Double Standards? (Thoughts on Lip Sync)

Ok so I'm a big big gigantic Michael Jackson fan. For years now, for some 10+ years. And I can't really help but notice some similarities between his career and Britney's. But even though media destroyed both for their offstage actions, not only I never really seen Michael's showmanship questioned, but also I feel ever since he died he became some sort of deity for everyone suddenly, which you're not allowed to even criticize. Thing is, during his 96-98 HIStory tour, even for most part of Dangerous and second leg of Bad Tour, Michael abused lip sync exhaustively. Not to mention his live singing was never really pair with the studio recordings. But I never ever seen anyone make a big deal about it like, ever. Granted, he'd always put on a great show, energetic and full of dance, but hey, Britney did that too from BOMT to ITZ, and got lots **** for all of that ever since that time, pre breakdown. Do you think it's because she was too 'early' at her career to do so, because she wasn't as old as Michael when he started lipping or plain because she was a female? Like, even for some of us fans, would we act the same if Britney was a hot guy doing lip sync? Discuss :sneer:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I genuinely think most people have to clue that he lipsynced (i have noticed but we brit fans are experts on the matter lol) and many others do too, or at least parts etc. Its even understandable if you understand how pop shows work. But i do have to say, i understood and accepted Brits lipsyncing before, but i feel she doesnt deliver at all anymore performancewise so now I do critisize it tbh. She could at least pre record and/or sing a ballad live.

it was harder to tell if someone was  lipsynching back then... cuz mj's records didn't use autotune as extensively as brit... and she lipsynchs to autotuned studio recordings so it's like super obvious :mcorangu:

also if brit sang 50% of the time and/or use pre-recordings... people wouldn't be as able to tell if she was lipping or not, problem is she lips 100% of the time... which makes her an easy target for people to criticise.  Beyonnaise for example, always lips on hard routines, but she uses pre-recordings to make it sound like she's singing live... and ordinary people are way up her ******* thinking she's this super performer who can sing live and do routines but fact of the matter is nobody can... as singing requires breath support, which is something you cannot do if you're running around or doing any routines besides simple movement. just look at mooriah and adele, they stand perfectly still 100% of the time, thats how singers can sound so good (at least in her prime for moomoo).

2 minutes ago, BritneysBitch82 said:

Mj lips? I thought he hated the idea... 

For his HIStory tour, he performed 20+ lipped tracks, only singing Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and the Jackson 5 medley live, and some parts of Scream / Thriller when playback failed (which sounded AWFUL). It's said he had severe laryngitis during the whole tour, but he lipped a lot during Dangerous Tour and second leg Bad Tour too... 

33 minutes ago, STJ said:

it was harder to tell if someone was  lipsynching back then... cuz mj's records didn't use autotune as extensively as brit... and she lipsynchs to autotuned studio recordings so it's like super obvious :mcorangu:

You'd think people'd pay more attention after the Milli Vanilli scandal....oh well, we didn't have internet as fast and easy as we have today tbh, so you might have a point...

• Moderators

I think it's a mixture of everything. Being a female is a huge part of it, but also I think this idea of Britney being a pre-fabricated artist that came out, apparently, out of nowhere, looking perfect and dancing perfect, and people will always attack that, because it "doesn't feel genuine".

Michael Jackson was known since he was a kid, so even if he was a pop, commercial artist too, people witnessed his progress, like from this genius talented kid that knew how to sing and dance, to the adult he became. Britney was singing since she was a little girl too, but she wasn't known to the public, or not as much even after appearing on the MMC. At least internationally, when BOMT came out she appeared as a new artist rather than the Disney Girl that has a solo career now. So, there were two types of people, the ones that loved her since the beginning, and the ones that hated her under the attitude of "who does she think she is? because they ignore her history".

Of course in his last years he was criticized and ridiculed a lot, and after he passed away he suddenly became a god, but his "prime years" were never put into doubt. After Britney passes away (in 245 years :kyliecry:) I don't think even then she will reach this goddess-like status among most of the GP, but she will be a little bit more respected, or at least less criticized.  

I am a performer.  I am a Mom.  I am funny.  I am your friend.  I am Britney Jean

• Exhale+
  1.  He used pre recorded vocals she is blatantly lipping to songs from 1998 and songs that have effects
  2. He is known for having a good voice, Britney isnt
  3. He didnt lipsync 90% of his carreer
  4. He was respected as an artist , Britney isnt
  5. People didnt know that he lipsyncs whereas it was always super obvious when Britney did it
  6. Britney saying stuff iike "I always sing live" and demanding more respect make her even more of a joke.

Lipsyncing to pre-recorded vocals while doing amazinc performance:thirsty:

Lipsyncing to sped up and pitch shifted album vocals from 1998 while randomly moving around stage :idkha:

Lipsyncin to ballads while sitting and holding microphone :nopingout:

There's a reason why she was on every major news source when she randomly sang happy birthday live lol

1 hour ago, The Greatest Show said:
  1.  He used pre recorded vocals she is blatantly lipping to songs from 1998 and songs that have effects
  2. He is known for having a good voice, Britney isnt
  3. He didnt lipsync 90% of his carreer
  4. He was respected as an artist , Britney isnt
  5. People didnt know that he lipsyncs whereas it was always super obvious when Britney did it
  6. Britney saying stuff iike "I always sing live" and demanding more respect make her even more of a joke.

1. No he didn't. He lipped to album vocals.

2. He was known for having a good voice for a child. As he got older, he wasn't taken seriously as a vocalist and seen more as a novelty act. It wasn't until he went solo and released Off The Wall that people started really recognizing his vocal talent. But even then, he was never a particularly amazing live singer. He was more of a studio singer.

3. He probably lip synced more than Britney considering the length of his career vs hers.

4. Because he's a male. Look at Janet. She has basically the same voice as MJ and many times danced more than him, and she was ripped apart for lip syncing and not having a voice like Whitney, etc, just like Britney did.

5. They'd have to be stupid if they didn't know. Half the time he'd miss cues, sing the wrong lyrics or not even wear a mic!

6. Michael did the same. 

1 minute ago, Complication said:

1. No he didn't. He lipped to album vocals.

2. He was known for having a good voice for a child. As he got older, he wasn't taken seriously as a vocalist and seen more as a novelty act. It wasn't until he went solo and released Off The Wall that people started really recognizing his vocal talent. But even then, he was never a particularly amazing live singer. He was more of a studio singer.

3. He probably lip synced more than Britney considering the length of his career vs hers.

4. Because he's a male. Look at Janet. She has basically the same voice as MJ and many times danced more than him, and she was ripped apart for lip syncing and not having a voice like Whitney, etc, just like Britney did.

5. They'd have to be stupid if they didn't know. Half the time he'd miss cues, sing the wrong lyrics or not even wear a mic!

6. Michael did the same. 

Sadly, all true, except for Janet outdancing him. Never happened sis. Specially because much of her style came from him (although she was also a source of inspiration for some of his stuff). But I always feel he got a much bigger pass and had his stage flaws overlooked than her, unfairly. 

Archived