"Original Doll" comparison Michael Jackson "HIStory"

HeavenOnExhale

I was just listening to Michael Jackson's HIStory (1995) and came to this realization/thought a lot of the tracks especially "Tabloid Junkie" & "Money" remind me of "Mona Lisa" & "Rebellion" ones that were suppose to be for the unreleased album "Original Doll". Most of this album HIStory is Michael literally dissing his label and the media and exposing them for what they are. Along with other songs like "Scream", "They Don't Care About Us", "2 Bad" because they totally destroyed him his whole life and he had enough. 10 years later Britney began having the same problem with the media. I think this was the path Britney was planning to take with "Original Doll" if the project ever carried I could see her having it in mind. Lyrically this is my favourite Michael Jackson album especially the song "Stranger In Moscow" touches me most and "Earth Song". We also know Britney was writing a lot of beautiful ballads like "State Of Grace" and "Let Go" during this time too, bringing those to light in an album would of been beautiful. Many of these songs were produced and written by MJ himself mainly the ballads, Britney I think was trying to follow this path as well since I remember her saying she wanted to learn to produce music. This album sold 20 million copies in 20 years, wonder what the charts would of been for Original Doll if it went through. What do you guys think? :umsaywhat:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy s--t Strangee in Moscow is my s--t. It also makes me think of Britney. I remember her saying in one of her interviews that even though she is surrounded by people, she can still feel lonely sometimes and that’s exactly the reason micheal wrote the song. He was adored by millions, had tons of people around him but he still felt lonely.

14 hours ago, ralphynno said:

Nah those HIStory tracks are masterpieces, result of maturing, result of a whole career in the business, and also the album has a very well-built concept. It's to be thought as a school history book (even the album itself was a double album, like a book, and called 'book I'), and explore themes like war, poverty, hunger, politics in general, the media, scary news of the world (Little Susie), it's really a contemporary statement on all contemporary problems...It's really a big deal, and not only an album bashing the media. I think The Original Doll was going on another direction. It would be about Britney acknowledging her place in the industry, reaffirming her status as an icon (which she had clearly achieved and cemented, specially after Toxic) and not letting the newbies coming for her place and her achievements. A bit of media bashing, yes, perhaps, but in a different tone than Michael Jackson in HIStory, in a more bitchy way. To be quite honest, I think she followed a bit of that concept for Gimme More and Piece of Me in Blackout. We always feel like we've 'missed' something with The Original Doll being scrapped, but I think what we got for Blackout wasn't much far from the original thing.

Interesting take on Original Doll and even Blackout I always associated Blackout as something completely different from Original Doll never made the connections. Actually when I was younger my parents compared Piece Of Me to Leave Me Alone from MJ Bad, as giving off a similar message. I agree I couldn't see Britney doing these types of themes, I wish she did work with them.

13 hours ago, blurryface said:

HIStory is such an underrated album :kyliecry:

It is! Its my favourite but it gets ignored so badly even Invincible gets more recognition. :meltdown:

8 hours ago, RedCarpet said:

I've never actually listened to MJ's discography. Of course I know his singles/hits but maybe I should listen to more of his stuff because this sounds very good 

Im glad this thread inspired you to listen to more. He has some beautiful album tracks especially on HIStory and Invincible that don't see the light of day. :tear:

5 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

Holy s--t Strangee in Moscow is my s--t. It also makes me think of Britney. I remember her saying in one of her interviews that even though she is surrounded by people, she can still feel lonely sometimes and that’s exactly the reason micheal wrote the song. He was adored by millions, had tons of people around him but he still felt lonely.

Stranger In Moscow is everything its literally like Alien by Britney. I remember an interview from around the time Original Doll was still a project probably the same thing were talking about. 

Archived