Europe as the album's 4th single

I Will Be There released as the album's 5th and final single (early 2000)

OIDIA era:

What U See (Is What U Get) released instead of Don't Let Me Be the Last To Know as the album's 4th and final single

Britney era:

The album version of Overprotected released instead of the Darkchild Remix in the US as the album's 2nd single, the song is still released internationally at the same time. And the video is the Darkchild Remix's video but with the original version of the song.

Anticipating released in place of I Love Rock N Roll as the album's 4th single internationally rather than just being released in France.

Before the Goodbye released as the album's 6th and final single (late 2002/early 2003)

ITZ era:

Toxic as the album's lead single

Me Against the Music as the album's 2nd single

(Everytime would still be the 3rd single)

Touch Of My Hand as the album's 4th single instead of Outrageous

(I Got That) Boom Boom as the album's 5th single (late 2004, with performance at the VMAs)

Breathe On Me as the album's 6th and final single (early 2005)

(GH:MP would never have happened but this is meant to be make believe right?)

Blackout era:

Gimme More still the lead single, but with the original video

(Piece Of Me still the 2nd single)

Break the Ice with a proper music video and not an animated one as the album's 3rd single

Radar as the album's 4th single with the original concept (Britney and friends chasing guys in clubs across London)

Get Back as the album's 5th and final single (late 2008)

(In this case Circus would have been released in early/mid 2009)

Circus era:

Kill the Lights as the album's 4th single instead of Radar

Unusual You as the album's 5th and final single, with Radar's music video

(going by with my previous Blackout era, the single releases would have been: Womanizer early/mid 2009, Circus (song) released same day as the album, If U Seek Amy released late summer 2009, Kill the Lights late 2009, Unusual You early 2010 - obviously this means TSC never happened ddd)

FF era:

Inside Out or Up N Down as the album's 5th and final single (early 2012 - the album was contracted to have 5 singles)

BJ era:

(Work ***** still the lead single)

Perfume still as the album's 2nd single, but with the original video/director's cut

Alien as the album's 3rd single (early 2014)

Tik Tik Boom or Til It's Gone as the album's 4th and final single (summer 2014)

Glory era:

(Make Me would have still been the lead single, released as scheduled, still featuring G-Eazy, but would been released with the original video)

Do You Wanna Come Over as the album's 2nd single (September 2016)

Slumber Party as the album's 3rd single, no Tinashe or any other features (December 2016/January 2017)

Love Me Down, or another uptempo like Better, Change Your Mind or Liar, as the album's 4th single (spring 2017)

Just Luv Me or Man on the Moon as the album's 5th and final single (late summer 2017)

In a spoiler because it's kinda long and I know scrolling can be a pain for mobile users.

Nice list, but WUS(IWUG) sounds far too identical to the theme of OIDIA/Lucky/Stronger and while a fan favorite, I don't believe it would have been a strong single contender or was able to really stand on its own without being overshadowed by the other singles. DLMBTLTK is the third strongest song on the album and I am so glad it was released over anything else on the album that wasn't released up until that point.

I will agree that releasing two versions of Overprotected was unnecessary and I would have loved to see some of that effort go into another song that had potential from the Britney album.

Get Back is another favorite of mine but I think 3 singles, max, 4 was enough from Blackout. In a way, Blackout has very similar parallels to Oops in that a lot of the instrumentals are recycled and have a similar concept/theme.

The other one I have to strongly disagree with is Alien. While it had potential to be a good song, the finalized version was so dreadful and too bleak for my liking. The one song from that album that had the most potential to be a single was Hold On Tight, but it would have had to been re-recorded. Tik Tik Boom and Til It's Gone were just really bad and generic songs to even be considered as singles, even if they were finalized and actually sung by her.

Just my two cents. :) 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

CMYLM and DGKOMD were too similar to OIDIA and Stronger to stand on their own. While they’re great pop songs, they weren’t good contenders for a single choice. 

Selfish and Liar wouldn’t have done well either tbh. They were either quite outdated sounding and/or far too generic. I respect your list though. :) 

Funny you said this, cause a Youtuber that reacted to the OIDIA album said CMYLM had a similar instrumental (and WUSIWYG too) to Oops!

DGKOMD, I don't find it similar to Stronger. Maybe in the "break-up" lyrics, yeah, but as a song, I don't.

