Are there any Britney performances between 1999-2004 that you dislike?

LostInAnImage

For me, I just don’t quite get this one:

Like, all the ingredients were there for an incredible performance (fantastic costume and overall look, great song choices, pyrotechnics, etc), but it was just kind of messy overall.

She did two of her biggest dance songs ever (MATM and Slave), and instead of doing the choreography, she was pretending to be singing live with a mic in her hand (although there were a few moments of live vocals in the very beginning, it was mostly really obviously prerecorded), putting some rather unflattering sunglasses on for two seconds and then taking them off:

britney-spears-columbus-short-2003-billb

Then using a microphone stand for a millisecond to lipsynch the talking parts in Slave just long enough to put on a single glove, and at yet another point putting on a hat and big jacket in order to sneak around the stage to BOMT:

4X7N.gif

It’s just all over the place in my opinion and it should’ve been an amazing performance given the kind of dancing she was doing at the time and how incredible she looked.

I will say, however, the last few moments of her circling around that fire LOOKED insanely badass, but even then she was barely dancing for some reason:

1354157262_11-britney-spears-1500.jpg

This is like the only Britney performance where the stills are actually more impressive than the video itself.

Also, despite being the consummate pop performer already in 2000, I honestly can’t watch this because the vocals are so bad:

I know it’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation with Britney, because when she lipsynchs everyone complains, but then when she sings live everyone also complains about it sounding bad.

I’m not normally one to focus on minor vocal issues like the occasional crack in one’s voice or going slightly off-key, but the singing here is honestly just really bad, to the point it detracts from the performance.

Are there any performances from Britney’s career peak that you’ve never been a big fan of?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, unpopular opinion, but her performance of MATM at the AMAS:

It’s clearly a major Primeney performance, but I’ve revisited it like a handful of times in the past decade. Like the ones listed in the OP, all the right ingredients were there to make this an impactful moment to obsess over for years. Britney looked fab, and Primeney performances of MATM were slayage. This outfit is hot, but something about it felt restricting, like she couldn’t really go in with the choreography like she usually does with this routine. Visually, there’s almost too much going on. And as epic as that exit was, for some reason it seemed to make the performance feel cut short. Idk, something didn’t quite gel for me.

2 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

For me, I just don’t quite get this one:

Like, all the ingredients were there for an incredible performance (fantastic costume and overall look, great song choices, pyrotechnics, etc), but it was just kind of messy overall.

She did two of her biggest dance songs ever (MATM and Slave), and instead of doing the choreography, she was pretending to be singing live with a mic in her hand (although there were a few moments of live vocals in the very beginning, it was mostly really obviously prerecorded), putting some rather unflattering sunglasses on for two seconds and then taking them off:

britney-spears-columbus-short-2003-billb

Then using a microphone stand for a millisecond to lipsynch the talking parts in Slave just long enough to put on a single glove, and at yet another point putting on a hat and big jacket in order to sneak around the stage to BOMT:

4X7N.gif

It’s just all over the place in my opinion and it should’ve been an amazing performance given the kind of dancing she was doing at the time and how incredible she looked.

I will say, however, the last few moments of her circling around that fire LOOKED insanely badass, but even then she was barely dancing for some reason:

1354157262_11-britney-spears-1500.jpg

This is like the only Britney performance where the stills are actually more impressive than the video itself.

Also, despite being the consummate pop performer already in 2000, I honestly can’t watch this because the vocals are so bad:

I know it’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation with Britney, because when she lipsynchs everyone complains, but then when she sings live everyone also complains about it sounding bad.

I’m not normally one to focus on minor vocal issues like the occasional crack in one’s voice or going slightly off-key, but the singing here is honestly just really bad, to the point it detracts from the performance.

Are there any performances from Britney’s career peak that you’ve never been a big fan of?

This was a mess tbh :mhm:

Just now, ralphcornio said:

This was a mess tbh :mhm:

Yeah I remember waking up early to record that when it aired live. The BOMT when she’s sitting at the desk, cringe. And then right after the OOps breakdown, when she’s winded, all you can hear are the backup singers singing off-key, cringe! She’s singing live, but she seemed like short of breath that day

- World Music Awards 1999

- Disney Summer Jam 1999

- Good Morning America 2000

- NFL Kickoff 2003

- American Music Awards 2003 (Great set-up, costumes and direction, but the performance was underwhelming for such an extravaganza) 

Overall, I think this takes the cake for being her most lackluster, forgettable major televised performance from 1999-2004. She's just standing there looking like a stiff cardboard cut-out. Messy hair, messy outfit, messy vocals, messy stage, messy everything.

1 hour ago, Dark.Knight said:

I have a couple of award performances that are just ok but nothing wow to me

I’m surprised the Toxic NRJ performance is on your list. It’s one of my favorites of hers. I actually really like this slave one too (the water is so cool), but they played this New Year’s Eve (2011 I think) on tv for one of those New Years countdown shows, and I was SO confused. I didn’t know she ever did this performance and I couldn’t understand why she was performing Slave live in 2011. It was weird. I don’t know why they played in 10 years later and made it seem like it was current, but It really threw me off. 

