Is Britney still cool?

CharlieBlue8

Is Britney still cool?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
8 hours ago, Chaoscontrol said:

Was she really cool though? I'm not knocking her, because knocking her would be knocking myself (as she's my fave).

but I just feel like The Beatles were cool. Eminem was cool. Michael Jackson was cool. I don't feel like I ever remember Britney being cool :/ 

I mean, no female was ever cool...

Except Rihanna

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
12 minutes ago, Inherzone said:

Pink and Rihanna are cool.

Britney maybe around ITZ? Blackout?

:brityeah:

Pink is cool for girls, I don't think she is for straight guys

12 hours ago, Chaoscontrol said:

Was she really cool though? I'm not knocking her, because knocking her would be knocking myself (as she's my fave).

but I just feel like The Beatles were cool. Eminem was cool. Michael Jackson was cool. I don't feel like I ever remember Britney being cool :/ 

To be fair, every pop artist was called manufactured and fake back then, and pop in general was looked down upon. So people can say, "Oh, everyone loved NSync and BSB", and it's true that they were mainstream and widespread: but I could point to Eminem and Alice Cooper, who both took potshots at both of those boybands and pop in general, as did plenty of artists from other genres and the GP, too. So if we mean musically, no. Personality wise, however, Britney was pretty cool.

13 hours ago, DMVofficial said:

None of these artists are considered "cool" though

12 hours ago, tommy_boy said:

I disagree, maybe Jlo a little bit, but Madonna? Janet? :janet:  Not at all. 

I didn't mean cool from the public's perspective. In the industry, you're lame once you pass 30 (unless you're Beyonce). 

Of course, I know these women are seen as non-current, yesterday's news, uncool etc. Specially Madonna, who's often called desperate.

When I said they maintained their "coolness", I meant them as a person. Britney used to be cool. She went out, hung out with other celebs, danced in clubs, went to hot spots, she used to be chill, laid back, unrestricted.

You can be "cool" as a person but "uncool" to the public (ie. the Kardashians, Justin Biebs, Paris Hilton, 2004-2007 Brtiney etc.)

Now, she's a mom who paints flowers in her backyard, cooped up inside her mansion all day, she goes to Starbucks every now and then but never really does anything exciting, doesn't really go anywhere. She's boring as a person and not "cool" is what I'm saying. She's awkward and weird.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean any of that as criticism, just an opinion. As I said earlier, it's good for her not to be out there so much. She gets to live her life in peace. But yeah her life is pretty lame, and her image too. The only cool factor she has is that she's dating a hot, younger guy.

Again, not criticizing her. Just saying. 

If you think about it, Beyonce is also "lame" and boring as a person like Britney, except her public persona is "cool" as a popstar

Rihanna is both cool as a person and her public image as a pop star.

I don't think OP is asking if britney is a cool person (we really don't know her) they're asking if she's perceived as cool by the public

I think around 2007 despite everything she was going through she was considered cool.  Charli XCX said so herself :cigney:

When I was younger, I was obsessed with all of the first two records, and when [Blackout] came out, it was the first time a lot of my friends became fans too. This was the first time that Britney had become globally cool.

http://www.thefader.com/2017/09/27/britney-spears-blackout-interview-10-year-anniversary-2007

/end thread

3 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

To be fair, every pop artist was called manufactured and fake back then, and pop in general was looked down upon. So people can say, "Oh, everyone loved NSync and BSB", and it's true that they were mainstream and widespread: but I could point to Eminem and Alice Cooper, who both took potshots at both of those boybands and pop in general, as did plenty of artists from other genres and the GP, too. So if we mean musically, no. Personality wise, however, Britney was pretty cool.

From a personality standpoint, absolutely. Britney has always been a cool chick and still is. I took the OP's question as 'is it still cool to like Britney'. 

I agree, pop had a bad wrap years ago, and it kind of has simmer down. I dunno if people are more open minded, or if the trends have just changed so the GP generally appreciates the sound of it more now, it's hard to say

6 hours ago, sunkissed said:

I didn't mean cool from the public's perspective. In the industry, you're lame once you pass 30 (unless you're Beyonce). 

Of course, I know these women are seen as non-current, yesterday's news, uncool etc. Specially Madonna, who's often called desperate.

When I said they maintained their "coolness", I meant them as a person. Britney used to be cool. She went out, hung out with other celebs, danced in clubs, went to hot spots, she used to be chill, laid back, unrestricted.

You can be "cool" as a person but "uncool" to the public (ie. the Kardashians, Justin Biebs, Paris Hilton, 2004-2007 Brtiney etc.)

Now, she's a mom who paints flowers in her backyard, cooped up inside her mansion all day, she goes to Starbucks every now and then but never really does anything exciting, doesn't really go anywhere. She's boring as a person and not "cool" is what I'm saying. She's awkward and weird.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean any of that as criticism, just an opinion. As I said earlier, it's good for her not to be out there so much. She gets to live her life in peace. But yeah her life is pretty lame, and her image too. The only cool factor she has is that she's dating a hot, younger guy.

Again, not criticizing her. Just saying. 

If you think about it, Beyonce is also "lame" and boring as a person like Britney, except her public persona is "cool" as a popstar

Rihanna is both cool as a person and her public image as a pop star.

Oh! I get it now, well, to be honest Britney was never that cool with the "celebrity hangouts", I remember her saying in an interview she wasn't interested in being friends with celebrities just because they were celebs. Although, yes, she used to party and stuff but that was one of the main signs of her breakdown. 

I'm actually happy that there's still a lot of people who doesn't judge Britney because of her past and genuinly support her, I even think celebrities now have her back more than before when she was just the cool Britney/normal person. Also we as fans haven't asummed 100% Britney's situation, I mean, it's obvious something is not pretty normal with her, but I think the Britney we all know is still there, for some reason her documentals always show that side of Britney, more mature but still the dorky and silly funny person that she was/is.

In public she just gets weird maybe because she's trying too hard to hide her fear and nervousness of the public eye (?), so she turns kinda electric. I don't know, it has to be a medical situation and we have to understand that's real life and diseases/mental disorder/illness happens, doesn't matter who you are.

P.D.: I agree with the Rihanna comment, she's both cool. Maybe the only one.

Maybe not rihanna cool but our generation feel for her and recognize her iconic status. The gp is sort of rooting for her. They think she’s a sweetheart which she is :lemmetellu:

of course she has her haters and sometimes rightfully so when she lips shamelessly or doesn’t move but when she kills it, people are here for her. Fans and GP alike do wanna see something exciting from her again

Archived