I will never, EVER get over this.

DignifiedLove

DISCLAIMER: Long rant as this is not intended to be negative. :) 

Just listen to this. The voice that could have moved mountains.

So much potential for a f**king 15-year-old, yet Britney Spears' label, executive producers and management brainwashed/forced her to (permanently) change her style of singing, diminishing her vocal range/potential and being labeled by the general public as a 'talentless puppet that could never really sing' just because it sounded 'commercial'. Fact of the matter - Britney never really got a chance to ever showcase her vocal talent to the general public and then people have the nerve to say that Britney Spears wouldn't be the icon she is today if she didn't switch it up to that nasal, raspy tone. Sure, it was cute during her first two eras or so, but for her to forcefully use that voice during the span of her entire career has done far more harm than good. 

Mark my words and some of you may disagree but I genuinely believe this was the underlying reason Britney had become so insecure throughout adulthood, and even to this day. 

Here she was, leading the pack for an entire era of pop music for a good five to six years where squeaky, commercialized voices were in and choreographed routines were the norm, but what was supposed to happen when that shtick was done?

You take away all the visuals, flashing lights, and dancing -- what are you left with? Look at the state of Britney's career today; the proof is right there. The girl can't rely on her voice because she's been brainwashed since the age of 16-17 to not only lip-sync, but believing she couldn't sing like her contemporaries (Refer to Diane Sawyer Interview in 2003 where she talks about her voice), hence why she and her disgusting team find ways to disguise her voice rather than showcase it (99% of the time). 

That, plus the definitive conclusion which we all know -- she doesn't give two ***** about her artistic integrity, nor her legacy anymore. She has simply become so comfortable just sitting back with her boring Residency that she no longer feels the need to put up an effort. To top it off, she is beyond lazy that she can't even be bothered to pre-record her vocals, the bare minimum. 

And just an FYI, this is not an attack on Britney Spears, arguably the BIGGEST female artist of the last 20 years alongside Beyonce, but just imagine the state of Britney's career today if she wasn't surrounded by such filthy, greedy businessmen who milked her like a money machine and exploited her as an object so early in her career -- which ultimately became of her.

Those people, NOT ONCE, cared for Britney's integrity hence why she fired them all at one point in her life. Simple as that -- they were in it for the money and her breakdown was as a result of rebelling.  

And then we wonder why artists like Beyonce or Rihanna continue to succeed, progress and relate to the public -- simple as that - they weren't taken advantage of the way Britney was taken advantage of multitude of things, including her most important asset and the primary reason she got a record label in the first place -- her voice. 

Other than Michael Jackson, I can't recall any other artist who's had it harder in the music industry than Britney herself and to this day, I have never seen such a fanbase so committed than the Britney Army and it makes sense because we, alongside the media and general public, have gradually leaned towards this sort of leniency and became more forgiving/self-accepting of Britney after the tribulations of 2004-2008. 

And this is aside from the fact that Britney's career has been nothing but self-destructive during the past decade or so, from one mistake to another, but regardless of that, Britney's legacy is far too cemented in pop culture for anyone to ever forget her - at least in today's landscape. She's had the staying power of someone like Madonna, however, she hardly evolved and her artistic growth decayed after 2008.

As a Britney fan for years, it makes me literally stick to my stomach to see all that potential, talent, charm, charisma, beauty, etc. go to waste -- all because she was surrounded by the wrong people. And when she needed that guidance and support, nobody bothered to intervene. 

When all is said and done, her career is figuratively unparalleled -- no female artist since Britney Spears' debut has had the impact she had on the music industry, but on the dark-side, look at Britney Spears today - completely aloof from who she used to be as an artist -- and for many years, a human being. 

I even wonder if Britney had a chance to truly showcase her voice like most artists do, how would the likes of Christina Aguilera, Beyonce and so many others do? Whether you like it or not, the truth of the matter is Britney was a very rare, gifted talent and once had strong powerhouse vocals with a vocal resonance at just a child that would leave 10 y/o Xtina and Bey in the dust. Yet, ironic enough, she's seen today by non-fans and the general public as someone who 'can't sing' and is 'talentless'. Talk about a triple-threat that was destroyed too soon.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I came across as very blunt but I guess I'm just very upset about all this, especially after hearing her early demo of "You Got It All" from 1996-97, as well as revisiting some of the early videos of her singing as a child.

