Is Britney’s Music Timeless?

Brunetteknee

Do you think in 20 or so years, Britney’s music will be legendary like how Elvis and The Beatles have classic hits everyone knows? Personally I think a lot of Britney’s music is very experimental and unique, especially if you listen to everyone else’s music back then. You can tell her music really didn’t sound like anything out back then. That alone makes it pretty timeless to me. Also when I was little I used to think Toxic was a new song (like at least 2007-8 new) and I remember being shocked that it was from 2003. Which usually means a song is really good. At the same time though, I feel like a lot of Brit’s music is filler and has aged badly (70% of bomt and oidia especially e-mail my flop). What do you think? Will brinni’s music stand the test of time?:joanne:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, most definitely. Her first four albums have already gone down as pop classics. Very nostalgic and representative of the late 90s/early 00s sound. There’s something so iconic about each of those albums and how much of a staple they were to the sound of the time. Can’t speak for any of her albums post-ITZ, but it’ll definitely be the weight of her first four that’ll carry her legacy. 

Of course we can't generalize. There are definitely timeless bops, like Toxic, Work *****, etc. 

I understand what you say about the older albums (though they still sound fine to me) but I think something very characteristic of her early songs, especially the ones that are produced by Max Martin, is that even when the standard tracks may sound dated to most people, they can always be brought up to life with a new arrangement and will always sound good. Like the Stronger/Crazy or the BOMT/OIDIA arrangements from POM. Not all of her songs can be remixed or re-arranged to sound fresh, without losing their essence, like, I don't know, Brave New Girl or something. 

I also think the music goes in cycles, so some sounds will eventually be revisited in the future. Like, for a time I felt ITZ was starting to sound a bit dated, but around 2015-2016 I think songs like Breathe on Me could've been easily released as singles then and pass as new songs (I still believe Breathe on Me is that one song that could be release as a single anytime if she wanted to, but it's starting to sound a bit dated again).

We're about to enter a new decade. I've always seen it like:

• in the 90's, 80's were out, but 70's were in
  • in the 00's, 90's were out, but 80's were in (lots of covers and 80's inspired fashion, etc)
  • in the 10's, 90's were in again (with some of the things they borrowed from the 70's) and 00's/80's were out
  • so I'm expecting in the 20's (2020's :o ) the 2000's are in again (and the 90's out)

so probably in the next few years we'll get to see lots of covers from 2000's, or revisiting their sounds and fashion, and Britney was the queen of that decade, despite what anyone says, so probably newer generations will start to dig a little bit on her early career, almost as history lessons, and she becomes kind of trendy again. 

So I was on Gaga daily and I saw some little monsters that are young praising her discography bc they had just listened in full and I think it's so cool when people that are fans of other pop girls have the interest to know britney beyond her hit well known singles 

Can I post the comments here or is it forbidden too as it is to post links of other pop stars' forums? 

I think that after another 20 years the GP will definitely remember BOMT, Oops!, S4U, and Toxic. People who were/are really big stans will keep the rest of her legendary bops alive forever. Those 4 songs can carry her legacy for decades to come. They’re really that big. I honestly can’t believe that everyone doesn’t love Britney like we do. It doesn’t make sense. 

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Of course we can't generalize. There are definitely timeless bops, like Toxic, Work *****, etc. 

I understand what you say about the older albums (though they still sound fine to me) but I think something very characteristic of her early songs, especially the ones that are produced by Max Martin, is that even when the standard tracks may sound dated to most people, they can always be brought up to life with a new arrangement and will always sound good. Like the Stronger/Crazy or the BOMT/OIDIA arrangements from POM. Not all of her songs can be remixed or re-arranged to sound fresh, without losing their essence, like, I don't know, Brave New Girl or something. 

I also think the music goes in cycles, so some sounds will eventually be revisited in the future. Like, for a time I felt ITZ was starting to sound a bit dated, but around 2015-2016 I think songs like Breathe on Me could've been easily released as singles then and pass as new songs (I still believe Breathe on Me is that one song that could be release as a single anytime if she wanted to, but it's starting to sound a bit dated again).

