Britney’s weight?!

naturalplayboy

I was just wondering why Britney’s weight was such a big deal when she put on a few pounds. She was never overweight.

Here we have Rihanna putting on a few lbs and everyone praising the fact that she’s “thicker” I think she looks amazing as well.

why was Britney’s weight gain looked at negatively? Was it because she’s known for her rock hard abs or is it because her overall look (I’m talking femme fatale era) wasn’t what people were used to?

rihanna-fenty-beauty-launch-milan.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media and the public always held Britney to a much higher standard than other artists. Maybe it was because of her once in a generation level of fame and popularity. She was so famous that people wanted a reason to hate her. The hate was so intense that "anti-Britneys" started coming out such as P!nk and Avril Lavigne.

people are also pretending that Demi looks good because she has an eating disorder. I mean thats fine, I dont want people to attack her but if this was Britney she would get dragged.  Generally I feel like if the artist is latina or black its fine. If she is just a run of the mill white girl... its not cute.  I also think it might be weight distribution. YOu can have the fattest thighs and butts but if your waist is comparably small people wont call you fat. Britney had most of her weight on her belly so maybe thats why.

This is thick and curvy

demi-lovato-performs-on-day-2-of-redfestdemi-lovato-performs-at-her-tell-me-you-demi-lovato-performs-during-tell-me-you-

This is thick and curvy

Hillary-Clinton-presidential-campaigninglopez-00915-2.jpg?itok=pPBEpSoN

Thick and curvy

ce8ce027fbda92ba1d4751a049d24d86.jpg

Fat and overweight. ( I know both Kelly and Christina got a lot heavier but they were allready called fat in these)

Lady-Gaga-Super-Bowl-2017-1280x720.jpgmsg-129523166347-3.jpgarticle-2622497-1D850C9000000578-588_634a6a1ab3d87743b76cabb00d588d938ba--jessickelly-clarkson-performs-at-sound-advice-

It's because NONE of these artist were EVER known for their BEAUTY in the way that Britney Spears was/is known. I am not saying Britney is/ was the prettiest female artist during her time but she was the standard of white-girl-beauty and was also the biggest artist of a generation.

and... those pictures of Demi Lovata show her looking FAT and CHUNKY! If you like it, you'll say its **** but also FAT and that is a FACT. :cackling:

These days, Britney is usually trashed for weight when she looks a mess; which is often.

I think a big part of it was how iconic her flawless body was for so long.  Another thing was the fact that she was always in the most unflattering outfits.  She wasn’t big, but she was wearing stage costumes that her 2001 self would’ve worn.  Britney is very small (height-wise).  She has SUPER short legs so it’s not hard for a bad outfit to make her look bigger than she is.  The Circus Tour and FFT both had a good outfit or two, but overall they didn’t create costumes that complimented the shape she was in.

Woah why did this become a demi bashing thread? I think she looks great rn. 

I think it was a combo of the style being different then, as well as Britney’s image being so centered around being in great shape, and the fact that she was such a target back then. I always thought she looked great when she was bigger, esp with the darker hair and lighter makeup. 

4 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

people are also pretending that Demi looks good because she has an eating disorder. I mean thats fine, I dont want people to attack her but if this was Britney she would get dragged.  Generally I feel like if the artist is latina or black its fine. If she is just a run of the mill white girl... its not cute.  I also think it might be weight distribution. YOu can have the fattest thighs and butts but if your waist is comparably small people wont call you fat. Britney had most of her weight on her belly so maybe thats why.

This is thick and curvy

demi-lovato-performs-on-day-2-of-redfestdemi-lovato-performs-at-her-tell-me-you-demi-lovato-performs-during-tell-me-you-

This is thick and curvy

Hillary-Clinton-presidential-campaigninglopez-00915-2.jpg?itok=pPBEpSoN

Thick and curvy

ce8ce027fbda92ba1d4751a049d24d86.jpg

Fat and overweight. ( I know both Kelly and Christina got a lot heavier but they were allready called fat in these)

Lady-Gaga-Super-Bowl-2017-1280x720.jpgmsg-129523166347-3.jpgarticle-2622497-1D850C9000000578-588_634a6a1ab3d87743b76cabb00d588d938ba--jessickelly-clarkson-performs-at-sound-advice-

I hated Jessica's controversy. I never would say Jessica looked fat in that picture. That outfit just doesn't flatter her figure and I think that was my argument when that picture caused an  uproar to start with. 

I'd say the same goes for Britney and her VMA07 controversy. Her outfit didn't flatter her figure, I just can't sit back and act like I'm watching a 300 pound woman prance around in a bikini because it wasn't like that to me. 

A lot of people called Rihanna fat and kept stirring up rumors that she was pregnant this past year. The media and fans were also more negative about pop star appearances back then and in general just harsher towards them. New pop stars get away with bad performances all the time. Feminism being a bigger talking point in mainstream media also limits some of the discussion about weight gain. I think everyone in this thread looks amazing and it's a shame that people are so hard on women when they have straight up ugly men in the industry but the women have to be perfect 10s. 

1 hour ago, Hannah said:

I think also the culture of the world has changed. We live in a very politically correct society and 'fat-shaming' is frowned upon. Back then, I don't think I ever remember people using that term.

This exactly. Our society and culture have changed over the years and I think it's become more tolerant and less critical. Which is for the better. I am glad people can be themselves without being bashed 

I mean, it still happens but it's less and less 

5 hours ago, Hannah said:

I think also the culture of the world has changed. We live in a very politically correct society and 'fat-shaming' is frowned upon. Back then, I don't think I ever remember people using that term.

Exactly! Well said. The same with shaming women for being "slutty". Empowerment and social justice has shaped our current society. People receive major backlash for criticizing someone's body nowadays. 

Archived