Me Against The Music vs. Boom Boom vs. Outrageous

MATM vs. IGTBB vs. Outrageous?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Mona Lisa 2.0 said:

The fact that you're telling me that I'm making you stan these songs even though you said to another member to get a new set of ears because they don't like these two f**king **** songs. But yes keep ignoring that.

These two songs don't deserve attention cause there's nothing special about them in my opinion. I don't need to finish every sentence with "in my opinion" for you to know that I mean that right? 

When did I shove down my unwanted opinion? You made a thread, I responded to it. Just like the other member that you attacked. If you don't want to hear our unwanted opinions don't f**king come into a forum and make threads sweetie.

The fact that you think you're shutting me down is so f**king cringy. :yelping: Get the **** outta here with your immature ***. :yelping: If anything you need to stop quoting me with your huge texts, you're frying your brain thinking about what to say next. :yelping:

:hugs: 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Isla. said:

Boom Boom. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me and I love it now. It's such a banger, I feel indifferent to the Ying Yang Twins parts though cause I sometimes feel like the song could do without them. But I wouldn't say they 'ruin' the song per se.

Boom Boom > Me Against the Music > Outrageous.

Exactly my thoughts on this topic.  

• Like 2
21 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

I totally get what you’re saying. In a way, their verses are a bit excessive, but at the same time, it doesn’t ruin it for me. I always wish a more credible Southern rapper like Ludacris would have hopped on the track. That would have been amazing imo.

Yeah, even Lil’ Wayne, who is also from Louisiana, would've been infinitely better than the Ying Yang Twins (despite being rather prone to some excessiveness himself). :quirkney:

And I believe 2004 was the year right before he really blew up, so it would've actually been a collaboration with two of the biggest names in the industry (one established global popstar, one upcoming hugely popular rapper). 

Britney’s discography is nearly flawless but she honestly has a really poor track record with collaborations, and that didn’t start with “Pretty Girls,” unfortunately. :ehum:

I mean, even MATM is a very weak lead single by both Britney and Madonna’s standards, much less a combination of the two. MATM was frankly a huge regression in comparison to how daring and experimental her previous lead (I.e., Slave 4 U) was, and didn’t even come close to the catchy pop-perfection of BOMT or OIDIA either. :woopsie:

In fact, the only reason I don’t actually outright dislike the track is because the music video and promo performances were so fantastic, and I have a tendency to strongly associate the song with the visuals.

Spoiler

UnnaturalHardBernesemountaindog-small.gi

Don’t hurt me, I come in peace. 

3 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Yeah, even Lil’ Wayne, who is also from Louisiana, would've been infinitely better than the Ying Yang Twins (despite being rather prone to some excessiveness himself). :quirkney:

And I believe 2004 was the year right before he really blew up, so it would've actually been a collaboration with two of the biggest names in the industry (one established global popstar, one upcoming hugely popular rapper). 

Britney’s discography is nearly flawless but she honestly has a really poor track record with collaborations, and that didn’t start with “Pretty Girls,” unfortunately. :ehum:

I mean, even MATM is a very weak lead single by both Britney and Madonna’s standards, much less a combination of the two. MATM was frankly a huge regression in comparison to how daring and experimental her previous lead (I.e., Slave 4 U) was, and didn’t even come close to the catchy pop-perfection of BOMT or OIDIA either. :woopsie:

In fact, the only reason I don’t actually outright dislike the track is because the music video and promo performances were so fantastic, and I have a tendency to strongly associate the song with the visuals.

Hide contents

UnnaturalHardBernesemountaindog-small.gi

Don’t hurt me, I come in peace. 

No, you're spilling the tea and the MATM lovers can stay seething. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but there are people who actually think MATM is the strongest song on ITZ and that it's at least 50% better than tracks like IGTBB and Outrageous, which are far more melodic and rhythmic.

