So... What happened to THIS voice?

KrustyKrab

How did she go from this:

to this?

Yes, she sounds pretty good. And I commend her for having the courage to sing live on stage again, after years of lip syncing. But her voice on Star Search really blew me away - that was a gift. Now she just sounds...good. :mhmsureny:

So, what changed? :ineedthetruth: 

This thread is not meant to bash Britney in any way - I think that she is a beautiful person, has a good voice, and can put on a good performance when she wants to. This is just meant to be a discussion of the evolution of Britney's singing voice. :mhm: 

And yes, I know this has already been posted a thousand times. There isn't much else to talk about (unless you want another "Brunette or Blonde?" thread, or perhaps "What if Britney was transgender?") Also, no one forced you to enter this thread. :unbothered: 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think her voice at that age was the best it ever was, actually. She had a very good range and belting ability but I think I prefer her voice pre-Jive (when she's singing Silent Night, The First Noel at a wedding). She still had traces of that voice left during the Baby era, but of course it was mixed a lot of times with the habits she was taught when using her "commercial voice" - I forget the name of the producer or Jive exec who got her to start singing like that but it wasn't Max Martin. For the most part, her early live performances were strong - Singapore showcase, the Mall tour, NSYNC support etc. I think during the OIDIA era is when she started to struggle with finding her real voice, plus she seemed to struggle with proper breathing techniques while she was singing live.

Years of neglect, smoking and bad technique take their toll on a voice. I don't think Britney sounds bad at all in that recent performance, but she could definitely benefit from some vocal coaching to help her recover, or at least something close to her real voice. Bad habits tend to stick, and she still goes in and out of "baby voice" in that performance, it's definitely not how she would have sung that song pre-Jive. Honestly, I've always loved her voice (both incarnations) and think she has many great qualities (tone, falsetto, low notes) and would like to nothing more than for her to finally stop with the lipping and focus on her vocals. It's a distant dream, but there's signs every now and then that maybe she just might.

Practice makes perfect. Years of no practice makes.... ? You're talking about Britney Spears. The only artist in the entire history of music to gain success from being fraudulent half her music career.

Since the beginning of her career, Britney gets up on stage every night and belt silent notes through a muted mic. 

Unlike Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift who are all mediocre singers (but have somewhat improved through the years of singing), Britney's voice deteriorated through the years of no usage. Britney's voice cracks even singing the simplest of songs like Happy Birthday. Her tone is great but she's always had weak control and now it's even worse.

20 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Maybe it will be an unpopular opinion but I don't think her voice at that age was the best it ever was, actually. She had a very good range and belting ability but I think I prefer her voice pre-Jive (when she's singing Silent Night, The First Noel at a wedding). She still had traces of that voice left during the Baby era, but of course it was mixed a lot of times with the habits she was taught when using her "commercial voice" - I forget the name of the producer or Jive exec who got her to start singing like that but it wasn't Max Martin. For the most part, her early live performances were strong - Singapore showcase, the Mall tour, NSYNC support etc. I think during the OIDIA era is when she started to struggle with finding her real voice, plus she seemed to struggle with proper breathing techniques while she was singing live.

Years of neglect, smoking and bad technique take their toll on a voice. I don't think Britney sounds bad at all in that recent performance, but she could definitely benefit from some vocal coaching to help her recover, or at least something close to her real voice. Bad habits tend to stick, and she still goes in and out of "baby voice" in that performance, it's definitely not how she would have sung that song pre-Jive. Honestly, I've always loved her voice (both incarnations) and think she has many great qualities (tone, falsetto, low notes) and would like to nothing more than for her to finally stop with the lipping and focus on her vocals. It's a distant dream, but there's signs every now and then that maybe she just might.

I believe it was Eric Foster White. Max Martin did have an effect on her voice though. But more with the pronunciation I think. "Oh baybah baybah", "Someone else but may" etc.

20 minutes ago, Goku said:

lmfao here we go, she never sings with the nasal voice outside of the studio. what are you talking about :cackling: 

And??? what did you think i was talking about????:rlynow: she never sings out side of the studio period, when was the last time she used the voice in the video above? 

She grew up.

By the time you're 40, your voice is always at least one octave lower than when you've finished puberty. Add in the fact she smokes and doesn't use her voice properly, its no doubt damaged it. Your voice is a muscle and like other muscles in the body, you need to use it, or you lose it. Being quiet to save your voice does it more damage. A real singer should be singing everyday to strengthen the muscles. Considering Britney doesn't use her voice anymore except for when shes recording, plus the other damage, as I mentioned above, its no wonder she cant sing like that anymore. 

My mind is always blown whenever I attend other artists concerts. They’re singing their ***** off live and britney can’t even do that. Like I always have this doubt that they’re lip syncing but that’s because I’m tainted by Britney’s abilities.

I attended Demi Lovatos concert here in NYC last night. I was shook. Girl is so talented. 

2 hours ago, Goku said:

mfao here we go, she never sings with the nasal voice outside of the studio. what are you talking about :cackling: 

she never used the nasal voice for an entire concert or tour live, you don't ruin your voice for just a few new songs every 2 years :cackling:

i swear this fanbase is capable to find excuses for everything :rlynow:

I think he meant that she forgot how to use her real voice properly because she's been singing solely with her fake one since her debut

19 minutes ago, Chris Dowling said:

But you are bashing her 

giphy.gif

I said that she sounds "good" now. How is that bashing her? I'm just curious as to how she went from sounding "really good" to just "good." And judging from the replies in this thread, I'm not the only one who noticed that change. :mj: 

That gif is hilarious though. :cackling:

• 2 years later...

Britney was promising vocally but she didn't use it and if ya don't use it ya lose it. She had this weird jazzy funky broadway voice that often was off key but very pleasant and unique and very strong when she belts (I will be there, love the heart away, email my heart, sometimes, btmyh, ftbomh) all show strong and promising vocals , by her second album her voice is no longer as experimental but her belting is still very good unfortunately by in the zone after years of smoking , not training and singing in a way that damages her cords her range is pathetic on "everytime" she's not even belting but she gets breathless it's like a lullaby, shadow has some good moments, after itz she starts experimenting and trying to get her voice back and has some nice vocal moments but everything she releases from black out to bj is so heavily autotuned and she only ever does one take in the studio cos she doesn't take music seriously probably cos they are going to process her vocals so why try , we can't know, though everyday stands out and I  think songs like passenger and perfume on bj would be better without will I ams ott auto tune, I actually thought her vocals on glory were her most experimental and strongest  since the beginning of her career it's clear she'd been working hard on her voice but that it had deteriorated. 

I will always wonder what she'd sound like had she not damaged her voice for pop

Archived