Is 3 a classic?

BritneysBitch82

I know its a fan favorite, and i think it did ok commercially, and Britney loves performing it.

But does it stand up with BabyOneMoreTime, Toxic and Gimme More as Iconic?
Or is it in the lesser known but still hit category like Stronger, Work ***** and Boys?
Or does it fall in the underrated category like Break the Ice, Hold It Against Me and Make Me?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it falls in the third one, but not really because I don't think it's "underrated". It got what it deserved. 

It's not more well known, because it wasn't meant to be. They released it without much fanfares and it didn't get a live performance until almost two years later. The video wasn't that outstanding either. It was a single from a compilation album, and not a studio one, so all that are reasons why it's not that remembered or recognized.

It's a nice song, but that's it. This proves being #1 really doesn't mean anything. HIAM and 3 were released at the right time, that's why they were number one, but not because they are her best songs. Then we have classics like OIDIA or Toxic that didn't reach #1 so... 

9 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

I know its a fan favorite, and i think it did ok commercially, and Britney loves performing it.

But does it stand up with BabyOneMoreTime, Toxic and Gimme More as Iconic?
Or is it in the lesser known but still hit category like Stronger, Work ***** and Boys?
Or does it fall in the underrated category like Break the Ice, Hold It Against Me and Make Me?

I love this song (and both videos) to bits. I don't get the hate or the flop for it. It's literally one of my favourites. I love all the black and white in the video.

48 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think it falls in the third one, but not really because I don't think it's "underrated". It got what it deserved. 

It's not more well known, because it wasn't meant to be. They released it without much fanfares and it didn't get a live performance until almost two years later. The video wasn't that outstanding either. It was a single from a compilation album, and not a studio one, so all that are reasons why it's not that remembered or recognized.

It's a nice song, but that's it. This proves being #1 really doesn't mean anything. HIAM and 3 were released at the right time, that's why they were number one, but not because they are her best songs. Then we have classics like OIDIA or Toxic that didn't reach #1 so... 

Agreed but i dont feel we can just dismiss a song because it wasnt attached to an album. 

No, not a classic by any means but definitely one of her bigger hits, much more so than WB, which I’ve only heard played at gay clubs. I remember 3 being played on the radio all the time. 

I wish the MV had been better. It had a few stunning scenes and lots of potential, but the majority was very “meh” for such a **** song.

This look should’ve been showcased way more:

giphy.gif

CookedReliableEyelashpitviper-max-1mb.gi

And the little smirk was great:

tumblr_la79i340n31qadygwo1_500.gif

But most of the close-ups were kind of ruined by how bad her hair was, and the choreography was really unimpressive. 

39 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

Agreed but i dont feel we can just dismiss a song because it wasnt attached to an album. 

agreed, but in Britney's world they never give them enough attention, except for Pretty Girls :jj:  But in that case it WAS intended to be the lead single of B9.

And with attention I mean the longer music video, the BBMA performance, POM performance and endless promo:

normal_11296706_1492577271023424_1107678

• Content Curators
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

agreed, but in Britney's world they never give them enough attention, except for Pretty Girls :jj:  But in that case it WAS intended to be the lead single of B9.

And with attention I mean the longer music video, the BBMA performance, POM performance and endless promo:

normal_11296706_1492577271023424_1107678

Lmao that’s the only promo pretty girls got queen of PROPER PROMITION :urite:

I honestly think 3 is part of that transistion where Britney’s gp appeal was hitting the next generation. Because like people older than me know sometimes, crazy, lucky, stronger, everytime, not a girl, and so on, but they don’t really know much after the circus era, but people my age (I’m a senior in high school) who actually really kept up with pop music knew all of Britney’s post breakdown stuff much better than the classics, like 3, HIAM, IWG, and even criminal and pretty girls. So I think yes, it is a classic, but it is underrated by her die hard fans cause they’re part of an older demographic. 

Archived