2004: Enter the "Rebellion Phase"

2004 was the real start of Britney's rebellion.  

4df89dffd36a99e56f3912ccabbe70b7.jpg

By this point, Britney was no longer a stranger to the tabloids and gossip outlets.  She had had various moments of erratic behavior in 2002 and 2003, but nothing that would seem that out of the ordinary for someone in their early 20's.  At the start of 2004, Britney came out of left field however with a surprise that would go down forever as one of the most infamous moments in Britney history.

"It was me being silly, being rebellious, and not really taking the responsibility of what I was doing, you know? And after partying, you know, you really don't think about what you're doing. So it was one of those things that were really silly," Spears told E! (source: Spears Calls Vegas Wedding Her Rebellion)

January 3 - Britney partied in Las Vegas with her childhood friend Jason Allen Alexander and married him at a small chapel shot-gun style.  This was her first marriage, at the age of 22. 

rs-13959-20140103-britney-x1800-1388775766.jpg?crop=900:600&width=1440

Spoiler

Source: Britney Spears’ Shotgun Wedding

Sam Lansky  |  January 3, 2014

Ten years ago today, Britney Spears decamped to Las Vegas with her childhood friend Jason Allen Alexander, and like so many love-drunk (and possibly other kinds of inebriated) young people, decided to get hitched. Perhaps realizing her poor judgment, Spears had the marriage annulled a mere 55 hours later, but the whirlwind romance remains one of the most thrillingly sudsy stories of the pop starlet’s peak years. Now, as she’s back in Las Vegas for her two-year Planet Hollywood Piece of Me residency, she’s the topic of conversation in Sin City for other, less paparazzi-worthy reasons — but the sheer weirdness and starry-eyed lunacy of the wedding remains an indelible part of Spears lore.

Here now, an authoritative and eyewitness account of the short-lived Spears-Alexander marriage:

Wednesday, December 31st

In town for New Year’s Eve, Britney Spears parties hard at both Rain and Ghostbar at the Palms, at one point crossing paths with Kobe and Vanessa Bryant. Later, she returns to her room in the Palms’ famed Real World Suite. She’s registered at the hotel under the name Alotta Warmheart.

britney-spears-jason-alexander-party-time.jpg

Thursday, January 1st

During prime party hours, Spears hits the dance floor at Rain, where she is seen grooving with a number of other guests — including her childhood friend, Kentwood, Louisiana, native Jason Alexander, who Spears had had flown in to Las Vegas via private jet earlier that day. She was also also seen at the club in the VIP section kissing one of her female backup dancers. 

Friday, January 2nd 

Spears and friends go see an evening screening of the Julia Roberts’ flick Mona Lisa Smile, then head back to the Palms and Ghostbar.

rs-13960-20140103-britney1-x600-1388775936.jpg

Saturday, January 3rd

After midnight, Spears and Alexander retreat to her suite at the hotel, where they watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Somehow feeling romantically inspired, the pair decide to marry.

“It was just so crazy, man,” Alexander later told Access Hollywood. “We were just looking at each other and said, ‘Let’s do something wild, crazy. Let’s go get married, just for the hell of it.'”

14460495905334.jpg

Around 3:30 a.m. Spears and Alexander rent a lime-green stretch limo and a Palms bellman drives them to the city’s A Little White Wedding Chapel, notorious for its quickie marriages.

“I guess the limousine driver got fired, because he had no business taking them out,” says Charolette Richards, owner of the chapel. “Beautiful gal — all I could tell you. She was one very beautiful lady and she was not drunk.”

(In a 2012 interview, Alexander said the two had been drinking and also indulged in “party favors.”)

Upon arrival at the chapel, the two are told they need a wedding license. Undeterred, they continue on to the Clark County Courthouse.

There, sometime near 4:30 a.m., Spears provides proof of her age and her social security number in order to purchase a marriage license. (340 other couples are issued marriage licenses in Las Vegas on the same day.)

“People followed them from the marriage license bureau,” recalls Richards. “Everyone was taking photographs of everyone.”

britney_spears_0.jpg?itok=G-GjMbMd

At approximately 5 a.m., Spears and Alexander return to the chapel, where they shell out $70 for a seven-minute ceremony. Spears wedding outfit consists of a baseball cap and torn jeans. The wedding march is played from a boombox as the bellman walks the bride down the aisle.