We're about to enter a new decade. I've always seen it like:

• in the 90's, 80's were out, but 70's were in
  • in the 00's, 90's were out, but 80's were in (lots of covers and 80's inspired fashion, etc)
  • in the 10's, 90's were in again (with some of the things they borrowed from the 70's) and 00's/80's were out
  • so I'm expecting in the 20's (2020's :o ) the 2000's are in again (and the 90's out)

so probably in the next few years we'll get to see lots of covers from 2000's, or revisiting their sounds and fashion, and Britney was the queen of that decade, despite what anyone says, so probably newer generations will start to dig a little bit on her early career, almost as history lessons, and she becomes kind of trendy again. 

amen/marry me

53 minutes ago, Avatar said:

Pretty Girls is her most timeless song. :pieceofwhat:

seriously though... most of her songs are kind of timeless. She’s only done trendy songs a handful of times. I think Work ***** and Scream and Scream and Shout are gonna sound dated real soon. 

especially Scream and Scream and Shout :nynod:

6 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Yes, most definitely. Her first 4 albums have already gone down as pop classics. Very nostalgic and representative of the late 90s/early 00s sound. There’s something so iconic about each of those 4 albums and how much of a staple they were to the sound of the time. Can’t speak for any of her albums post-ITZ, but it’ll definitely be the weight of her first 4 that’ll carry her legacy. 

I’d argue her first 5 albums. Blackout did get way less visuals and promo compared to the first 4, but pop artists were trying to recreate blackout for themselves for the next 5-7 years. Also it’s tied in at the height of Britmania.

And, IMO, gimme more is still her best lead single and still still sounds fairly modern today. God, so much iconic timelessness tied to Britney really :makeitrain:

53 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

I’d argue her first 5 albums. Blackout did get way less visuals and promo compared to the first 4, but pop artists were trying to recreate blackout for themselves for the next 5-7 years. Also it’s tied in at the height of Britmania.

And, IMO, gimme more is still her best lead single and still still sounds fairly modern today. God, so much iconic timelessness tied to Britney really :makeitrain:

Gimme more is not her best lead when Bomt, Oops, Slave, and, yes, even MATM exist. In fact, it’s one of her weakest and remains a former tabloid starlet. A talentless, repetitive, washed up medicated plant. A joke who is only respected by white gays.:lessons:

I think many of her hit singles ITZ-prior are timeless and some iconic (but associated with looks)

...Baby and Toxic are definitely her most classic "timeless" songs. Oops, Slave, MATM are honorable mentions imo.

...Baby, Oops, and Crazy (STOP), defined her late 90s/early 00's sound. But ...Baby and Oops were cemented via her iconic looks (School girl and red catsuit)

Then we got Slave, which mostly gets its fame from the iconography which is very important! the VMA 2001 with the snake is an important part of her image.

Toxic has her flight attendant + bollywood sounding + 60s surfer vibe. the 60s sound seems to be something timeless and classic i've noticed? (All I want for Christmas is You, Mariah specifically had it produced in a way that was reminiscent of a classic 60s song without sounding typical 90s)

Post-ITZ can be hit or miss. There's commercial success, timelessness, and iconography?

Idk how to explain it.

41 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

Gimme more is not her best lead when Bomt, Oops, Slave, and, yes, even MATM exist. In fact, it’s one of her weakest and remains a former tabloid starlet. A talentless, repetitive, washed up medicated plant. A joke who is only respected by white gays.:lessons:

Woah my bad for chipping in. 

Like I said, just my opinion. No need to drag sexuality and gender into it. I’ll keep it to myself next time :)

• Super Mods

What’s funny is I never would have thought her old music would age well but like everyone said they have become classics. To think about it, they outlasted most songs of that era and when people do think of the 90s/00s they list BOMT, Oops, Slave etc. especially with oops, Even though I enjoyed it and it is a bop, I thought it was silly but now I can learn to really appreciate it. I think a critic said this before but her songs are easy to sing a long to and hence why people go crazy over the songs and sing it out loud. It’s simple and catchy so yes it can definitely stand the test of time.

Archived