Interesting Analysis on Britney Popularity and sales

crazyboutbrit

Just now, Tetris said:

I mean, in all fairness, most of those comments were from Britards fighting with the guy who runs the site about Britney's numbers. And him having to repeatedly say that it’s objective analysis and not based on personal preference. Plenty of Britney fans have the same passion and delusion. 

I do get annoyed by some delusional Britney fans as well. But lets stop kidding ourself. Britney fans doesn't go to any other page and start the diva war. There are some Britney fans who went to other star page and start comparing them with her, but the amount of Beyonce stans comparing her against anybody is just laughable and pathetic. Its like they knew that at the end of the day Beyonce isnt really that big of a deal, so they have to start a comment wars to make her name appears like everywhere.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2018 at 10:27 AM, toy soldier. said:

This is really sad.

Especially this part:

One pretty interesting highlight is how all Britney‘s albums so far are rather close, all between 167,000 and 335,000 album sales equivalent, despite having been received very differently upon release. Blackout was a disaster when it came out whereas Circus was a success. Still both are equally popular by now. Blackout even almost ties Oops!… I Did It Again, an album that sold seven times more in original album format. Those figures show that, except for a few singles, her catalog is listened to mostly by fans, interested in all her songs, rather than by casual listeners.

Blackout wasn't a disaster. It was barely promoted and still went to #2. Sure it was her first non-#1 but 2 isn't bad. Look at BJ and Glory. Plus GM was her second-highest peaking single on the BBHot100 and POM was a moderate hit too.

1 hour ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

Blackout wasn't a disaster. It was barely promoted and still went to #2. Sure it was her first non-#1 but 2 isn't bad. Look at BJ and Glory. Plus GM was her second-highest peaking single on the BBHot100 and POM was a moderate hit too.

It was her first album not to go #1. So compared to the previous albums it didn’t do well. 

3 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

Barely promoted? She's literally everywhere around that time. 

She was super duper big and it's her first album in 4 years.

The number was really low by that standard.

Blackout is a classic. But it is by no means considered a commercial success.

16 hours ago, alain0227 said:

Barely promoted? She's literally everywhere around that time. 

She was super duper big and it's her first album in 4 years.

The number was really low by that standard.

Blackout is a classic. But it is by no means considered a commercial success.

I'm guessing you weren't a fan in 2007. She was such a mess. The only promo she did for the album was the VMAs (horrendous), that beyond ridiculous Ryan Seacrest interview, and a few photo shoots (apparently her dog took a s--t on one of the dresses lol). So she barely did any promo and the little she did was tragic.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:18 PM, SwaggedyAndy said:

Who is the first? Madonna?

Mariah, dahhling.

20 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

retroactively it isn't. streams and good word of mouth really made blackout justice it deserves, but it was rejected on the radio (by the public, mind you), there was this public perception that it was trash (although it changed), it was a huge sales crash coming from in the zone and my prerogative, it was her first album to not go #1 and people complain about no promo but the label did spent a lot on their best selling artist and in the end practically threw money in the trash with all the problems she was facing.

2 minutes ago, Applejack said:

Mariah, dahhling.

retroactively it isn't. streams and good word of mouth really made blackout justice it deserves, but it was rejected on the radio, there was this public perception that it was trash (although it changed), it was a huge sales crash coming from in the zone and my prerogative, it was her first album to not go #1 and people complain about no promo but the label did spent a lot on their best selling artist and in the end practically threw money in the trash with all the problems she was facing.

Maybe in production but not in promo. And radio didn't reject it. GM was her 2nd highest peaking song EVER since BOMT. And POM was top 20 which at that point was only her 9th top 20 hit.

4 hours ago, Applejack said:

both, they spent money in radio deals, the promo she didn't succeeded in doing as you said, releasing an album of an artist of her caliber does not come cheap either way

they didnt spend nearly what they spent on prob any of her other album promo. she barely did s--t. so thats that.

6 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

I'm guessing you weren't a fan in 2007. She was such a mess. The only promo she did for the album was the VMAs (horrendous), that beyond ridiculous Ryan Seacrest interview, and a few photo shoots (apparently her dog took a s--t on one of the dresses lol). So she barely did any promo and the little she did was tragic.

Actually, I became a fan in 2007.:wigsnatched:

The reason I don't think promotion was the problem is that she's on such media coverage that everybody knew she's releasing something.(with or without promotion)

6 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

Maybe in production but not in promo. And radio didn't reject it. GM was her 2nd highest peaking song EVER since BOMT. And POM was top 20 which at that point was only her 9th top 20 hit.

GM peaked so high because it's her long awaited single. (remember there's a song call Look what you made me do?:lanacackle:)

It didn't last that long. (piece of me spend more time in the top 40 despite only peaked on 18)

And her pre-My-Prerogative singles didn't chart higher was because most of them didn't release at all, GM is her first single that get boost by digital sells. 

On 23/02/2018 at 5:05 AM, BOBIBCFBG said:

He was talking about reception, and it was terribly received at the time. Many critics panned it and only retrospectively realised how good it is. It sold a fraction of ITZ, had one miserable performance and 3 lazy videos. As always fans bought in so there was good first week sales but no longevity. When you look at the trajectory of her career, not her personal life, BO following the success of Toxic, Everytime, TOHT and GH:MP was a bomb.

On 21/02/2018 at 4:27 PM, toy soldier. said:

This is really sad.

Especially this part:

One pretty interesting highlight is how all Britney‘s albums so far are rather close, all between 167,000 and 335,000 album sales equivalent, despite having been received very differently upon release. Blackout was a disaster when it came out whereas Circus was a success. Still both are equally popular by now. Blackout even almost ties Oops!… I Did It Again, an album that sold seven times more in original album format. Those figures show that, except for a few singles, her catalog is listened to mostly by fans, interested in all her songs, rather than by casual listeners.

This is so true! Really interesting article.

Britney was always a dedicated fan base artist. She never, even in her prime captured the respect of the general GP. She was 100% for the pop loving Britney admirer. To this day her songs are 100% Britney to the point where they don’t actually assimilate into the normal music sphere. Even Glory trying to hitch onto the Selena trend was her trademark nasal, moan-y, good girl gone bad sound.

This is one of the main reasons Britney is continuing to fall. She only ever had her fan base to rely on, but since ITZ hasn’t grown with them. Went years without  televised performance or singing live or giving a s--t in general. So not only did she completely solidify disinterest in the GP, she also started losing fans who couldn’t watch the same disappointment unfold era after era. BJ had a huge hand in this. Even the popularity of these forums show that.

The core fan base is still relatively big because she had such a huge impact, that’s why songs/albums shoot up the charts but freefall after a week.

She will always be a pop legend but she doesn’t have the buy in anymore.

10 hours ago, BOBIBCFBG said:

Right but it wasn't a "disaster." A "disaster" is BJ.

They are talking about the release and success. It was a disaster when comparing to Circus. 

They aren’t talking about the music. They are talking about the release and promo. From videos and performances it was a disaster. GM everything besides the song was a train wreck. I now like the video but  when it came out it wasn’t a as well received 

Archived