I always envisioned Britney belting out some ballads and performing on stage with just a mic and chair. Had she actually had the chance to showcase her vocal skills throughout her entire career rather than relying on lip-syncing, maybe that would have been a reality and still a strong asset of hers where she would be known for her voice a la Mariah, Xtina, Bey, etc., but Britney, the vocalist, hardly got the chance to shine the way we know it deserved. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped reading after "executive producers and management BRAINWASHED her" lol they gave her pop songs, she loved them, she recorded them, and they became hits and helped elevate her to where she is today. If Britney wanted to sing or change her style of music she easily could have at any point including the beginning, middle, or even now. But she doesn't. People need to stop blaming her team - Britney is the one responsible for it. I don't even mind it bc I love most of her music. I'm so glad she never went in the r&b direction that the first album was originally going to go in. Britney is the Princess of Pop.

2 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

Stopped reading after "executive producers and management BRAINWASHED her" lol they gave her pop songs, she loved them, she recorded them, and they became hits and helped elevate her to where she is today. If Britney wanted to sing or change her style of music she easily could have at any point including the beginning, middle, or even now. But she doesn't. People need to stop blaming her team - Britney is the one responsible for it. I don't even mind it bc I love most of her music. I'm so glad she never went in the r&b direction that the first album was originally going to go in. Britney is the Princess of Pop.

Um, ok. Any aspiring artist who is looking to make it mainstream or break commercially will take what's handed to them if it means commercial success. Once BOMT hit the airwaves, no one knew how much of an impact her debut would have had. From there, they knew they had a naive teenage girl with the potential to become a superstar who had everything working in her favor. The image she sold was a brand, and Britney was a newbie they wanted to sell, and once they realized that this barely legal, girl-next-door look worked, and knew Britney wasn't shying from it either, she agreed, they ran with that and there was no backing out.

In essence, she was that a pop star who kept up with the trends, made chart music and was pretty much owned by a record label who wanted the next big thing -- and she never really questioned it following her massive debut. Unfortunately, the downside was that her opinion hardly meant anything from the beginning and that's where she found it hard to break out of this pop machine once she wanted to grow as an artist so no, it wasn't that easy to change her style of music since she was so consumed in it for so long that it ultimately backfired. Yes, she was enjoying every bit of her success (I am not denying that), but look at what happened when Britneymania died down. 

It's a double edged blade... On one hand, the route that was chosen for her turned her into the Princess of Pop. But with it came all the micro managed career that led to her unsurprising downfall. No1 could maintain such structured lifestyle, esp not a young adult. In no time she became the biggest brightest star of her time and burned out just as quickly. Its no surprise she has nothing left to give. 

On the other hand, had she gone the Sheryl Crow route that she wanted, produced more artistic work, showcased her voice more, i fear she wouldn't have been as big as she was. She might have been more like Leanne Rhimes or something and we wouldn't be here.  

15 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

It's a double edged blade... On one hand, the route that was chosen for her turned her into the Princess of Pop. But with it came all the micro managed career that led to her unsurprising downfall. No1 could maintain such structured lifestyle, esp not a young adult. In no time she became the biggest brightest star of her time and burned out just as quickly. Its no surprise she has nothing left to give. 

On the other hand, had she gone the Sheryl Crow route that she wanted, produced more artistic work, showcased her voice more, i fear she wouldn't have been as big as she was. She might have been more like Leanne Rhimes or something and we wouldn't be here.  

True and that's a very interesting perspective. However, who's to say she couldn't be the pop princess and showcase strong, live vocal capabilities? Had she taken that route, maybe she would have even been bigger today and other pop artists like Xtina or Bey wouldn't have been as popular as they were or are. 

