I just got Prerogative (review)

BOBIBCFBG

I now have every Britney fragrance except Sunset Fantasy (which I have smelled) or the re-releases. Yesterday I got Prerogative and here's my review.

o.55570.jpg

INTRO:
I have to admit, when I first heard the name Prerogative and saw the box I didn't like either. After realizing that it's a unisex fragrance, the name makes total sense. The description is all about no labels, judgements, or defining yourself. That makes sense to me for a unisex fragrance. Some people commented about the random type placement - I'm okay with it. It's not the most creative or attractive logo but it's fine - it kind of reminds me of a charm bracelet where the letters are the charms.

The box has also grown on me. However, I don't think they should have used pink for a unisex fragrance. It does look very girly. Purple would have been a better choice. Again, the box is nothing amazing or creative but it's just fine, especially for a unisex fragrance other than the pink.

BOTTLE:
Yes, the bottle looks a lot like Fantasy. But I think the color, shape, and materials are very attractive for both genders. First off, the bottle is completely black in person. It looks purple in a lot of photos but it's not. I love the hard plastic on the sides - it adds masculinity to it and it goes with the dominatrix theme of the ad videos she filmed. It's kind of a **** bottle. I also like that the name is on the front of the glass. However, I don't really love the way it sits on a tilt. It might be some mild OCD but I would prefer it to stand upright lol.

JUICE:
Okay so it all comes down to the actual fragrance. Before I actually smelled it, I read reviews that it smells like cotton candy, that it's too sweet, that it's too girly, and that it smells like Private Show. I have to agree with all of that. When I first sprayed it, the top notes definitely smelled like cotton candy at first which is very sweet and is more associated with a women's fragrance than a man's. I'm a firm believer that you should wear whatever you want no matter which gender you are or which gender a fragrance was for intended for, but there are certain smells that are associated with each gender and Prerogative definitely smells more feminine than masculine.

However, it does smell good! When it settled a bit, it definitely smelled like Private Show which smells like coffee mixed with Fantasy. Fantasy is a great scent and it obviously sells so it's safe, but I don't know why the keep making Britney fragrances that smell so similar to it, especially when they're not Fantasy flankers. The Fantasy Remixes, Rocker Femme Fantasy, Fantasy Intimate Edition, Private Show, and Prerogative all smell very close.

Anyway, after Prerogative dried, like 6 hours after I put it on, it smelled more like just the coffee notes which smelled more unisex. But I had to wait a while. With that said, it did last a really long time! I even worked out and could still smell it! I would say this is best for fall because of the coffee or winter because it's a sweeter, heavy scent. It could be day or night but would be really fun to wear at night for a fun night out or a date, again just like Fantasy.

OVERALL:
Overall, it does smell good but it's too similiar to Private Show to be too exciting. However, it does smell more like coffee than Private Show so I think it's better. But it doesn't really smell like a unisex fragrance. She has other fragrances that could pass as a unisex fragrance more than Prerogative. In fact, I recently smelled Sunset Fantasy for the first time and that could pass as unisex more than this one. Here's my list from favorite to least favorite of her fragrance line:

Circus Fantasy
In Control
Fantasy Intimate Edition
Prerogative
Private Show
Island Fantasy
Hidden Fantasy
Rocker Femme Fantasy
Fantasy - The Naughty Remix
Fantasy - The Nice Remix
Fantasy
Curious
Sunset Fantasy
Believe
Cosmic Radiance
Radiance
Maui Fantasy
VIP Private Show
Midnight Fantasy
Fantasy In Bloom

The fragrances that I think could pass for unisex, in order, are:

Believe (this is the only one that doesn't smell girly at all)
Island Fantasy
Maui Fantasy
Circus Fantasy
Sunset Fantasy
Hidden Fantasy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 minutes ago, Brad Adamson said:

It’s interesting and exasperating how many men who take dicks in every orifice are concerned about how masc/femme a Britney Spears fragrance is :surething: 

the fact that those things are nonexclusive and you keep trying to relate them is what’s exasperating. Like the post said candy/sweet is mostly associated with women’s fragrance AKA easy to find in a regular Britney fragrance... therefor one would expect a “unisex” fragrance by her would be at least slightly more masculine smelling.