“They weren’t dressed in wedding attire, but it was very romantic and there was a feeling of love between them,” remembers Richards. “They appeared to be extremely happy. They were laughing, but crying, too, during the ceremony. I thought it was a marriage that would last forever.”

02.jpg

The event is videotaped by a wall-mounted camera at the chapel. “I would never show anybody the video, even if they offered me millions of dollars,” Richards says.

In the wake of the wedding, Alexander is also offered $1 million for the tape. He declines.

In the late morning of January 3rd, Alexander returns to Spears’ room at the Palms. His new bride decides she wants to keep dancing. 

rs-13961-20140103-britney2-x600-1388776250.jpg

After learning about the nuptials, Spears’ manager, Larry Rudolph, visits Palms owner George J. Maloof, Jr. at his Las Vegas home. “He knocked on my door to tell me that Britney got married and wanted to know if I could help,” Maloof recalls. “They didn’t want to be married. They needed to get an annulment. My job was to find them an attorney, but it was a Saturday or Sunday, so nobody was working.”

By the early afternoon, Maloof pays a visit to David Z. Chesnoff, a prominent Las Vegas lawyer. “I went and saw David and he got it done,” Maloof says. Chesnoff prepares annulment papers for the couple.

“I realized something was going wrong when her brother and her attorney and quite a few people came dashing over the next day,” says Richards. “They said, ‘We’ve gotta get this annulled.'”

At 4:30 p.m., Spears and Alexander sign the annulment papers. “I met with Britney and Jason and they were tickled pink at that point,” Maloof says. Rarely are annulments undertaken so gleefully. 

That evening, Spears, Alexander, and several friends (including Maloof and ‘N Sync’s Lance Bass) have dinner at N9NE Steakhouse at the Palms. “It wasn’t like they were holding hands but it wasn’t like they were in a big fight,” Maloof says. “It was just something that they did. You’d have to ask them if they regretted it, but they seemed to be comfortable with the fact that they were getting divorced.

After dinner, Alexander leaves Las Vegas, and Spears goes dancing.

Sunday, January 4th

Britney Spears leaves Las Vegas. Her record label, Jive, releases a statement explaining that the couple “took a joke too far by getting married.”

Monday, January 5th

At 10 a.m. that morning, Chesnoff files the annulment complaint with the Clark County Courthouse, paying a fee of $122. In the annulment papers, the reason cited for the dissolution of the marriage is that Spears “lacked understanding of her actions to the extent that she was incapable of agreeing to the marriage.”

In 2012, Alexander calls this “bullshit.”

“I was in love with her,” he insisted. “I feel like she felt the same way.”

At precisely 12:24 p.m. on January 5th, Lisa M. Brown, a Clark County Family Court judge, signs off on the annulment papers. The marriage is over.

“There is no marriage now,” Chesnoff tells reporters outside the courthouse. “Jason agreed to this completely. They’ve made a wise decision. I know they care about each other. They are friends.”

In an interview, Spears explained that she was “being silly, being rebellious, and not really taking the responsibility of what I was doing.” 

In July of 2004, Britney Spears announces her engagement to Kevin Federline. The couple divorced three years later. She has not since remarried. 

(source: www.rollingstone.com)

January 5 - Just 55 hours after the marriage, her lawyers and handlers alongside Larry and Mama Lynne successfully annulled the marriage.   

"On January 3rd, Britney Spears and a friend took a joke too far by getting married. Ms. Spears and Mr. Alexander have filed for an annulment which will become official on Monday, January 5," said a statement released by Jive Records (source: Britney Spears weds, gets annulment)

XRAY_rankin_Bshoot_082.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Brat2017 said:

This was when it was fun to be a britney fan,  she changed her image into something that was so raw and something we could really all relate to.  Becoming yourself 

Honestly I don't even see it as her changing her image...Britney is very impulsive, a live-for-the-moment kind of gal.  I feel like by this point she was just done with pleasing everybody else but herself?

48 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Honestly I don't even see it as her changing her image...Britney is very impulsive, a live-for-the-moment kind of gal.  I feel like by this point she was just done with pleasing everybody else but herself?

