BOMT Choreographer Randy Connor discusses Britney and the Iconic Video

generation glory

w810zk.jpg

Fans always reference Brian, Andre and Wade when they mention Britney’s iconic choreography throughout the years but what about the guy who taught Britney the BOMT choreo. Before I read this I didn’t know his name. Randy Connor choreographed ‘Baby’. His work has stood the test of time. So flawless. I don’t think he’s gotten enough recognition and credit that I think he deserves. Here he reminisces on his experience working with a 16 year old Britney Spears. (Thank You, Randy!!) I posted his quotes in case the link doesn’t work. :)

Britney was no record label’s puppet,” says Randy.

She had a key voice in the production and her creative touches made the video iconic. The school class was her idea, which she convinced the management would be better than their idea. "Britney wanted the video to relate to her fans and their experiences, so felt a school was more natural and realistic to them and her personality. “The idea was they are daydreaming about getting out and having fun, remembering a guy she broke up with.”

Britney talked Randy and director Nigel **** around on the school theme at the 11th hour and they grabbed the outfit from a department store. “It was kinda last minute but Nigel and I thought it was a fantastic idea,” says Randy. “All the uniforms were picked up from K-Mart for about £19 with costumiers working fast to get them fitted. “After a couple of takes Britney felt that the tails of the shirt were getting in the way of her hand movements. So before another take she tied a knot in the shirt. It happened naturally. She was in fantastic shape so her midriff was toned.

“I heard she kept that outfit. It has become an iconic look. It is now one of people’s go-to costumes for Halloween.” When the video was released, its impact on pop culture was seismic. “It was innocent in its conception, but the integration of the styling and choreography created that edge,” says Randy.

Bosses at Jive Records teamed Randy with Britney in late 1997 after signing her to be “the next big thing”. Preparations included her learning acrobatics, having six-hour rehearsal sessions, five days a week, before writing and recording sessions. Randy says: “Jive saw Britney as their next big project. And their plan was not simply to knock out a quick song and video but to grow and build her as an entertainer. We wanted to create moves that would have people hooked.

She learned acrobatics and practised for hours. She is a natural athlete and fast learner, who just relished every rehearsal. “When I looked into her eyes I saw a genuine, sincere kid, a young girl, who was driven and willing to work 150%. She never complained.”

Baby One More Time was filmed over two days at Venice House School in LA – the site used to film Grease in 1978. Randy, 47, says: “It was relentless but there were no complaints because this was her passion. “I lost count of how many backflips she did. It was groundbreaking too with the casting, because we had a diverse cast of dancers – which represented what the truth about American schools.” Britney even did a Dirty Dancing lift but it was cut from the final edit. “It was an incredible moment where Britney ran and jumped into the arms of our lead dancer,” says Randy. “It was beautiful.”

Randy says when Britney was shown the finished video, she almost broke her bed jumping around at her hotel. She knew it was special and proud her idea came good,” he says. “Her look and sound were different. Straight after, everyone knew the words, kids were doing the choreography and it was all over radio. After its release it took a life of its own.”

And Randy says while she owes so much to Baby One More Time, Britney also got where she is because of the work ethic, determination, resilience and creativity she showed him in those two days in LA – and she still has 20 years on. She had hunger and drive to be an artist, not just a star, and a real pro,” he says. “The fact she is still where she is now tells the story.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/britney-spears-baby-one-more-13455282.amp

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...
On 10/27/2018 at 1:32 AM, generation glory said:

w810zk.jpg

Britney was no record label’s puppet,” says Randy.

She had a key voice in the production and her creative touches made the video iconic. The school class was her idea, which she convinced the management would be better than their idea. "Britney wanted the video to relate to her fans and their experiences, so felt a school was more natural and realistic to them and her personality. “The idea was they are daydreaming about getting out and having fun, remembering a guy she broke up with.”

:umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide: Queen of PR. This literally worked on me back then. I was in like 2nd grade but could relate to her pen-tapping wanting to get out of the classrom at the start of the MV lmao

On 10/26/2018 at 8:32 PM, generation glory said:

Britney also got where she is because of the work ethic, determination, resilience and creativity she showed him in those two days in LA – and she still has 20 years on. She had hunger and drive to be an artist, not just a star, and a real pro,” he says. “The fact she is still where she is now tells the story.

And may no one ever forget this, fan or not

On 1/12/2021 at 3:13 AM, PokemonSpears said:

The Dirty Dancing lift is actually something extra she did in the video, were she ran and then got picked. Here she got picked from the ground, it's not the same thing he's talking about. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: It's a shame both things got cut and she never did the choreography from the bridge in a live performance. :britstare11_britney_ftr_for_the_record_annoyed_tired_irritated_sigh:

Archived