Hold It Against Me is POP PERFECTION.

DignifiedLove

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so so so so good. the production on it is out of this world (again, why i want MAX MARTIN on her next album). Not to mention it has all of the britney intricacies people love (sultry, great beat, unique pronunciation "HAZAYY" lol, catchy as hell). lets not forget it really pushed dubstep into mainstream music as well.

It's a great song overall, but I insist, that Dr Luke trend of removing the music in the chorus which is the most important part of a song, is the worst mood killer. If all the choruses were like the last one, I would probably like it more. And I really loved it back when it came out, but when the full album was out, it fell from my top because other album tracks were better. :yaknow:

The video is really good as well, except for Britney and her FFney face.

40 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

It's a great song overall, but I insist, that Dr Luke trend of removing the music in the chorus which is the most important part of a song, is the worst mood killer. If all the choruses were like the last one, I would probably like it more. 

yeah i hate the chorus too. back in the day before the song leaked some people described it as shattered glass 2.0 because of the chorus - i remember being so worried about because i hate this kinda build up beat and fading in nothing. :rlynow:

can someone maybe edit the last chorus in the first? or are there any good remixes of HIAM?

6 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

It requires genuine taste in order to appreciate the genius behind the HIAM video. But no seriously the video is a masterpiece and her best this decade. I'm getting really tired of some of y'all fans slandering it and thinking it's ok to get away with it. :sobbing:

The video was ok in my opinion due to the product placements everywhere. If it wasn’t there it would be a much better video. Like I said, the product placement was unnecessary and I found it to be distracting and annoying. Just because I don’t appreciate the amount of product placement that was used it means that I don’t have “genuine taste” lol. That’s a bit dramatic. :sendinglove:

3 hours ago, notacamwhore said:

She ruined it with her zombie performances :kyliecry:

We're talking about the content of the song, rather than the influence of the performances.:rlynow: Gimme More VMA performance was a disaster for the majority where she debuted the song,  yet it didn't take away the fact that it was a solid pop song.

2 hours ago, BlueGangsta said:

:rlynow:

what? she looked good. besides, the main draw to the video isnt really the looks, its the imagery and all the layers and themes. its just so much darker and more complex than any other brit video, while still having brit's signature style. its a great video. 

6 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

.:rlynow: Gimme More VMA performance was a disaster for the majority where she debuted the song,  yet it didn't take away the fact that it was a solid pop song.

It actually did for me. That performance and the horrible music video ruined the song for me for several years, along with everything it represented in the sense of how her personal struggles were finally affecting her career and ruining her videography for the first time.

It wasn't until, ironically, the FFT performance that I kinda started to like it a little bit, because at last I had something else to think about while listening to the song. And I think it was until the POM residency that I finally started to appreciate it a little bit, but it will never be in my top of Britney songs. 

24 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

We're talking about the content of the song, rather than the influence of the performances.:rlynow: Gimme More VMA performance was a disaster for the majority where she debuted the song,  yet it didn't take away the fact that it was a solid pop song.

Gimme More VMA was better than her FF performances by far tho :rlynow:

29 minutes ago, ralphynno said:

I loathe it along with all of FF. I remember back in my non-stan days, I used to praise Britney for always coming up with innovative non-mainstream kind of sounds. When the teasers for Hold it against me previews and then the full song, it was the confirmation, for me, that she had become officially lazy. It was the first Britney song I heard that came through as 'just a song', the first time I saw her being so basic. I'm sorry, the whole FF album era was a mistake, and I'm glad she's over it.:pleaseshhh:

Another day, another typical bandwagoning FF hater with no solid ground. :cackling: 

I don't know what the 'era' has anything to do with the fact that the Femme Fatale album and singles were a huge step up from her previous album. I'm getting that you're consciously choosing to bash the efforts of the song based off a rough start to the FF era.

Funny enough that you say HIAM isn't innovative yet it received massive praise by her peers and critics as a trailblazing record and introduced the pop goes dubstep movement. It even received praise from the prince of EDM/dubstep himself, Skrillex, where he saluted Britney's efforts.:cackling:

38 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

It actually did for me. That performance and the horrible music video ruined the song for me for several years, along with everything it represented in the sense of how her personal struggles were finally affecting her career and ruining her videography for the first time.

It wasn't until, ironically, the FFT performance that I kinda started to like it a little bit, because at last I had something else to think about while listening to the song. And I think it was until the POM residency that I finally started to appreciate it a little bit, but it will never be in my top of Britney songs. 

It's unfair to judge a song based off of one's personal life. We're speaking on the aspect and quality content of the song rather than its influencing factors. Like HIAM, Gimme More received praise despite both eras having a hiccup of some sort. 

Archived