50 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

True and that's a very interesting perspective. However, who's to say she couldn't be the pop princess and showcase strong, live vocal capabilities? Had she taken that route, maybe she would have even been bigger today and other pop artists like Xtina or Bey wouldn't have been as popular as they were or are. 

I just feel like you cant have both, she was marketed to be the perfect pop star. Too perfect actually. The image was very commercial, very easy to sell to the masses. Thats what brought her success. Once she started being more real with Britney and ITZ, the sales declined because now she no longer appealed to everyone. Its the same as when Xtina decided to be more mature, after her debut, her sales dropped. When Rihanna tried less radio friendly music with Anti. When Beyonce made 4 because she wanted to make music that she enjoyed. Its the same as life, you'll have lots of friends when you try and be everything they want you to be, but once you show up as yourself, you loose friends. But the true ones remain.

Britney Jean Spears had a f**king voice that was silenced, this true fans know. She has notes in her that the GP will never hear and its a shame.  But HAD she been marketed as something other than what she was, the teen pop wave of the late 90s would not have happened, or it would have been lead by someone else. And she would very likely just be another singer amongst singers. But as a consolation, she got to take care of her family, support her ex husband and his other family, see the world, meet her idols. Like i said, double edged blade. 

But in the end, no1 can really predict what could have been. Maybe she would have been the next big thing on her own terms

2 hours ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

I just feel like you cant have both, she was marketed to be the perfect pop star. Too perfect actually. The image was very commercial, very easy to sell to the masses. Thats what brought her success. Once she started being more real with Britney and ITZ, the sales declined because now she no longer appealed to everyone. Its the same as when Xtina decided to be more mature, after her debut, her sales dropped. When Rihanna tried less radio friendly music with Anti. When Beyonce made 4 because she wanted to make music that she enjoyed. Its the same as life, you'll have lots of friends when you try and be everything they want you to be, but once you show up as yourself, you loose friends. But the true ones remain.

Britney Jean Spears had a f**king voice that was silenced, this true fans know. She has notes in her that the GP will never hear and its a shame.  But HAD she been marketed as something other than what she was, the teen pop wave of the late 90s would not have happened, or it would have been lead by someone else. And she would very likely just be another singer amongst singers. But as a consolation, she got to take care of her family, support her ex husband and his other family, see the world, meet her idols. Like i said, double edged blade. 

But in the end, no1 can really predict what could have been. Maybe she would have been the next big thing on her own terms

Yup, and that perfect image was burst in early 2002, when she broke up with Justin Timberlake. And if you don't believe she and Justin cheated, the perfect bubble definitely bursted with the 55 hour marriage in Vegas!

2 minutes ago, brit4u1998 said:

Yup, and that perfect image was burst in early 2002, when she broke up with Justin Timberlake. And if you don't believe she and Justin cheated, the perfect bubble definitely bursted with the 55 hour marriage in Vegas!

Oh yeah, Justin was def the one who pushed her from her Teen Idol pedestal. And she handled it badly by rebounding with Jason in Vegas and Madonna on stage. But its understandable, what teenager wouldn't act the way she did? 

She would neuer have made it this far with her natural Voice tbh. Its not as distimctive, commercial or even as good as people here claim. The soft, angelic, **** vocals made her stand out and People still immitate them. Her natural Voice Sounds kind of like she has something stuck in her throat. She forces it too hard and imo it just doesnt Sound pleasant  

Her biggest Problem is that she started ging overboard with the editing of those vocals und now she has too many songs where she Sounds like a Robot.

I get what you mean but don’t fully agree.

Britney had a good voice but not one that could move mountains. She wanted first and foremost to be successful and she had an amazing set of people around her that guided her to the goldmine that is her voice. That ‘baby voice’ created a brand that became the most sellable teenager of all time. It was so successful that look at all the copy cats that followed.

And Britney was always as much (if not more) of a dancer. Disney execs said that her voice was good, but her dancing and personality were brilliant. 2 record labels turned her down based on voice, but jive saw the potential in HER as a characater.

Where Britney has gone wrong is her refusal to grow. Basically all her peers and indeed much much younger singers than her, adapt to industry and grow in their artistry. Britney has never stepped beyond her teen pop princess branding, amazingly despite becoming a mother so young, divorcing, breakdown, resurgence, family issues etc she has more to talk about than most.

