Sometimes or BTMYH?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, rik said:

hm..... neither will be remembered as essential to her legacy (particularly because britney appears to hate sometimes) 

i'll go with sometimes though, despite it's cheese

Well, despite whatever things Britney has said about Sometimes, it IS remembered as a classic not only among the fans, but the GP as well.

After the sudden rise of BOMT views on YouTube a few years ago, it was Sometimes, not Crazy and definitely not BTMYH, the one that quickly started to gain views too, ultimately giving it the 100M views it never got since it was uploaded in 2009.

If people didn't remember it, Crazy would've reached the 100M views faster, or any other song. Not even Lucky has gotten there yet (though is the next one).

Which is more, currently Sometimes and Oops are the most streamed videos on Youtube after BOMT and Toxic (and S&S). So if that doesn't make it essential to her legacy, I don't know what does. 

Some people claim HIAM is such a classic because it went #1. Well, in comparison, right now Sometimes gets an average of 100K daily views, while HIAM gets about 7K. People has totally forgot about HIAM, while Sometimes remains in the hearts of everyone, 20 years later. 

Born to Make You Happy isn't doing that bad though. It gets more daily views than Overprotected, Break the Ice, TTWE or Slumber Party, with 18K, but is still way behind the real classics. 

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/britneyspears.html

Sometimes has very beautiful lyrics that I relate to so much, and the melody is very pretty

BTMYH is very catchy and cute. I don't think the lyrics are "inappropriate" but they are definitely kind of cringey. I mean, we've all been head over heels for someone and the song is relatable in that way, I just feel like it doesn't have a good message. Like my entire existance is to please someone? That's kinda weird.

15 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, despite whatever things Britney has said about Sometimes, it IS remembered as a classic not only among the fans, but the GP as well.

After the sudden rise of BOMT views on YouTube a few years ago, it was Sometimes, not Crazy and definitely not BTMYH, the one that quickly started to gain views too, ultimately giving it the 100M views it never got since it was uploaded in 2009.

If people didn't remember it, Crazy would've reached the 100M views faster, or any other song. Not even Lucky has gotten there yet (though is the next one).

Which is more, currently Sometimes and Oops are the most streamed videos on Youtube after BOMT and Toxic (and S&S). So if that doesn't make it essential to her legacy, I don't know what does. 

Some people claim HIAM is such a classic because it went #1. Well, in comparison, right now Sometimes gets an average of 100K daily views, while HIAM gets about 7K. People has totally forgot about HIAM, while Sometimes remains in the hearts of everyone, 20 years later. 

Born to Make You Happy isn't doing that bad though. It gets more daily views than Overprotected, Break the Ice, TTWE or Slumber Party, with 18K, but is still way behind the real classics. 

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/britneyspears.html

It still feels weird calling HIAM a classic because it's only 8 years old. I can't speak for the whole of the UK but I don't know if the GP consider anything after Everytime a classic for Britney. I wouldn't even say they care for Gimme More or Womanizer that much tbh and I think that's because she had hit after hit after hit from 99-04. Whenever you watch the music channels over here, it's usually Baby, Oops or Toxic that get played. Sometimes I see Work ***** and occasionally Womanizer and Scream and Shout but never any of the BO or FF singles.

5 minutes ago, Lilith Slave said:

Sometimes has very beautiful lyrics that I relate to so much, and the melody is very pretty

BTMYH is very catchy and cute. I don't think the lyrics are "inappropriate" but they are definitely kind of cringey. I mean, we've all been head over heels for someone and the song is relatable in that way, I just feel like it doesn't have a good message. Like my entire existance is to please someone? That's kinda weird.

I guess they were going for the teenager madly in love, wants to seem mature thing. I think it works because I just see it as a genuine love song about someone who'll do anything to make their love happy but I don't see it as going to the point where they would take advantage of that and use her for their own benefits although many do interpret it that way.