This seems even more relatable tbh,  we all snap in a way.  Maybe that’s why her image is so important for us,  she in general is raw and real

everyone made a big deal out of everything she did. performances or something she wore or did.  talk about over exposed. the vegas marriage thing was random but it was weird because within hours we got updated reports of it being annulled. I remember not knowing what that meant and googling annulment --yahoo-ing or whatever I used back then

but yeah, best pop star ever

Just now, Brat2017 said:

This seems even more relatable tbh,  we all snap in a way.  Maybe that’s why her image is so important for us,  she in general is raw and real

I've always loved all the various Britney incarnations/phases in her life, tbh, for different reasons.  I feel like whether it was Innocentney, or Rebelney, she was always being her authentic self.  Very relatable, as we all try on different masks throughout life especially growing up.  Britney really did literally grow up in front of our eyes.

Ok, this is the part when it's just so, mind boggling for me: 

At 4:30 p.m., Spears and Alexander sign the annulment papers. “I met with Britney and Jason and they were tickled pink at that point,” Maloof says. Rarely are annulments undertaken so gleefully. 

That evening, Spears, Alexander, and several friends (including Maloof and ‘N Sync’s Lance Bass) have dinner at N9NE Steakhouse at the Palms. “It wasn’t like they were holding hands but it wasn’t like they were in a big fight,” Maloof says. “It was just something that they did. You’d have to ask them if they regretted it, but they seemed to be comfortable with the fact that they were getting divorced.

After dinner, Alexander leaves Las Vegas, and Spears goes dancing.

Um, what? :wow: also, look at sis Lance all up in the mix. Always Such a stan :uknowit:

1 hour ago, Khoazie said:

They weren’t dressed in wedding attire, but it was very romantic and there was a feeling of love between them,” remembers Richards. “They appeared to be extremely happy. They were laughing, but crying, too, during the ceremony. I thought it was a marriage that would last forever.”

This always made me pause and I low-key think she wanted that marriage.  It was noted neither were drunk, or appeared to be under the influence, and I don't believe Jason's account on what went down either.  What that being said, thankfully the marriage was annulled.  

7 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

This always made me pause and I low-key think she wanted that marriage.  It was noted neither were drunk, or appeared to be under the influence, and I don't believe Jason's account on what went down either.  What that being said, thankfully the marriage was annulled.  

Britney is “The Animal.” A do and not think kind of gal. 

It’s Britney, ***** :raven:

31 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

and I don't believe Jason's account on what went down either.  What that being said, thankfully the marriage was annulled.  

Yeah I don’t believe him either. How about him going on to pursue fame after this? I wonder what Britney’s reaction was after seeing him speak to the media about this moment 

@Captain Marvel 

“But Alexander says of that claim, 'Bull***t. That was probably the hardest part about it. I had obviously got my feelings involved.'

Asked what he had learned from the marriage, Alexander replied: 'Nice guys finish last. Look out for yourself.” (Daily Mail article)

Right. :umsaywhat:

9 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

A true lioness indeed. :thirsty:

We stan a Lion Queef? :uknowit:

44 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Yeah I don’t believe him either. How about him going on to pursue fame after this? I wonder what Britney’s reaction was after seeing him speak to the media about this moment 

@Captain Marvel 

“But Alexander says of that claim, 'Bull***t. That was probably the hardest part about it. I had obviously got my feelings involved.'

Asked what he had learned from the marriage, Alexander replied: 'Nice guys finish last. Look out for yourself.” (Daily Mail article)

Right. :umsaywhat:

We stan a Lion Queef? :uknowit:

Parading around with Shar Jackson at those low budget *** LA fashion shows.  Then trying to be a MMA fighter and practicing on his then-girlfriend resulting in an arrest for domestic violence.  Nice guy my ***, he tired.:umwtf:   Britney forgot about him the moment he was ejected from Vegas.   

We most certainly do, Lion Queef of them all.   Sorry Nalá.  :walkonby:

5 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

Parading around with Shar Jackson at those low budget *** LA fashion shows.  Then trying to be a MMA fighter and practicing on his then-girlfriend resulting in an arrest for domestic violence.  Nice guy my ***, he tired.

:lessons::whitney::nyschool:

6 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

We most certainly do, Lion Queef of them all.   Sorry Nalá.  :walkonby:

:jj::gloria::orangu:

Archived