Lil Wayne didn't really become mainstream to the general public until 2005 so I don't think that was even been up for consideration. It could have always worked but during the time of the ITZ recording sessions, he was still vastly underground and quite local. I think a (ft. Ludacris & The Ying Yang Twins) would have given the track more value and up'd it by a notch. The Ying Yang Twins were trendy for a couple years but they shouted way too much instead of actually rapping. They weren't taken serious, like at all, unlike some of the other Southern rappers at the time. And you're right on that, Britney hasn't always had the right choice of who should be featured on her records or not. 

Regardless, IGTBB is an incredible song and it deserved the single treatment. 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

No, you're spilling the tea and the MATM lovers can stay seething. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but there are people who actually think MATM is the strongest song on ITZ and that it's at least 50% better than tracks like IGTBB and Outrageous, which are far more melodic, variable and rhythmic.

Lil Wayne didn't really become mainstream to the general public until 2005 so I don't think that was even been up for consideration. It could have always worked but during the time of the ITZ recording sessions, he was still vastly underground and quite local. I think a (ft. Ludacris & The Ying Yang Twins) would have given the track more value and up'd it by a notch. The Ying Yang Twins were trendy for a couple years but they shouted way too much instead of actually rapping. They weren't taken serious, like at all, unlike some of the other Southern rappers at the time. And you're right on that, Britney hasn't always had the right choice of who should be featured on her records or not. 

I had to look him up on Wiki to verify when he achieved mainstream popularity, which unfortunately exposed me to pictures such as the following (****):

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGB1oPStZjlC4LT5BeGPw

But apparently, he was featured in Destiny’s Child “Soldier” in 2004, which reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and received a Grammy nomination.

So, a feature on a Britney album the same year was definitely conceivable (although I have no personal agenda behind proposing this, since I’m not even a fan of his. I do think he's quite talented, however, and since there was only one rather than two of him, perhaps Britney wouldn’t have always looked quite so uncomfortable whenever her featured artists would come trying to dance all up on her during their rap solo). :tehe: 

2 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

No, you're spilling the tea and the MATM lovers can stay seething. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but there are people who actually think MATM is the strongest song on ITZ and that it's at least 50% better than tracks like IGTBB and Outrageous, which are far more melodic, variable and rhythmic.

It’s funny, I thought you were exaggerating but then I looked at the current poll results and MATM is in the lead, by far (IGTBB had been in the lead whenever I voted for it much earlier in the day, and I genuinely had thought MATM was commonly considered to be kind of “meh” within the fanbase).

What’s interesting is that I just looked up the critical reviews for MATM, and they’re extremely polarizing, but overwhelmingly negative.

While it’s admittedly a minority, some critics seemingly thought MATM was the best track and/or only possible lead single off the album (Uuhh...Toxic says “GRAMMY!”)

But anyway, here are the relatively few positive reviews:

• The Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic selected "Me Against the Music" as one of the 'track picks' from In the Zone
  • Caryn Ganz of Spin called the song "a fine specimen of Britney 4.0 – a fast-paced dance anthem, all grinding percussion shuttling through a traffic jam of synths."
  • Dave De Sylvia of Sputnikmusic said that "Aside from numerous rather awful name-dropping passages and a disappointing chorus, the track is an ideal way to open the album. It's an up-tempo dance track with a big name attached; what else could you ask for?"
  • Linda McGee of RTÉ.ie commented that although much of the content of In the Zone is "catchy", "it is hard to see any potential singles impressing as much as 'Me Against The Music'.

Additionally, a surprisingly sizable number of critics praised the track itself and/or Britney’s performance, but lambasted Madonna’s as inferior and superfluous: 

• Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine deemed it as "arguably one of Britney's finest moments and one of her mentor's worst". 
  • Nick Southall of Stylus Magazine said that "Madonna vamps it up (literally – her appearance here is not Sapphic but vampiric, the wizened old crone bleeding another period of forced longevity into her career like a cruenating corpse leaking plasma backwards) on 'Me Against The Music', but can't make it a bad tune."
  • Gavin Mueller, also writing for Stylus Magazine, said that the single "benefits from a kinetic garage-inspired beat, even when a tepid Madonna threatens to spoil the fun."
  • While reviewing The Singles Collection, Mayer Nissim of Digital Spy said that "the only arguable weak link is the Madonna-featuring 'Me Against The Music', but in this context what once looked like a respectful passing of the baton now seems like an unconditional surrender of pop Queendom to its rightful heir."

