The turning point into near-irrelevance on the charts was clearly Pretty Girls

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, okiobspears said:

And she seems to like the song. That’s the problem. Britney’s music taste has been weird lately. 

True :bthink: !

Since 2012/2013 I feel like she kinda lost it. Bringing will.i.am for a whole album (when EDM was already dead), doing a featuring with Iggy (the most hated woman in the US at the time), being inspired by Selena Gomez for your 9th album...

Like she did for "In The Zone" and "Blackout' (and that's why they are her best and most inspired albums) she needs to hang out with her dancers, with other artists, she needs to go to some clubs to know what's making people dance nowadays. :madance:

A lot of you seem to forget that Pretty Girls was busy competing with this chart wise....

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So I mean, it was bound to fail, no matter what. And then to not be as good as Feelin' Myself, according to the GP? I even remember the memes, where "ME" would be over a screencap of Bey and Nicki from this, and "YOU" would be over a screencap of Iggy and Britney from PG.

I can't agree that PG is exactly where things started ******* up, that said. It's been in how everything has been handled since.

34 minutes ago, SonOfSun said:

True :bthink: !

Since 2012/2013 I feel like she kinda lost it. Bringing will.i.am for a whole album (when EDM was already dead), doing a featuring with Iggy (the most hated woman in the US at the time), being inspired by Selena Gomez for your 9th album...

Like she did for "In The Zone" and "Blackout' (and that's why they are her best and most inspired albums) she needs to hang out with her dancers, with other artists, she needs to go to some clubs to know what's making people dance nowadays. :madance:

Lol theres no way she is going to do that. She is not in her 20s anymore. She should hire 20something ppl to work for her. Fresh faces, fresh ideas, ppl who are intune with current culture. I believe thats the key to Beyonces longevity. But... Then she needs to fully commit to an era. To not scrap videos because it seems to risky. Or stop promoting if the second single flops. 

8 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I loved the song on first listen, and I totally dig the music video as well. I see no issues with neither outputs. And I do not see it as an actual flop. 173 million+ views, for any localindie artist, would be a complete success! On YouTube/VEVO—it was a HIT!

And the sales weren't bad! At least 302,000 units in the US, 32,788 units in the UK, etc.

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5767962#p5767962
https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5719148#p5719148

Once again, any unknown, local, indie artist would commit a blood sacrifice for such sales. lol

And it was #1 on the US Dance Club Songs chart (Billboard). I take everything into consideration, not just the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

An artist, even a megastar, should never take anything for granted. It could have sold a lot less than it did... I think it's a great tune w/ a joyful vibe and a cool reverby sound. I don't care much about the rest.

@Someone Who Knows

I still love the song. I still listen to it when it comes up in rotation (which is more than I can say for some of her other songs). I also love the video myself. It was perfect for existing Britney fans.

But it was lacklustre for the GP...and as someone else pointed out, run between Perfume and the canceled Make Me video, it took the shine off of her star power. 

Well she's been doing it to herself since the Britney Jean era. They literally did no promotion for WB outside of the video and then it was strictly to Vegas. No award shows, performances until PG came but by then it was rehash of Fancy and Iggy was facing a backlash at the time.

Glory had all the makings for another peak for her. The revamp and her energy were great, the photoshoots released prior, the Private Show commercial, the BBMA's performance praise and the positive reaction to Make Me until the video was scrapped and the cheap video was released instead. Sure, she promoted the song but then it became simply Slumber Party coming and going and then the focus was shifted to Vegas yet again and nothing more. If she wanted to, she should have released the original video since Team Britney clearly were going to bring it this era until they nixed the idea and went the safe route and I'm guessing their budget was slashed due to the cost. She's clearly focused on Vegas and not her recent material since so little promotion or attention is given to it. Once the single drops down the chart, Britney is back to Vegas mode.

12 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I beg to differ...

I believe it was the video for the song that was responsible for her chart irrelevance, not the song itself.

The leopard-print top and dark tan combo made her look like a 50-year old cougar next to Iggy.

It was all downhill from there.

I agree. And the short curly hair (thanks a lot Glenn :juggingu:) literally RUINED her image to the gp. I wish she had a better glam team back then 

2 hours ago, really really cool guy said:

I agree. And the short curly hair (thanks a lot Glenn :juggingu:) literally RUINED her image to the gp. I wish she had a better glam team back then 

And maybe that is the core of the problem?

She's not working with A-list creatives. Between Glenn and Randee, her "costumes" and her zumba choreograpy, her visual artistry has become C-list.

11 hours ago, Via Infinito said:

No the thing that ruined her era was the shitty Make Me video

THAT was the true disaster

because it was a double punch of shitty forgettable videos

It also ruined the budget for a third single form Glory

Slumber Party was great but Make Me killed off the lead single momentum

Pretty Girls was just a cute bop in the summer 

Make Me was where it failed to recover and continue the whack *** bad quality videos going from Perfume - Pretty Girls - Make Me

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

THe original video would have kept enough hype for the other relevant promo outlets she's used such as the VMAs and Carpool Karaoke

I think this messy first single released delayed the second released which resulted in more lazyness to include SP when she was doing Apple and iHeart festivals which thus were GH-oriented instead of promoting Glory

18 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

Pretty girls was the last single that ppl cared about. Bad opinions or good it was the last time britney’s Music was discussed by the gp

True

the Love Island buzz proved people really did not know about Make Me lmao

2 minutes ago, Rico. said:

True

the Love Island buzz proved people really did not know about Make Me lmao

Exactly. 

I think Glory could have had some hit singles but they don’t try. She has been in Vegas way too long and like two generations have not seen a hit from her. 

Now she needs to promote a lot or flop this way we come for the third time 

Archived