Sure execs helped her change her voice, but they didn’t brainwash her. 99% of young artists are moulded, but look how they grow and change. I think Beyoncé, JT and P!nk are great examples of her peers who were packaged a certain way, but at 35 are well rounded performers who have found their niche, and yet none (in my opinion) have the total package and overall ability Britney had in her teens.

Gaga is a more recent example of someone who did trashy *** pop and knew she had another side to her, so pushed into adult contemporary and now seemingly straddles the two. Britney could easily do this, especially now sales are in the gutter for everyone in the digital era, taking risks doesn’t risk as much, it’s about cultivating a persona that will entice people. And maybe at 17 Britney couldn’t get her own way as easily but Britney now sure could. She silences herself as much as anyone else does.

Sure her team don’t help push the boat out, but to me she is the one who has to do it. Even in Blackout and Glory where she seemingly had more control she still put out a CD full of *** songs. The glory era was ripe for a rebrand and yet she still mimed and zumba-ed herself through mid-tempo Make Me. When asked about her craft she can barely string a sentence together. Despite the promise of Vegas allowing her to put on an ever-changing, industry defining show, she was happy to recycle the same ****, hair tossing mime act she’s been selling since the comeback. Hell Keri Hilson admitted Britney heard her vocals and said ‘leave them on the track, sure they sound like me anyway’ and even signed off on BJ which is 50% not even her.

I hate that people say ‘oh she’s Britney, she only mimes’ because she could so easily sing a little over the track and ballads fully live. She has a strong natural voice. Most of her songs are talk-singing. I would much rather hear her giving it a go out of breath than badly mouthing to vocals from literally two DEACDES age.

I find it all very interesting, sorry for the rant, I love discussing the career aspects of britney. I think she is such a unique case of someone who exploded and peaked so young and then proceeded to use approx 5 years of work as a crutch to sustain a further decade+ of a performing.

3 hours ago, Hypnotherapy said:

I get what you mean but don’t fully agree.

Britney had a good voice but not one that could move mountains. She wanted first and foremost to be successful and she had an amazing set of people around her that guided her to the goldmine that is her voice. That ‘baby voice’ created a brand that became the most sellable teenager of all time. It was so successful that look at all the copy cats that followed.

And Britney was always as much (if not more) of a dancer. Disney execs said that her voice was good, but her dancing and personality were brilliant. 2 record labels turned her down based on voice, but jive saw the potential in HER as a characater.

Where Britney has gone wrong is her refusal to grow. Basically all her peers and indeed much much younger singers than her, adapt to industry and grow in their artistry. Britney has never stepped beyond her teen pop princess branding, amazingly despite becoming a mother so young, divorcing, breakdown, resurgence, family issues etc she has more to talk about than most.

Sure execs helped her change her voice, but they didn’t brainwash her. 99% of young artists are moulded, but look how they grow and change. I think Beyoncé, JT and P!nk are great examples of her peers who were packaged a certain way, but at 35 are well rounded performers who have found their niche, and yet none (in my opinion) have the total package and overall ability Britney had in her teens.

Gaga is a more recent example of someone who did trashy *** pop and knew she had another side to her, so pushed into adult contemporary and now seemingly straddles the two. Britney could easily do this, especially now sales are in the gutter for everyone in the digital era, taking risks doesn’t risk as much, it’s about cultivating a persona that will entice people. And maybe at 17 Britney couldn’t get her own way as easily but Britney now sure could. She silences herself as much as anyone else does.

Sure her team don’t help push the boat out, but to me she is the one who has to do it. Even in Blackout and Glory where she seemingly had more control she still put out a CD full of *** songs. The glory era was ripe for a rebrand and yet she still mimed and zumba-ed herself through mid-tempo Make Me. When asked about her craft she can barely string a sentence together. Despite the promise of Vegas allowing her to put on an ever-changing, industry defining show, she was happy to recycle the same ****, hair tossing mime act she’s been selling since the comeback. Hell Keri Hilson admitted Britney heard her vocals and said ‘leave them on the track, sure they sound like me anyway’ and even signed off on BJ which is 50% not even her.