1 minute ago, Urbanney said:

I’m surprised the Toxic NRJ performance is on your list. It’s one of my favorites of hers. I actually really like this slave one too (the water is so cool), but they played this New Year’s Eve 2011 I think on tv and I was SO confused. I didn’t know she ever had this performance and I couldn’t understand why she was performing Slave live in 2011. It was weird. I don’t know why they played in 10 years later but It really threw me off. 

They did?? That’s really odd. By 2011 This Video was very outdated though...

4 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I’m surprised the Toxic NRJ performance is on your list. It’s one of my favorites of hers. I actually really like this slave one too (the water is so cool), but they played this New Year’s Eve (2011 I think) on tv for one of those New Years countdown shows, and I was SO confused. I didn’t know she ever did this performance and I couldn’t understand why she was performing Slave live in 2011. It was weird. I don’t know why they played in 10 years later and made it seem like it was current, but It really threw me off. 

i didnt know that :orangu: 

the water effects are cool but i believe that's normal of that place, Britney just happened to be in there

toxic was a good performance but it was just ok for me, i like the ABC version better

1 hour ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

The NFL kickoff was epic. Loved the referee costume, loved the prerecorded/live vocals, love the choreo, the remix of BOMT (esp the whole Drag King look) and that Slave breakdown with the fire!!! How can you not like it? Along with the Amas Stronger, these are my two most underrated performances :bichpls:

I would’ve far preferred her doing the full MATM and Slave choreo rather than strutting around with a handheld microphone pretending to sing live, and putting on a bunch of accessories and then removing them immediately, seemingly just to take up time. It just didn’t make sense to me. But I figured most people liked it and my opinion would be in the minority. :) 

But I completely agree that Stronger at the AMAs was incredible!  

2 hours ago, Khoazie said:

Ok, unpopular opinion, but her performance of MATM at the AMAS:

It’s clearly a major Primeney performance, but I’ve revisited it like a handful of times in the past decade. Like the ones listed in the OP, all the right ingredients were there to make this an impactful moment to obsess over for years. Britney looked fab, and Primeney performances of MATM were slayage. This outfit is hot, but something about it felt restricting, like she couldn’t really go in with the choreography like she usually does with this routine. Visually, there’s almost too much going on. And as epic as that exit was, for some reason it seemed to make the performance feel cut short. Idk, something didn’t quite gel for me.

I actually completely agree with all of this. It’s like the performance keeps building up to where you’re expecting this “wow” moment—an amazing dance break, some huge surprise like the VMA snake, etc—but the climax never occurs. 

It’s one of my favorite ever looks that she’s had for a performance, though!

27 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

Omg AMAS Stronger remains one of my favorite Primeney performances of all time, it’s unbelievable how underrated it is within the fanbase. It doesn’t get talked about enough, especially considering she played host and had like 8 or 9 outfit changes thoughout that evening in addition to giving us this gem. The hair flips and energy are all amazing, and she’s aggressive yet feminine here. She looks beautiful. And for some reason people completely overlooked the MJ tribute/reference, which adds to its brilliance. The way she hands off the microphone to a backup dancer, does a breakdown, and then smoothly takes the microphone back from the dancer, and seemingly becomes possessed by Jennifer Batten’s Guitar. And then! It keeps going with the DE-WIGGING of the backup dancers and Britney breaks into a rap. :airpls:

A 20 outta 10! :clap:

18 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

I would’ve far preferred her doing the full MATM and Slave choreo rather than strutting around with a handheld microphone pretending to sing live, and putting on a bunch of accessories and then removing them immediately, seemingly just to take up time. It just didn’t make sense to me. But I figured most people liked it and my opinion would be in the minority. :) 

Lol as you can see, im a sucker for those rare moments when she has that handheld mic. Theres such something commanding and BOSS about it. Which is why i soo want those night club videos from this era:crying1:

42 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

That is super weird they would air the performance a decade later! This was from the Billboard Music Awards in 2001, at the Bellagio Hotel in Vegas. Those fountains are always there, they look pretty cool in person:

giphy.gif

I thought they did a good job with balancing the aerial shots along with showing the choreography. I loved her costume there, too.

I remember watching this live and being unhappy that Destiny’s Child swept every award within every single category and Britney didn’t win anything. :orangu:

10 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

That is super weird they would air the performance a decade later! This was from the Billboard Music Awards in 2001, at the Bellagio Hotel in Vegas. Those fountains are always there, but I thought they did a good job with balancing the aerial shots along with showing the choreography. I loved her costume here, too.

I remember watching this live and being unhappy that Destiny’s Child swept every award within every single category and Britney didn’t win anything. :orangu:

Lol i remember being pissed off that they performed Whats Going On without Britney. :ririshade1:

17 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

Which is why i soo want those night club videos from this era:crying1:

The clips of the Rain nightclub performance of BOM. This performance should’ve been my favorite of BOM live. It had the potential of beating out ABC’s version. It looked so sultry! I swear my life won’t be complete until we get the full version :(

Archived