Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes) was ahead of time

JordansGutBucketBotto

Before the boom of 'Despacito' (and the hypocrite american's love for latin music :fu:), Britney realeased in her latest album 'Glory' (2016) a song with Spanish influences and some spanish words at there (because the songswriters were so lazy to make an interesting spanglish song with google translate :icant2:),  an undiscussed fan favorite song that makes perfect sense with what it's gonna happen in music in 2017....

How would be a world were Change Your Mind were released as 3rd Single of Glory? 

:tiffanycries:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Allmylife said:

One of the writers of the song is Mexican and it’s her in the speaking part....

for real? :wtf:

I'm Mexican and that part totally sounds like a foreigner doing their best attempt at speaking Spanish. 

Not to mention the title itself  "No seas cortés" doesn't make much sense. I mean, it does in the sense that is grammatically correct, but it's a phrase no one would use in that context, like that kinda flirtatious/provocative vibe of the song. And it's the same with the bridge. The sentences are correct but I just can't imagine anyone ever saying that.

It's like Shakira's first songs in English which she literally wrote with a dictionary in hand, translating them from the ones she had written in Spanish. Even I notice they don't sound like other songs by artists whose native language is English. Every time I hear Whenever, Wherever I'm like :embarrassney: while the Spanish version sounds ok.

That's why I admire Christina Aguilera's Mi Reflejo. I don't know who translated Genie in a Bottle,  and the other tracks, but they sound good, like songs by a real Latin artist (even though her pronunciation was kinda weird in just a few words). And the new songs in Spanish were also written by Spanish speakers. I think Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti was a cover, but Falsas Esperanzas sounds normal too. 

11 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I'm Mexican and that part totally sounds like a foreigner doing their best attempt at speaking Spanish. 

Not to mention the title itself  "No seas cortés" doesn't make much sense. I mean, it does in the sense that is grammatically correct, but it's a phrase no one would use in that context, like that kinda flirtatious/provocative vibe of the song. And it's the same with the bridge. The sentences are correct but I just can't imagine anyone ever saying that.

It's like Shakira's first songs in English which she literally wrote with a dictionary in hand, translating them from the ones she had written in Spanish. Even I notice they don't sound like other songs by artists whose native language is English. Every time I hear Whenever, Wherever I'm like :embarrassney: while the Spanish version sounds ok.

That's why I admire Christina Aguilera's Mi Reflejo. I don't know who translated Genie in a Bottle,  and the other tracks, but they sound good, like songs by a real Latin artist (even though her pronunciation was kinda weird in just a few words). And the new songs in Spanish were also written by Spanish speakers. I think Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti was a cover, but Falsas Esperanzas sounds normal too. 

I think those words fit so well in the song vibes, It's just a more formal Word to say educado, or maybe It just depends on where one is from, every country has its own way of speaking

I never understood why they stopped promoting after Slumber Party.Obviously,the decision to include Tinashe on the track was a wrong one,because she's an irrelevant artist,with no distinction in her voice to make her feature unique.However,Britney could have found an up and coming director and shoot low-budget dance music videos for change your mind and better or love me down.I mean,if her dancers were able to create so great dance videos alone,it must not be that expensive for Britney who makes 60MLN$/year. It would help promote Glory,and her summer tour.Sometimes,i feel like her team is not even trying.

Change Your Mind sounds NOTHING like "Despacito". I guess your perception about a song in Spanish is that it has to sound like reguetton, is a little wrong. CYM sounds more like an old Argentinian tango which has nothing to do with these recent latin songs' sound.

It would have been almost similar to Slumber Party, which is also a good song, they would have looked for someone else to join the song, a music video and the hype would have been just that, stop the promotion and act like it never existed. Not so different from what actually happened. :yaknow:

3 hours ago, Million Billion said:

Change Your Mind sounds NOTHING like "Despacito". I guess your perception about a song in Spanish is that it has to sound like reguetton, is a little wrong. CYM sounds more like an old Argentinian tango which has nothing to do with these recent latin songs' sound.

It would have been almost similar to Slumber Party, which is also a good song, they would have looked for someone else to join the song, a music video and the hype would have been just that, stop the promotion and act like it never existed. Not so different from what actually happened. :yaknow:

Exactly, and it would have the same numbers as Kylie's Stop Me From Failing with Gente de Zona

6 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Julia Michaels is half Mexican....

1 hour ago, CripplerCrossface said:

Exactly, and it would have the same numbers as Kylie's Stop Me From Failing with Gente de Zona

Omg! First, Stop me from falling is a Dancing 2.0

Second, the song was good without that annoying rappers or whatever they are 

Third, they helped nothing the song either artistically or in sales, views or anything. 

9 hours ago, Allmylife said:

One of the writers of the song is Mexican and it’s her in the speaking part....

It doesnt sound mexican at all:joanne:
While I don't know how southern mexicans speak, us northerners speak very roughly, almost like we're constantly out of breath:mcorangu:. But that just sounds like someone trying to speak spanish, like what @PokemonSpears said 

1 hour ago, Allmylife said:

Julia Michaels is half Mexican....

but clearly has always lived in the States. I mean, her pronunciation isn't that bad, and as I said, the sentences are correct, but no one would use those phrases in Mexico, maybe other Spanish speaking countries, but I doubt it. They just don't sound cool. Maybe in other kind of literary work, like a novel or a poem, and it would be weird, but in a song just sounds even weirder.

We would express the same message with other words, like for example there is this song "Piérdeme el respeto" which is like "lose respect for me", which is kinda the same as "don't be polite / educated" but said with other words. "Piérdeme el respeto" just sounds more normal than "No seas cortés".

That's why I always had my doubts about Change Your Mind being a single. It might have been kinda catchy for English speakers because of that touch of Latin vibes, and just with those phrases maybe a lot of people would feel bilingual af while listening to it :bop: But I think for most of Spanish speakers it would sound just kind of silly. The beat is still really good, so it might have worked better than Slumber Party, that's for sure. 

End of the day it doesn’t matter which song she releases anymore - unless she promotes it and performs it, it’s like a tree falling in the forest... just ask Slumber Party. That was one of her best videos in years and the song was slick and very different than anything else on radio. So was Make Me. But she didn’t promote either. Majority of GP has no idea she’s even had a song since WB.

Archived