I hate that people say ‘oh she’s Britney, she only mimes’ because she could so easily sing a little over the track and ballads fully live. She has a strong natural voice. Most of her songs are talk-singing. I would much rather hear her giving it a go out of breath than badly mouthing to vocals from literally two DEACDES age.

I find it all very interesting, sorry for the rant, I love discussing the career aspects of britney. I think she is such a unique case of someone who exploded and peaked so young and then proceeded to use approx 5 years of work as a crutch to sustain a further decade+ of a performing.

Everything about this! :yesplease:

11 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Agree for the most part. Several problems:

1) Her parents were thirsty and she was too. Sold their daughter to get out of poverty and there's no going back from that.

2) She was complicit in her objectification. She sold herself out for money.

3) She smokes. Sorry to the smokers who get triggered when you mention this, but you cannot maintain your looks or voice if you're inhaling smoke like a chimney. The effects are scientifically known. She could have quit to avoid them all, but she chose not to. Herself/her career was not as important to her as a quick fix.

4) She's lazy. By her own admission, she would rather be on vacation and not working. That's fine. That's human and normal. Retire. But again, she's only around to keep the piggy bank full. Why not milk the dupes who are willing to pay for her mediocrity? A fool and their money....

5) Plastic surgery. She got it to fight #3 and #4 but it cannot turn back time. Instead, it made her situation worse and now she looks terrifying. 

Yes... it's all very sad, but it's all a very common story. 

Also, she's in a conservatorship. She, supposedly, can't handle her own life to the point she needs someone to do it for her, but she can still perform and make money like an able-bodied working class person? It's all BS. Something stinks and it seems this is more American legalized slavery. 

12 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Um, ok. Any aspiring artist who is looking to make it mainstream or break commercially will take what's handed to them if it means commercial success. Once BOMT hit the airwaves, no one knew how much of an impact her debut would have had. From there, they knew they had a naive teenage girl with the potential to become a superstar who had everything working in her favor. The image she sold was a brand, and Britney was a newbie they wanted to sell, and once they realized that this barely legal, girl-next-door look worked, and knew Britney wasn't shying from it either, she agreed, they ran with that and there was no backing out.

In essence, she was that a pop star who kept up with the trends, made chart music and was pretty much owned by a record label who wanted the next big thing -- and she never really questioned it following her massive debut. Unfortunately, the downside was that her opinion hardly meant anything from the beginning and that's where she found it hard to break out of this pop machine once she wanted to grow as an artist so no, it wasn't that easy to change her style of music since she was so consumed in it for so long that it ultimately backfired. Yes, she was enjoying every bit of her success (I am not denying that), but look at what happened when Britneymania died down. 

So what do you want? Why are you mad? You want Britney's team to make her do r&b songs now? Britney even said she was heavily involved in choosing people to work with for Glory and she's so proud of that album. If you don't like Britney's song why are you a fan?

1 hour ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

So what do you want? Why are you mad? You want Britney's team to make her do r&b songs now? Britney even said she was heavily involved in choosing people to work with for Glory and she's so proud of that album. If you don't like Britney's song why are you a fan?

Ugh, can you not read? This thread never stated that I don't like Britney's songs so I have no idea where you're getting that from. It's about using her natural talent as the skilled singer she was -- that's what this thread is about so don't come here writing a response when you haven't even read the OP, lmfao. Also, it's definitely not about making R&B songs because last time I checked, you don't have to be R&B  to showcase vocal talent, like??? :rlynow:

Britney's been brainwashed by this pop machine and sheltered for years, that's a known fact that every honest Britney fan knows. As a result, this hindered her growth as an artist. Her latest musical efforts lack any artistic evolution and as a user stated above, "Glory" era was the perfect opportunity for a chance to rebrand her image, yet she continued to mime and 'zumba' her way throughout with none other than songs about making love. 

