REVIEW: Britney Spears' Vegas-style show borders on boring at Sands

onyxhotel09

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney Spears opened her concert at Sands Bethlehem Event Center on Tuesday with her 2013 platinum hit “Work *****,” a song in which she admonishes listeners to work harder for what they want.

It was an admonition the singer could have used herself.

:OMGney::unreal:

4 minutes ago, Sil said:

I would like to know how does she live (as an artist) like this ... knowing that every single concert as mostly bad reviews. I would not have courage to continue.

She doesnt read it, Larry will say the reviews are all positive :tiffcackle:

“Let’s not kid ourselves: Much of the attraction at a Britney Spears show is to simply see Spears,”

I’ve said this before. Majority of fans just want to SEE “Britney Spears”. They wanna be able to say they’ve done that. Check it off of their bucket list of things to do before they die. It’s like fulfilling a childhood dream to see her & the show or get a m&g pic. It’s nostalgia.

The music is a fun escape from everyday life and brings up good memories. There are still fans happily willing to spend thousands of dollars, put up with so much only to get so little and gladly choose to overlook everything that’s wrong with this show and what’s wrong with Britney the performer, just to SEE her in the flesh. The either do not care that the show is crap or they don’t see what everyone else sees out of blind loyalty to Britney. It’s bizarre. But to each their own. :yeahsure:

Just now, Losio said:

post the whole thing please it's blocked in my country.

50 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Please post the whole thing, it's blocked in my country. 

ritney Spears opened her concert at Sands Bethlehem Event Center on Tuesday with her 2013 platinum hit “Work *****,” a song in which she admonishes listeners to work harder for what they want.

The concert, the third stop in a six-venue East Coast tour of her “Britney: Piece of Me” show that broke records in a four-year headlining residency in Las Vegas, was highly anticipated. Spears’ first concert tour in six years, it smashed the venue’s record for quickest sellout (the 2,550 tickets were gone in seconds).

But while Spears’ set included a lot of flash and production, with a cast of a dozen dancers, it was disappointing in what the singer offered, as she seemed to skate through mostly similar-sounding songs and walked – literally – though “dance” routines that hardly taxed her.

So tightly choreographed was the 23-song show that Spears literally spoke to the crowd twice: to say “What’s up, Bethlehem?” after the second song, her 2008 hit “Womanizer,” then late in the show, when she brought a guy out of the audience to dance with her on “Freakshow.”

Call it cynical, but Spears’ lack of interaction might have been an indication of how little she actually sang through the night: When she spoke the second time, she clearly was breathing hard, even though her vocals before and after sounded flawless.

Let’s not kid ourselves: Much of the attraction at a Britney Spears show is to simply see Spears, and she didn’t disappoint in that regard, switching costumes at least six times, with some of them indeed revealing.

The show also offered nods to her past outrageous behavior: On “Womanizer,” for example, she walked across the backs of her dancers. On “Me Against the Music,” her dancers spanked her, and she them in return before she finished by doing a deep back bend while on her knees.

She danced seductively with a group of blue-collar-outfitted men on ”Gimme More.”

The man she brought up to sing with her? She instead put him on a collar and leash and led him around stage on his hands and knees. (Though his very brief freestyle dance actually was pretty good).

And she swung on a ******** pole during “I’m a Slave 4 U,” which was rearranged to be lighter and far less scary than the original – a loss.

That wasn’t the only song that was changed for the worse. Her breakthrough hit “… Baby One More Time” was slower and more deliberate, which sucked out nearly all its urgency. That song was paired with a similarly altered, blink-and-miss-it bit of “Oops! … I Did It Again.”

Most of the show was more thumping club music songs – she did five from her new disc, “Glory,” a few of which at least offered a change-up in formula. On the slower “Clumsy,” with its music toned down, she actually seemed to be singing, though just as you had that thought, her voice was electronically modulated.

“Do You Want to Come Over” also was thumping, but had ethereal voices floating over it.

The slow 2016 song “Make Me,” her last platinum hit, had her in a spotlight and also seemed to have her singing live, but it was one of just a few slow songs she did all night.

Though the show lasted 95 minutes, with Spears leaving stage so frequently (she was gone for a total of at least 15 minutes) and so many dance interludes (one routine by dancers dressed in circus outfits before the song “Circus” lasted two minutes), it still felt short.

It also didn’t help that Spears skipped some significant songs, including the platinum “From the Bottom of My Broken Heart” and the No. 1 hits “3” and “Hold It Against Me.”

In fact, so many of the songs she did were so similar that, late in the show, it treaded on becoming boring. Even “If U Seek Amy,” a song that’s ripe to be shocking, wasn’t.

Spears did finish with the strongest part of her show. “Touch My Hand” had her dancing in a spotlight with two men, who then carried her above their heads. Then fog rolled in to cover the stage for “Toxic,” which started with the same slow, sparse affect that ruined those earlier songs, but thankfully quickly kicked in to its normal racing pace.