20 minutes ago, ToxicJAM said:

the fact that those things are nonexclusive and you keep trying to relate them is what’s exasperating. Like the post said candy/sweet is mostly associated with women’s fragrance AKA easy to find in a regular Britney fragrance... therefor one would expect a “unisex” fragrance by her would be at least slightly more masculine smelling.

Maybe less people’s masculinity would be threatened if they added a top note of sweat sponged from the crack of a lumberjack and the bottle had more penises in the design 

50 minutes ago, Brad Adamson said:

It’s interesting and exasperating how many men who take dicks in every orifice are concerned about how masc/femme a Britney Spears fragrance is :surething: 

That's really homophobic, judgmental, small minded, and disrespectful of you. You clearly didn't even read the review.

19 minutes ago, Brad Adamson said:

Maybe less people’s masculinity would be threatened if they added a top note of sweat sponged from the crack of a lumberjack and the bottle had more penises in the design 

You’re completely missing the point. It has nothing to do with threatened masculinity. Some people just don’t want to smell feminine because they don’t care for it or it’s not their style. You are being so defensive that you’re offensive.

1 hour ago, Brad Adamson said:

Sexuality has nothing to do with how someone wants to smell :watrusayin:

4 minutes ago, Goku said:

why everyone wants to smell like a "man"? what the hell does it mean? :watrusayin:

we as gay people should ignore the straight agenda flowers = girls, musk = boys

what's wrong in the smell of cotton candy? who said it's only for girls? the toxic masculinity jumped out :wow:

I agree with you. My point was that certain notes are definitely associated with specific genders and all of Britney's fragrances (except Believe) use notes that typically associated with women. So you just have to realize that a lot of people will think you smell "girly" vs. "manly" and get over that and rock it! I know plenty of men, even gay men, that don't want to smell like flowers or cupcakes lol. And I know women who think Fantasy is too sweet!

14 minutes ago, Goku said:

why everyone wants to smell like a "man"? what the hell does it mean? :watrusayin:

we as gay people should ignore the straight agenda flowers = girls, musk = boys

what's wrong in the smell of cotton candy? who said it's only for girls? the toxic masculinity jumped out :wow:

there's nothing wrong with gender roles / gender expectations / gender stereotypes.. no one's forcing them on you, they're not strict rules, they're just guidelines.. if you don't want to abide by them.. well.. do it.. just deal with the consequences.. :badthoughts:

besides, this kind of connects to biology.. animals use pheromones to attract potential mates and while obviously perfume is not natural it can serve a similar purpose.. different scents having gender attributed to them makes sense.. most straight men are going to be attracted to the feminine energy of a feminine scent and most women / gay men are going to be attracted to a musky, masculine scent.. :whatitellu:

11 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

there's nothing wrong with gender roles / gender expectations / gender stereotypes.. no one's forcing them on you, they're not strict rules, they're just guidelines.. if you don't want to abide by them.. well.. do it.. just deal with the consequences.. :badthoughts:

besides, this kind of connects to biology.. animals use pheromones to attract potential mates and while obviously perfume is not natural it can serve a similar purpose.. different scents having gender attributed to them makes sense.. most straight men are going to be attracted to the feminine energy of a feminine scent and most women / gay men are going to be attracted to a musky, masculine scent.. :whatitellu:

Exactly. I’m tired of these queens bitching “embrace the gay and wear femme!!” Uh... yeah. I get it. I’m gay. However not all gay guys like smelling femme. There’s nothing wrong with either.... same principle just because I’m gay doesn’t mean I have to “act gay” or just because youre a guy you don’t have to “act masculine”. 

Thanks for the comprehensive review, I LOVE PS but my main complaint was the staying power (which is frankly an issue with all Britney fragrances, IMO) and the coffee scent (which I love) being too understated. Sounds like they fixed both these issues for Prerogative, and it’s like a PS 2.0. I’m excited to try it, is it in stores everywhere now?

But I have to agree, the tilted bottle already drives me crazy just from the pictures alone. :selenerz:

47 minutes ago, Goku said:

that's ok but it becomes weird when they brought the gender into the discussion, just say you don't like the smell :calculating:

I do like the smell and it's supposed to be a unisex fragrance so of course I brought that into the discussion. And it doesn't smell like one so that's why it was part of my review...

Archived