I still jam to Selfish and Liar tho. I dunno much about current music honestly, so I didn't knew they were dated already. Shame. I loved them so much.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

Nice list, but WUS(IWUG) sounds far too identical to the theme of OIDIA/Lucky/Stronger and while a fan favorite, I don't believe it would have been a strong single contender or was able to really stand on its own without being overshadowed by the other singles. DLMBTLTK is the third strongest song on the album and I am so glad it was released over anything else on the album that wasn't released up until that point.

I will agree that releasing two versions of Overprotected was unnecessary and I would have loved to see some of that effort go into another song that had potential from the Britney album.

Get Back is another favorite of mine but I think 3 singles, max, 4 was enough from Blackout. In a way, Blackout has very similar parallels to Oops in that a lot of the instrumentals are recycled and have a similar concept/theme.

The other one I have to strongly disagree with is Alien. While it had potential to be a good song, the finalized version was so dreadful and too bleak for my liking. The one song from that album that had the most potential to be a single was Hold On Tight, but it would have had to been re-recorded. Tik Tik Boom and Til It's Gone were just really bad and generic songs to even be considered as singles, even if they were finalized and actually sung by her.

Just my two cents. :) 

I can see what you're saying about What U See, but it honestly to me sounds like a missed opportunity. And I don't think any of the ballads on the album were strong enough to be a single imo. 

I mean Tik Tik Boom and Til It's Gone are kinda generic, but so are It Should Be Easy and Body Ache, which arguably could have worked as singles too, but I think Tik Tik Boom/Til It's Gone personally are better choices (and I know people would shoot me down for suggesting It Should Be Easy or Body Ache as a single). I'm not sure about Hold On Tight as a single tbh.

35 minutes ago, One Kiss From You said:

I Will Be There/Autumn Goodbye/Deep In My Heart

What U See/When Your Eyes Say It

Before The Goodbye

Breathe On Me

Heaven On Earth/Get Naked

Kill The Lights/Phonography

Scary/Don't Keep Me Waiting

Hold On Tight

Just Luv Me/Change Your Mind

A lot of these are good songs but aren't single material. :joanne:

31 minutes ago, Isla. said:

I can see what you're saying about What U See, but it honestly to me sounds like a missed opportunity. And I don't think any of the ballads on the album were strong enough to be a single imo. 

I mean Tik Tik Boom and Til It's Gone are kinda generic, but so are It Should Be Easy and Body Ache, which arguably could have worked as singles too, but I think Tik Tik Boom/Til It's Gone personally are better choices (and I know people would shoot me down for suggesting It Should Be Easy or Body Ache as a single). I'm not sure about Hold On Tight as a single tbh.

I beg to differ - DLMBTLTK is one of her most euphoric singles and was the obvious single choice after Stronger, especially since Britney loved it. It was country meets an early 2000s pop ballad with a touch of divinity. It flopped but only because it wasn't really radio friendly and didn't fit the mold of what the GP expected of a typical Britney single.  :joanne:

In regards to Britney Jean, I think releasing anything else from that album would have been career suicide, unless she was willing to go to the studio and re-record or polish them up. I always said this -- I think Britney Jean had potential to be a great album had she actually finished it and put in the effort. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Paulino999 said:

Luv that hurt away

Where are u now 

before the goodbye 

the hook up, breathe on me, touch of my hand

ooh ohh baby/ hot as ice, / toysoldier

unusual you

how I roll 

, now that I found you / instead of perfume

if I'm dancing, liar, just love me , change your mind 

Luv The Hurt Away wouldn't have worked. It was a carbon copy, down to the chord progression, of another late 90s R&B track known as All Cried Out and she would have been accused of copying it. Its sole purpose of the song was to be a demo, and only a demo. I would have liked to see her record more R&B though. 

Hot As Ice was a cheap version of Maneater and it just doesn't strike to me as single material. Neither was Ooh Ooh Baby. Toy Soldier, on the other hand, I can understand. :joanne:

Now That I Found You also would have been a terrible option since that was a knock-off, Walmart version of Avicii's Wake Me Up. Plus it wasn't even finished and the verses/chorus were repeated throughout the entire song. :deadbanana:It had potential to be a good song though. :joanne: Just Luv Me also sounded too similar to Justin Bieber's sound at the time and it wouldn't have done well at all. Liar, IID - no comment. :joanne: