Circus Tour: 10 years on

Cigarettes&Cologne

so i never got to see the circus tour live. i remember at the time being underwhelmed by what i saw online, but i just watched the whole show on youtube and i can't believe the criticism of POM after seeing circus. even if the choreo is bad, she has nervous tics, at least she is dancing and on stage for the whole show.

- circus was full of props and (some) great costumes, but she is basically being carted around stage one way or another for most of the performance... people are just moving her around on props or she skips :plzexplain:

- it's full of poseography, her biggest dance hits like toxic, matm, she barely moved... in POM, even if she is stiff and the choreo is corny, she still tries and has gotten much more fluid and energetic compared to the Circus tour

- the set list was very confusing considering it was touring Circus. it was mostly Blackout/ITZ and just had the Circus singles :decisions:

- Radar and Boys were my fav performances, for most of the others i was just bored

what are people's reflections 10 years on? 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I've been on this forum for 10 years already, and to be honest, I was never shocked by this tour. Yes, she looked gorgeous, the stage was innovative, the live band was cool. But she wasn't even dancing, she had some amazing outfits but also had HORRIBLE outfits, and the playback was as bad as the POM tour. 

So yes, for me, since the breakdown the best we had from her was POMney 2.0 (2016). 

I really like the Circus tour because it had a theme, an amazing stage and the props were well made imo. I wish she would do more themes when she’s going on tour because that’s the thing, you want to live and experience a fantasy/story for the next two hours and she didn’t deliver that since FF. POM was just greatest hits but there was no storyline. 

I think everything has its pros and cons. People always complain about the "Walkus" tour. Of course she had to walk or skip, or be moved around on props, because the stage was big af. 

She did have her ugly outfits every once in a while, but in general they were more beautiful and more suiting than the POM ones. And even the quality was better, even if the design was not that pretty. POM had its nice outfits too, they just weren't the majority of them.

POM at some point had some choreo, that she used to "execute", but that choreo, I'm talking about the beginning of the residency, was ugly, robotic and pointless in most cases. Circus had more poses and armorgraphy, just simpler in general, but it somehow suited her style better, it was easier for her, and she looked like she was actually feeling the songs while performing. It didn't look like she was counting steps, and if she missed one, there wasn't a problem. In POM, whenever she missed a move, she would become a nervous wreck and do all the following steps at 10000x speed, which looked awful.

I agree the Circus setlist was basically a Blackout/ITZ tour and that's something I've never liked. Or I understand she would leave out some classics like Stronger, Overprotected or Crazy, but the fact that she didn't include OIDIA was unforgivable :kyliecry: In that aspect, I think POM has actually the best setlist out of all of her tours / shows, just because it includes her best songs.

For me it isn't easy to rank her tours anymore, especially comparing them to POM residency which had so many different phases. But for example, comparing Circus to FF, at least in Circus she still got a sense of rhythm while moving, something she completely lost for FFT. And I think it's still lacking in POM, even though she's improved a lot. Her freestyle nowadays it's just rapid crouch movements, head tilts, or the shaking hand, as if she wasn't even listening to the beat of the songs. 

So if we could have the best aspects of Circus and the best of POM, I think it would be awesome for everyone, but we just can't never get everything :mcry:

22 minutes ago, Avatar said:

The Circus tour like POM had its good and bad dates. But Circusney dances circles around POMney. Circusney had her natural fluidity, she still performed like it was natural.

i prefer seeing her put the effort in to trying to nail it like she did for POM, even if it's less fluid, but each to their own :verycool:

lol @ people defending Circus :weusay:

It's honestly sad to watch any footage of this tour. Like you said, she's just being carted around the whole time. She was so not feeling it and you can feel that. And I don't blame her tbh! She needed a break, not to be on a world tour. 

The stage and dancers and props are all just smoke and mirrors to distract from the fact that she was doing nothing up there

:umwtf:

5 hours ago, rck92 said:

I really like the Circus tour because it had a theme, an amazing stage and the props were well made imo. I wish she would do more themes when she’s going on tour because that’s the thing, you want to live and experience a fantasy/story for the next two hours and she didn’t deliver that since FF. POM was just greatest hits but there was no storyline. 

Yes! I’m a big fan of having a cohesiveness with the visuals. 

The Circus Tour was the first tour I ever saw online/YouTube videos of. My parents got WiFi sooo late. I didn’t get a MySpace account until like, 2007. But I was totes there for the Rise of Jeffree Star. It was so surreal. It was a crazy time for music in general and that being mixed with the internet and online videos. It was honestly better back then because not everything was immediate and there was that real anticipation because every album or single and music video release was a big media event. It was the era of the Pop Star. We’ve lost that. The music scene is so dead now. Like, it’s so passé 

Oh, hey gurl. I’m high.  :jj:   :hiii:   :tifflmao:

3 minutes ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

It was the era of the Pop Star. We’ve lost that. The music scene is so dead now. Like, it’s so passé 

Oh, hey gurl. I’m high.  :jj:   :hiii:   :tifflmao:

Yes! Weed and pop culture go well together. 

5 hours ago, Cigarettes&Cologne said:

really? i'm going to call it the squatty potty. how can a move like the butt wipe get so much hate when she is literally just squatting over and over again in the same spot here :xfactorlook:

Because at least it goes with the music and it's somewhat more challenging than just wiping her butt, or spreading the fart or however you wanna call it lol 

I think it's sillier the little jump she did for BOMT (I think it was BOMT haha) but still it kinda works. I don't know how to explain it, the Circus moves might be silly, but it's like she's conscious of it, and she's doing it on purpose. But the POM moves are supposed to be real, serious moves, but they aren't challenging, they don't look good, they don't go with the music and they're not even funny (until you decide to laugh at it instead of crying, like I did a long time ago) 

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think it's sillier the little jump she did for BOMT (I think it was BOMT haha) but still it kinda works. I don't know how to explain it, the Circus moves might be silly, but it's like she's conscious of it, and she's doing it on purpose. But the POM moves are supposed to be real, serious moves, but they aren't challenging, they don't look good, they don't go with the music and they're not even funny (until you decide to laugh at it instead of crying, like I did a long time ago) 

None of those supposed silly moves look good at all, regardless if she's conscious or not, one or two ok, she's enjoying the performance but an entire act with silly moves after more silly moves after more.... God it ends up looking uncomfortable to watch 

Example: Crazy on the Onyx Hotel Tour, it's a fun song and she's supposed to be playing around the stage, one or two silly gestures here and there but always sticked to the performance.

Well, just an opinion. :raven:

Archived