A mash-up of her earlier songs “Stronger” and “(You Drive Me) Crazy” had the crowd, which was far too forgiving all night, ecstatic. And Spears ended with a confetti shower on “Til the World Ends.”

Then came a brief reprise of “Work *****,” which was a perverse reminder of how good the show could have been if Spears had only taken her own advice.

I'm not surprised. But  her tours weren't that greatly reviewed in the past as well. The only difference today is they're more accessible now with social media and what not.  She also doesn't have that "comeback" thing to fall back on anymore, so reviewers are less forgiving. But for her sake I hope she reads them and realizes that she, in fact, can't do the same show and expect positive results without improvement. Like she said in her IG video, the moves become stagnant, and it's showing. If she speaks up and they don't listen, I hope there's a way to clean house and replace most, if not all, of the people on her team (not sure how she can do this without her dad agreeing).

15 minutes ago, Anitta Elusive Chanteuse said:

ritney Spears opened her concert at Sands Bethlehem Event Center on Tuesday with her 2013 platinum hit “Work *****,” a song in which she admonishes listeners to work harder for what they want.

The concert, the third stop in a six-venue East Coast tour of her “Britney: Piece of Me” show that broke records in a four-year headlining residency in Las Vegas, was highly anticipated. Spears’ first concert tour in six years, it smashed the venue’s record for quickest sellout (the 2,550 tickets were gone in seconds).

But while Spears’ set included a lot of flash and production, with a cast of a dozen dancers, it was disappointing in what the singer offered, as she seemed to skate through mostly similar-sounding songs and walked – literally – though “dance” routines that hardly taxed her.

So tightly choreographed was the 23-song show that Spears literally spoke to the crowd twice: to say “What’s up, Bethlehem?” after the second song, her 2008 hit “Womanizer,” then late in the show, when she brought a guy out of the audience to dance with her on “Freakshow.”

Call it cynical, but Spears’ lack of interaction might have been an indication of how little she actually sang through the night: When she spoke the second time, she clearly was breathing hard, even though her vocals before and after sounded flawless.

Let’s not kid ourselves: Much of the attraction at a Britney Spears show is to simply see Spears, and she didn’t disappoint in that regard, switching costumes at least six times, with some of them indeed revealing.

The show also offered nods to her past outrageous behavior: On “Womanizer,” for example, she walked across the backs of her dancers. On “Me Against the Music,” her dancers spanked her, and she them in return before she finished by doing a deep back bend while on her knees.

She danced seductively with a group of blue-collar-outfitted men on ”Gimme More.”

The man she brought up to sing with her? She instead put him on a collar and leash and led him around stage on his hands and knees. (Though his very brief freestyle dance actually was pretty good).

And she swung on a ******** pole during “I’m a Slave 4 U,” which was rearranged to be lighter and far less scary than the original – a loss.

That wasn’t the only song that was changed for the worse. Her breakthrough hit “… Baby One More Time” was slower and more deliberate, which sucked out nearly all its urgency. That song was paired with a similarly altered, blink-and-miss-it bit of “Oops! … I Did It Again.”

Most of the show was more thumping club music songs – she did five from her new disc, “Glory,” a few of which at least offered a change-up in formula. On the slower “Clumsy,” with its music toned down, she actually seemed to be singing, though just as you had that thought, her voice was electronically modulated.

“Do You Want to Come Over” also was thumping, but had ethereal voices floating over it.

The slow 2016 song “Make Me,” her last platinum hit, had her in a spotlight and also seemed to have her singing live, but it was one of just a few slow songs she did all night.

Though the show lasted 95 minutes, with Spears leaving stage so frequently (she was gone for a total of at least 15 minutes) and so many dance interludes (one routine by dancers dressed in circus outfits before the song “Circus” lasted two minutes), it still felt short.

It also didn’t help that Spears skipped some significant songs, including the platinum “From the Bottom of My Broken Heart” and the No. 1 hits “3” and “Hold It Against Me.”

In fact, so many of the songs she did were so similar that, late in the show, it treaded on becoming boring. Even “If U Seek Amy,” a song that’s ripe to be shocking, wasn’t.

Spears did finish with the strongest part of her show. “Touch My Hand” had her dancing in a spotlight with two men, who then carried her above their heads. Then fog rolled in to cover the stage for “Toxic,” which started with the same slow, sparse affect that ruined those earlier songs, but thankfully quickly kicked in to its normal racing pace.

A mash-up of her earlier songs “Stronger” and “(You Drive Me) Crazy” had the crowd, which was far too forgiving all night, ecstatic. And Spears ended with a confetti shower on “Til the World Ends.”

Then came a brief reprise of “Work *****,” which was a perverse reminder of how good the show could have been if Spears had only taken her own advice.

thank you!

Archived