And in contrast to what I had always just assumed until now, it turns out the majority of critics found MATM just as subpar or disappointing as I did:

• David Browne of Entertainment Weekly called "Me Against the Music" "the album's coy, overly busy single".
  •  Dorian Lynskey of The Guardian noted it as "the only duff track" of the album. 
  • Kelefa Sanneh of The New York Times deemed it as "an odd, overstuffed track, not so much a song as a series of party chants".
  • Mim Udovitch of Blender called it "lackluster.”
  • Larry Flick from The Advocate denounced the track as an "'Into the Groove' redux".
  • Ali Fenwick of The Johns Hopkins News-Letter said, "Despite bringing out the big guns in a duet with Madonna, 'Me Against The Music' is not danceable, the measure of success in any pop tune."
  • Spence D. of IGN commented, "Initially catchy, it's ultimately forgettable other than it's the musical counterpart/fallout to/from the duo's lip lock publicity stunt on the 2003 MTV Music Video Awards."
  • Jamie Gill of Yahoo! Music Radio stated that "Madonna's appearance on the brilliantly titled but deeply dreary 'Me Against The Music' was a postmodern prank designed to make all sane listeners think 'actually, American Life was pretty good, after all.'"
  • Stephen Thompson of The A.V. Club wrote, “Never mind the cheesy collaborations that open the proceedings: The Madonna pairing ‘Me Against The Music’ is little more than an excuse for the two to roll around in a video.”
  • A music reporter for The Observer wrote, “According to Ms Spears, working with Madonna was an 'experience beyond words or description'. And the song? A perpetual noise machine. Beyond words or, indeed, description. One enormous sweaty staccato twitch, which gets all the more twitchy when UK producer Rishi Rich gives it a bhangra makeover... kind of Missy Elliott with the dunga-dung-dung replaced by a titchy-tiny Caucasian tushie. In both Rich's mix and Red Zone's original, the arsenal of beats 'n' bumps 'n' grinds and staccato hooks and martial charts leads to the inevitable conclusion. Britney and Madonna fought the music. And the music won.”

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see that the song was really poorly received critically despite having done well commercially, simply because I distinctly remember being disappointed myself whenever the song first premiered, and that had personally never happened with a lead single by Britney before.

• Like 1
On 1/15/2019 at 1:23 PM, LostInAnImage said:

It’s funny, I thought you were exaggerating but then I looked at the current poll results and MATM is in the lead, by far (IGTBB had been in the lead whenever I voted for it much earlier in the day, and I genuinely had thought MATM was commonly considered to be kind of “meh” within the fanbase).

What’s interesting is that I just looked up the critical reviews for MATM, and they’re extremely polarizing, but overwhelmingly negative.

While it’s admittedly a minority, some critics seemingly thought MATM was the best track and/or only possible lead single off the album (Uuhh...Toxic says “GRAMMY!”)

But anyway, here are the relatively few positive reviews:

• The Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic selected "Me Against the Music" as one of the 'track picks' from In the Zone
  • Caryn Ganz of Spin called the song "a fine specimen of Britney 4.0 – a fast-paced dance anthem, all grinding percussion shuttling through a traffic jam of synths."
  • Dave De Sylvia of Sputnikmusic said that "Aside from numerous rather awful name-dropping passages and a disappointing chorus, the track is an ideal way to open the album. It's an up-tempo dance track with a big name attached; what else could you ask for?"
  • Linda McGee of RTÉ.ie commented that although much of the content of In the Zone is "catchy", "it is hard to see any potential singles impressing as much as 'Me Against The Music'.