It's a heavy subject for many Britney fans, especially people like you who also buy into Britney, the product and brand, so I don't expect you to be intuitive enough to understand based on your response, but this has singlehandedly tarnished Britney as the respected artist she once deserved to be. 

To conclude and in the grand scheme of things, yes, I am upset that she hasn't really ever been able or allowed to sit on stage holding a mic in her hand a belt out a song for the last 18 years. She's a musical artist and that's what musical artists are supposed to do -- be a singer, first and foremost and use their natural voices and showcase vocal ability. Not mime their way with a forced, unnatural for another two decades. 

1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

Ugh, can you not read? This thread never stated that I don't like Britney's songs so I have no idea where you're getting that from. It's about using her natural talent as the skilled singer she was -- that's what this thread is about so don't come here writing a response when you haven't even read the OP, lmfao. Also, it's definitely not about making R&B songs because last time I checked, you don't have to be R&B  to showcase vocal talent, like??? :rlynow:

Britney's been brainwashed by this pop machine and sheltered for years, that's a known fact that every honest Britney fan knows. As a result, this hindered her growth as an artist. Her latest musical efforts lack any artistic evolution and as a user stated above, "Glory" era was the perfect opportunity for a chance to rebrand her image, yet she continued to mime and 'zumba' her way throughout with none other than songs about making love. 

It's a heavy subject for many Britney fans, especially people like you who also buy into Britney, the product and brand, so I don't expect you to be intuitive enough to understand based on your response, but this has singlehandedly tarnished Britney as the respected artist she once deserved to be. 

To conclude and in the grand scheme of things, yes, I am upset that she hasn't really ever been able or allowed to sit on stage holding a mic in her hand a belt out a song for the last 18 years. She's a musical artist and that's what musical artists are supposed to do -- be a singer, first and foremost and use their natural voices and showcase vocal ability. Not mime their way with a forced, unnatural for another two decades. 

i CAN read but im not reading all that lol have a nice day 

I just don't get how Britney doesn't even seem to want to sing live anymore when, watching all the old footage of her as a child and a teenager she seemed to absolutely LOVE singing live. You can see she had a real passion for it and really belted out songs with real power in her voice and wow, the way she held some of those long notes! For someone who seemed to love singing live in her youth it's strange that she has no desire to do it today. Damn, I'd feel so restricted just miming to songs the whole time. I'd be constantly wanting to just belt out the songs instead of silently mouthing the words, where is the satisfaction in that?!

I do think her smoking for so long has probably ruined her singing voice, like others have said. I know how smoking damages a voice because it damaged mine. I used to really enjoy singing and, whilst I was far from being great at it I used to have a fairly decent range and could hit the high notes. I smoked in my late teens but thankfully not for long. However, over the past decade I started smoking again (stress and things going on in my life made me start up again, stupidly) and I smoked for about 5 years before I finally gave up again. During this time though I noticed how much my singing voice change and how limited it became. I just could not (and still can't ) hit the high notes anymore. Even mid range is a struggle. My voice became deeper and croakier. I just can't sing anymore and I know smoking did this. What else could it be? It's not like I was a professional singer who'd been on the road touring and over-sang over the years to damage my voice! The change in my voice over the space of a couple of years (when I was smoking) was drastic. I'm forever kicking myself for taking up smoking for the second as I used to enjoy singing and just can't do it anymore and it really frustrates me. Even though I quit smoking years ago now my singing voice has never returned, it's permanently damaged. I wonder if today Britney regrets damaging her voice, either from smoking or from adopting the vocal style that was unnatural to her (or both). It's such a shame because she had a real vocal talent and it's sad to see her just mouthing the words to all her songs throughout entire concerts! You'd think she'd be embarrassed to be lipping to old CD recordings of herself year after year! I know it's hard to sing and dance at the same time but the fact she started miming even her ballads (during POM in Vegas, I mean) when standing still or sitting down somehow tells me that her voice really is limited now, and that's such a pity.

I too would love her to do a stripped back "unplugged" type of concert where she can just sit on a chair or stool and belt her out songs live, but maybe she is just vocally unable to do that anymore. A damn shame and I agree with others, a great waste of talent! :(

Archived