Big Youtuber talks "Original Doll" album

OopsOverprotected

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s cool.  But honestly, I think people do way too much about Original Doll.  ‘Mona Lisa’ and the other tracks we’ve heard are fine, but I doubt the album would have been the amazingly personal, spectacular project that many fans have built up in their heads.  Yeah, it’s great that Britney might have had more creative control, but that doesn’t mean it would have been any better than her other albums.  I feel like Britney stans have overly romanticized it and turned it into this lost work of art when it probably would have been just another very good Britney Spears album. :truthtea:

50 minutes ago, DirtyMind said:

probably would have been just another very good Britney Spears album.

I agree with your whole post but this stuck out to me. I feel like fans build it up in their heads because we think it would have been a different kind of album from her. 

I think a lot of us have a perception that the album would have been her step away from the '****' image that we have come to know, and somehow because of that we act like it would have been a Ray of Light or something. In a sense, they feel as if it wouldn't exactly be a Britney Spears album. 

Who knows though, it's all a mystery to us. Somewhere in a parallel universe the album was released and we could all be jamming to it as we speak:airpls:

• Super Mods
5 hours ago, DirtyMind said:

That’s cool.  But honestly, I think people do way too much about Original Doll.  ‘Mona Lisa’ and the other tracks we’ve heard are fine, but I doubt the album would have been the amazingly personal, spectacular project that many fans have built up in their heads.  Yeah, it’s great that Britney might have had more creative control, but that doesn’t mean it would have been any better than her other albums.  I feel like Britney stans have overly romanticized it and turned it into this lost work of art when it probably would have been just another very good Britney Spears album. :truthtea:

I think it could’ve been a great step in the right direction. In the zone is a masterpiece but the critics still didn’t take the album seriously so I think this would made people turn their heads. I agree it wouldn’t be like this work of art but it would help transition her to being a more serious artists and even if it failed, it would at least allow her more freedom todabble more into serious music instead of just pop dance tunes. Kinda like how Butterfly was to Mariah. 

28 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I think it could’ve been a great step in the right direction. In the zone is a masterpiece but the critics still didn’t take the album seriously so I think this would made people turn their heads. I agree it wouldn’t be like this work of art but it would help transition her to being a more serious artists and even if it failed, it would at least allow her more freedom todabble more into serious music instead of just pop dance tunes. Kinda like how Butterfly was to Mariah. 

You’re right- a serious, introspective album could have helped her transition into a more adult artist and earned her credibility, but it also could have bombed and set her back even further.  I doubt critics would have raved about songs like ‘Mona Lisa’, ‘Welcome to Me’, ‘Money, Love & Happiness’, etc., any more than they did her other material.  And if she had gone down that path, we probably wouldn’t have gotten Blackout, which is also a masterpiece and is widely seen as not only Britney’s best album, but one of the best pop albums ever.  So, it’s a pretty big catch-22. :whatitellu:

Had Britney Jean not been released, imagine how big of a story it'd be. Like, all the promo was centered around it being her most personal album, let's say a low quality demo for Perfume leaked, it'd have all the stans go crazy for it; but it's mainly because they (we) can't have it. I've delved into that theory of it being her best album but never released, but it's a bit tin-foiley. Britney releasing a full album written only by her would've been different, but that doesn't mean it would've been better than ITZ, for example, or the masterpiece that Blackout would be.

We only factually know that Mona Lisa was going to be in that album, no other song has been confirmed. Mona Lisa is underrated as a song and I really like it, but the story is too much for what it is.

I doubt she recorded much for the album. 2004 sessions seem to be a mystery considering she was busy most of the time.

"Mona Lisa" is ok, but it's not single material. The rest that leaked and fans make it sound like it was all recorded for ORIGINAL DOLL (when in fact most are ITZ rejects) wasn't that good.

Unpopular opinion: I think it would have been Britney's first real flop, and her team / label were able to postpone that event until the release of Britney Jean. I like the Monalisa track, but it seems to me Do Somethin' / My Prerogative / Monalisa would cue the album's style, and it wouldn't have been that successful if that's the case. Blackout coming later on was probably a much better official follow up to In The Zone;

If the Real Britney fans, especially at the time, have no idea what happened, how the general public will have it?Although I like that they talk about Original Doll.Honestly, I do not care if it was a flop ,it was her personal project in which she believed that for me that important as a fan.

I do think a couple of the leaked songs that some fans attribute to those sessions were early demos as it is with most album productions, just on a much lower budget and a more limited writing camp because she went 'rogue' and didn't have the connects, which I think is slightly evident with the Kiis interview.

Britney was probably overtly passionate talking about this project in the bubble of her dancers, Kevin and her band etc on the Onyx Hotel tour, and in that vibe, her confidence to create such a project on her own backing grew more legs than it ever would have done in the offices. Therein lies the conflict of interests. Jive would have felt insulted by this and shelved it ASAP to show their might...which was either the catalyst or the tipping point to sadly start her breakdown. (This might also be another reason why she has never addressed the breakdown publicly, because it might personally insult someone higher up in the industry who may still have some pull over her career?).

I think a lot of the mystique was over-hyped by fans and still is today, but I can understand the 'craving' to hear more about it because not only was this a 'personal' record, but it was also a rebellious one, and the closest we've seen of her rebellious side in music is Blackout which has a huge status within her fanbase.

Whether she would have had commercial success is highly debatable because not only do we not have any proof of which songs were recorded for it, we also have no idea which would have been serious contenders and what would have been left on the cutting room floor. Maybe 10, 20 years from now, we might hear from the (radar) horses mouth in a book or interview, who knows.

But as a fan since day dot, good or bad - it's all subjective. I'd just like to hear the songs one day.

7 minutes ago, yorkster said:

I do think a couple of the leaked songs that some fans attribute to those sessions were early demos as it is with most album productions, just on a much lower budget and a more limited writing camp because she went 'rogue' and didn't have the connects, which I think is slightly evident with the Kiis interview.

Britney was probably overtly passionate talking about this project in the bubble of her dancers, Kevin and her band etc on the Onyx Hotel tour, and in that vibe, her confidence to create such a project on her own backing grew more legs than it ever would have done in the offices. Therein lies the conflict of interests. Jive would have felt insulted by this and shelved it ASAP to show their might...which was either the catalyst or the tipping point to sadly start her breakdown. (This might also be another reason why she has never addressed the breakdown publicly, because it might personally insult someone higher up in the industry who may still have some pull over her career?).

I think a lot of the mystique was over-hyped by fans and still is today, but I can understand the 'craving' to hear more about it because not only was this a 'personal' record, but it was also a rebellious one, and the closest we've seen of her rebellious side in music is Blackout which has a huge status within her fanbase.

Whether she would have had commercial success is highly debatable because not only do we not have any proof of which songs were recorded for it, we also have no idea which would have been serious contenders and what would have been left on the cutting room floor. Maybe 10, 20 years from now, we might hear from the (radar) horses mouth in a book or interview, who knows.

But as a fan since day dot, good or bad - it's all subjective. I'd just like to hear the songs one day.

Agreed. I think Britney had reached being her highest point in being fed up she wasn’t allowed full creative control. We’ll never really know what this project was unless she comes out and says it, but it’s most certainly been read into too much by fans and Michelle Bell hasn’t helped with her “demos”. I think this album was just the extremely early phases of blackout. I don’t agree with the video guy who said that album lacked personal feelings because that album very well represented Britney at that point in time. Media scrutiny and partying.

Archived