Additionally, a surprisingly sizable number of critics praised the track itself and/or Britney’s performance, but lambasted Madonna’s as inferior and superfluous: 

• Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine deemed it as "arguably one of Britney's finest moments and one of her mentor's worst". 
  • Nick Southall of Stylus Magazine said that "Madonna vamps it up (literally – her appearance here is not Sapphic but vampiric, the wizened old crone bleeding another period of forced longevity into her career like a cruenating corpse leaking plasma backwards) on 'Me Against The Music', but can't make it a bad tune."
  • Gavin Mueller, also writing for Stylus Magazine, said that the single "benefits from a kinetic garage-inspired beat, even when a tepid Madonna threatens to spoil the fun."
  • While reviewing The Singles Collection, Mayer Nissim of Digital Spy said that "the only arguable weak link is the Madonna-featuring 'Me Against The Music', but in this context what once looked like a respectful passing of the baton now seems like an unconditional surrender of pop Queendom to its rightful heir."

And in contrast to what I had always just assumed until now, it turns out the majority of critics found MATM just as subpar or disappointing as I did:

• David Browne of Entertainment Weekly called "Me Against the Music" "the album's coy, overly busy single".
  •  Dorian Lynskey of The Guardian noted it as "the only duff track" of the album. 
  • Kelefa Sanneh of The New York Times deemed it as "an odd, overstuffed track, not so much a song as a series of party chants".
  • Mim Udovitch of Blender called it "lackluster.”
  • Larry Flick from The Advocate denounced the track as an "'Into the Groove' redux".
  • Ali Fenwick of The Johns Hopkins News-Letter said, "Despite bringing out the big guns in a duet with Madonna, 'Me Against The Music' is not danceable, the measure of success in any pop tune."
  • Spence D. of IGN commented, "Initially catchy, it's ultimately forgettable other than it's the musical counterpart/fallout to/from the duo's lip lock publicity stunt on the 2003 MTV Music Video Awards."
  • Jamie Gill of Yahoo! Music Radio stated that "Madonna's appearance on the brilliantly titled but deeply dreary 'Me Against The Music' was a postmodern prank designed to make all sane listeners think 'actually, American Life was pretty good, after all.'"
  • Stephen Thompson of The A.V. Club wrote, “Never mind the cheesy collaborations that open the proceedings: The Madonna pairing ‘Me Against The Music’ is little more than an excuse for the two to roll around in a video.”
  • A music reporter for The Observer wrote, “According to Ms Spears, working with Madonna was an 'experience beyond words or description'. And the song? A perpetual noise machine. Beyond words or, indeed, description. One enormous sweaty staccato twitch, which gets all the more twitchy when UK producer Rishi Rich gives it a bhangra makeover... kind of Missy Elliott with the dunga-dung-dung replaced by a titchy-tiny Caucasian tushie. In both Rich's mix and Red Zone's original, the arsenal of beats 'n' bumps 'n' grinds and staccato hooks and martial charts leads to the inevitable conclusion. Britney and Madonna fought the music. And the music won.”

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see that the song was really poorly received critically despite having done well commercially, simply because I distinctly remember being disappointed myself whenever the song first premiered, and that had personally never happened with a lead single by Britney before.

Shocked but not surprised. This fanbase seems to have a strong personal bias/grudge against Boom Boom and Outrageous, and I will never understand.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

No, you're spilling the tea and the MATM lovers can stay seething. It's a great song, don't get me wrong, but there are people who actually think MATM is the strongest song on ITZ and that it's at least 50% better than tracks like IGTBB and Outrageous, which are far more melodic and rhythmic.

Is this dignified love typing :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked: wow I love how passionate u were :whiteladydance_scarlett_dancing_happy_johansson: 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Rik said:

Is this dignified love typing :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked: wow I love how passionate u were :whiteladydance_scarlett_dancing_happy_johansson: 

I miss when I had the patience and energy to post like this…now I’m just a washed-up fad who does the bare minimum on here. :meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell:
Also it’s 5 AM and I still haven’t gone/can’t go to sleep HELP  :meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell: IM *****:meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell:

• Haha 1