Femme Fatale's lost opportunity

OopsOverprotected

I listened to the album today and I must say the album had A LOT OF POTENTIAL.

The visuals for the music videos were there

The songs were BOPS (except Britney's voice sounding really robotic, they should've kept it more natural)

I know the era was quite successful chart-wise but I feel like if Primeney performed the songs and brought herself more into the promotion the era could've easily been A REALLY GOOD era. 

Glory for example is a really good album as well BUT no interesting personality, no "prime"-near performances, no visuals.

Ever since Britney Jean I feel like Brit lost her ICONIC level. Nothing after FF was being considered iconic and Britney is known for being an icon.

Work B is a good workout anthem but that's it. 

Well IDK Team B really need to step up for B10 to be still in the game. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the Femme Fatal era, exhalers were a huge mess about the album underperforming commercially, and even then, I agreed.

Fast-forward to 2018, and FF seems like the last time brit had an impact on the gp. Saying it had potential seems random. 

I miss chartney. 

The era was definitely a missed opportunity. It still did very well of course, but still. Had Britney been in a better place in her life, and her team and label pushed the album harder (and more singles of course) the album would easily be 2x platinum and she would probably have a few more top15/20 moderate hits under her belt (I think UND and IO COULD have hit top10 with a strong push that probably never would have happened). 

I think they could have also pushed the whole dubstep-thing a bit further. Maybe they could have re-released the album with a hot new single and one final video, a couple other new songs and a couple of actual dubstep remixes done by prominent dubstep djs. 

16 minutes ago, ElijahWood said:

The era was definitely a missed opportunity. It still did very well of course, but still. Had Britney been in a better place in her life, and her team and label pushed the album harder (and more singles of course) the album would easily be 2x platinum and she would probably have a few more top15/20 moderate hits under her belt (I think UND and IO COULD have hit top10 with a strong push that probably never would have happened). 

I think they could have also pushed the whole dubstep-thing a bit further. Maybe they could have re-released the album with a hot new single and one final video, a couple other new songs and a couple of actual dubstep remixes done by prominent dubstep djs. 

It seems as if RCAs prime go to is to give up on an album and singles very fast. Do they not have to coin to push their artists further? 

Trip to Your Heart should've been the 5th single :donewithit:

Actually, I think FF had the potential to be extended way into 2012, before the X Factor, with at least a couple of singles more. Criminal wasn't a strong song, but it was the first time she looked decent in a music video, probably since Radar. They should've taken advantage of this less sedated Britney and release more videoclips before she was gone again. TTYH, Up 'n Down, Selfish, Scary, Inside Out, even How I Roll or Trouble for Me, there were many potential bops that still sounded fresh by 2012.

I don't know if it's the same with all the artists, but at least with Britney, I think this attitude or logic of scrapping the entire era the moment ONE single flops, has been their ruin. Ok, not their ruin because they still have somewhat success, but I've always found so stupid this reasoning of scrapping the other dozen of songs the album has left just for one single that isn't a hit (most of the times because of their own fault). Criminal was an ok song, I mean, it was Max Martin, and the video was really nice, but it got blocked on YT. No live performance, no promotion, of course it was gonna flop. Why not release then right away another club banger like the first three singles, to try to erase that stain that Criminal left?

I don't know if it's Britney, her team, the record label, or who decides like, "this is it, it's over". Or they just let the time pass without any of the parts actually saying anything until after a considerable amount of time, everyone just assumes the era is over, or what. Maybe that's the part of the music industry model that I don't understand, but I see like, you have a collection of items you're selling at a store, but they're all very varied, and you pick one to feature it, and put it on display, and it doesn't sell well, and then without even thinking twice, you just scrap the whole collection, and move on to the next project, without thinking, that peeerhaaaps another item from your collection could've attracted people to buy more of your stuff.

I understand when there's albums like that Prism record by Katy Perry I listened ONLY once, and you hear song after song and you never know when a song starts or finishes because they all sound the same. "Cohesive" they say :britoverit: If she released a song of them, and flops, I agree there's no point in releasing another one, if they all sound the same. But Britney's records are always so varied, and the singles we've had don't represent the entire albums most of the times.

It's incredible the amount of songs Britney's team had wasted throughout the years. So many rhythms and genres that Britney has explored and that the general public will never know she has. If Criminal flopped, or Perfume or Slumber Party, in all the cases there were 15 other songs, totally different, that could've probably done the trick. Circus, FF, you name it. BRITNEY JEAN!! They could've gone for the club bangers if they wanted to, or go urban, or go classic Britney with songs like Alien or Passenger, or release more ballads like Don't Cry and Hold on Tight. Heck, they could've even hit Christian radio stations with Brightest Morning Star. They literally just had to take a chance and release whatever they wanted to, but instead, they just let the album die. And I won't even start with Glory.

And I'm not speaking just as a fan, I think even as a business point of view, there must be some kind of term in Economic Sciences for not taking advantage of what you produce. If I was a big record label eager of money, I would squeeze till the last drop of money to each and every song that my artists record. Upload lyric videos, send songs to radio ( as official singles and not just for testing like they did with BJ),release some remixes, upload the live performances to YT, I don't know, how expensive can any of that be? :beynah:

4 hours ago, WilderWein said:

It was promoted very well and had some if her last biggest hits. I dont see the lost opportunity.

It has big hits! That's why I am saying that FF had so much mooore potential.

Britney was not herself during that time and the album was still so successful. Imagine her being motivated, interested and having the same drive as in her prime. 

FF would've been definitely part of the Holy Trinity. 

I loved the album when it was released and I still do. It has so many bops on it. And yeah looking back it was Britney's last real successful album and gave her 3 top ten hits. I only wish the singles did well in my country, and that the promo in the era was better and Britney put a bit more effort into it.

It’s 100% the label’s decision to ditch a project when a single or project doesn’t do well. She even said in her Flaunt interview that she works hard at creating the album, but once it’s done, everything else is chosen for her. She doesn’t know firsthand when or what is being released. Which, if she’s fine with that, then so be it.

With that being said, there’s no reason they couldn’t take a page out of Cardi B’s book. Her team/label is highly focused on her exposure and “rise” that, a couple songs of hers haven’t caught on as much as others- but you know what they did? Immediately put out another song. Another video. They don’t give up because then all the work prior to that would be for nothing.

Again, I’m down for whatever Brit feels comfortable with....but if I was her, I would feel personally hurt if my entire piece of work is put on a shelf because of one poor decision (that I didn’t even make).

I really like the Femme Fatale album! I think the whole album is great and I definitely enjoy listening to almost all of the songs in it. I like its singles and music videos as well (there was also a Femme Fatale tour) so I don't think that it is a lost opportunity, but I hope the next Britney album will be like Femme Fatale or even better :awks:

Tbh, Femme Fatale is the only Britney album that I enjoy listening to from the beginning till the end since Blackout. :makeitrain:

Archived