I prefer Sometimes, and I think the song is an essential Britney classic, enhanced by an iconic video. I was actually surprised recently when I was telling someone (not a Britney stan) that I was a huge fan of hers. He teased me a little bit (as people do) but then on a serious note said that her Sometimes video was "one of the best videos of all time." I remember being surprised because I hadn't mentioned Sometimes or any song of hers in particular, but that's the one he brought up. I was impressed that a member of the GP remembered the video to one of her more obscure, early singles. Turns out the dancing on the boardwalk in the white crop turtle neck made a bigger impact than the fanbase thought!

1 minute ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

I guess they were going for the teenager madly in love, wants to seem mature thing. I think it works because I just see it as a genuine love song about someone who'll do anything to make their love happy but I don't see it as going to the point where they would take advantage of that and use her for their own benefits although many do interpret it that way.

Yeah I agree, I mean I definitely don't think it's creepy like that or really ******. I feel like it's just not the type of song someone could get away with today, it would be called extremely antifeminist

10 minutes ago, Lilith Slave said:

Yeah I agree, I mean I definitely don't think it's creepy like that or really ******. I feel like it's just not the type of song someone could get away with today, it would be called extremely antifeminist

So true and it's a shame because even if it's not the best song on the album, it's still a good song and doesn't deserve to be criticized for its lyrics. Sidenote- my cousin was talking about the Disney Princesses the other day and how people say Snow White and Cinderella are anti-feminist. Snow White maybe but Cinderella? She's incredibly hardworking and optimistic. Yes, she ended up with a man and he did kind of rescue her from her horrible life but even before that, she was so positive and upbeat. I think it was more "it's nice she found true love" after all she's been through rather than "urgh, she doesn't need a man to sort her problems for her". There's always 2 sides to every story but people just look for problems with everything and it's exhausting.

4 minutes ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

So true and it's a shame because even if it's not the best song on the album, it's still a good song and doesn't deserve to be criticized for its lyrics. Sidenote- my cousin was talking about the Disney Princesses the other day and how people say Snow White and Cinderella are anti-feminist. Snow White maybe but Cinderella? She's incredibly hardworking and optimistic. Yes, she ended up with a man and he did kind of rescue her from her horrible life but even before that, she was so positive and upbeat. I think it was more "it's nice she found true love" after all she's been through rather than "urgh, she doesn't need a man to sort her problems for her". There's always 2 sides to every story but people just look for problems with everything and it's exhausting.

Ikr, same with The Little Mermaid. People say ariel changed to be with eric but leave out the fact that she wanted to become human before she even saw him. Even tho I just got dumped and am pessimistic about love I still think it's a cute story that gives us hope.

2 minutes ago, Lilith Slave said:

Ikr, same with The Little Mermaid. People say ariel changed to be with eric but leave out the fact that she wanted to become human before she even saw him. Even tho I just got dumped and am pessimistic about love I still think it's a cute story that gives us hope.

It is funny because they're kids films! People shouldn't look so deeply into them. The only thing I did find strange when I grew older was that the princesses are so young, especially as they're getting married but then they're fairytales and people should enjoy it but also learn not to take it so seriously and certainly not to live their lives based on the message in a cartoon. 

1 hour ago, rik said:

100 percent agree that Sometimes is more remembered in comparison to BTMYH and all the FF singles

But wasn't BTMYH only released as a single in Europe? Maybe that's why. 

Anyway, I always preferred BTMYH even when I was a lil girl. 

I never really loved Sometimes, it's one of the Britney's singles I least like tbh. She looks incredibly pretty on the video tho. 

I love them both a lot.. both would be in my Britney top 20.

I have such great early memories associated with both songs, but I think Sometimes has something really special - even if it hasn't aged as well as Baby. The video, the production.. it just has a great essence of the late 90s. Vocally, I think it's stronger too. And it has one of the best bridges of any Britney song :yay:

Archived