VERY FIRST TIME discovering Britney

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was about 15/16 when BOMT was released.  I had heard the song on the radio (before there was even a video) and liked it....and then one day Jive Records sent me a VHS in the mail with the video on it.  The VHS was made out of Styrofoam lol.  That's when I knew who Britney Spears was - when I played the video.  I was pretty hooked.  I would imagine Jive Records knew to send this to me because I had bought BSB and *Nsync stuff and well, that's just good marketing.  The video then began playing on TV shortly after.  I bought the CD single (yes, i'm old) as the album was not out yet.  The week of the release I was in a record store where you could hear the album first before you buy it - and I sampled the tracks - I heard "Sometimes", "Crazy" and "Born to make you happy" and pretty much made up my mind that I needed this album.  I bought the album and the rest is history.  I still love Britney as much as I did on day one.

So I have my own blog about random stuff and I wrote a post about my story how I fell in love with Brit. Here is what I wrote just easier to copy and paste :D 

My story with her begins in 1998 when one of my friends back then came to me and said.”Timi, you won’t believe what a great singer I saw on MTV today. Her name is this (showing me Britney Spears written on the palm of her hand). Bear in mind I was around 7 years old and I didn’t know much English. But I did remember the way the name looked like written. My friend kept on explaining how this singer looked like in the video: blond/brown hair with a schoolgirl outfit and hair put in ponytails. How the video was in a school and how much she was dancing in it. She was so excited about what she saw that it made me want to see this special singer and this fun video she described.  Probably most of you don’t know the struggle of finding a music video you want to watch. Nowadays it is easy, just go and search on YouTube and you’re set. But not back in the day. Back then you needed to watch TV and wait for the channel to play the song you want. And so the waiting started. I was constantly putting MTV on and waiting for the song. And not to long after it happened. I have a memory either of putting the tv on or me running to the room to see what song was on. What was on tv was a singer in a pink top and loose trousers singing outside with dancers around her. Everything that my friend described I was seeing on the TV but I had to wait for the end of the video to be sure it was her, because that is when they show the name of the song and the singer. And soon enough I knew. Seeing the name on the screen Britney Spears - Baby one more time. I was so excited I was like Yes I  knew that was the song. I loved it from the first listen and so the obsession began.

8 minutes ago, DownAndUp said:

I was around 5 years old, my dad took me shopping and told me to pick my first CD to buy, and obviously picked Baby One More Time. Obssesed ever since.

I even tried in high school to not like her, but was secretly stanning and checking breatheheavy and ubritney every day

You're dad was cool with you buying Brit and not like Emimen 

giphy.gif

I was about 10 or 11 and it was the In The Zone era. I've heard her songs before at the mall and stuff but never knew who she is and since Arabic music was more popular here we rarely got to hear American music in the house, but once I saw one of her videos (I believe it was Toxic) I instantly fell in love and started searching for more of her music and videos and realized I recognize her voice and some of her songs (specifically Oops which I've loved but never knew who sings it). I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world, her eyes and the way she looks into the camera is mesmerizing. I loved her voice, her style, her visual, her performing skills, her energy, everything. She was perfect to me. I've never felt so entertained and excited by watching a singer. This is why I still stan her to this day regardless of the many disappointments in the past few years, 'cause no other artist has given me the same excitement and happiness that she has. She's one in a "million billion" for me :unbothered:

13 hours ago, overprotectedd said:

I remember when I was 6 and the MATM video came out, and we were watching it on TV with my sister and WE THOUGHT MADONNA WAS BRITNEY  :gloria:

we were discussing whether she looked better in black or white lmfao :gloria: 

:tiffcackle: :tiffcackle:

It was 1998 and  I was in my room recording music from the radio onto a cassette tape, while trying to think of a good story to write. Baby one more time came on and I hit record after listening the second "Oh baby baby".... I loved it. Then I kept listening to the radio and eventually it came on again. This time the DJ said her name before the song and I hit record as soon as I recognized the beginning instrumental.  Later on that night, I played back the cassette and noticed that I had recorded Baby one more time back to back. Apparently no other song that came on after the first I heard Baby one more time was worth recording.lol

Like a few weeks or a month later, I played it for my best friend and he said "oh thats the girl who has the video in the school!". My friend told me how she looked and he described a white girl. From listening to BOMT , I thought Britney Spears was a black girl like Monica and Brandy. Most people who heard BOMT on the radio without first seeing the music video thought that Britney Spears was a black girl.  I didn't have cable TV so I couldn't actually see her until I saw the video. Months later we got cable TV and I saw TRL for the first time but the video they kept airing was "Sometimes" ( which I didn't love) . It wasn't until I checked out a local music video channel that I fully saw the BOMT video.

I was a huge fan from the beginning but didn't really become 'obsessed' until after MTV aired the Making the Video for "Oops! I did it again". I turned off all the lights in my room, popped some popcorn and watch that 30minute episode like it was a movie. lol I had no idea what the song sounded like and thought "Oops I did it again" was a stupid title but I was sooo excited to see hear it. MTV aired commercials promoting the episode where the only lyrics reveal from the song was opening line " I think I did it again" with no music instrumental playing in the background. The anticipation behind that song/video was unreal.  The radio stations  in my city had yet to even play the song. This was the last Britney album before computers and internet became common place in every American home.  Kids these days will never know that feeling.

i saw her picture on the back of some textbook asking "who'd youwanna sit with for dinner" listing her with people like cleopatra and marilyn monroe 

i was like who is that and i looked her up 

at that time it's 2008 aka release of womanizer and the rest is history

Archived