Is Britney big gay icon?**

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of like the fact that she hasn't made a campy, preachy song pandering to the gays :ehno:. Were these "gay icons" all about the gay community and gay rights before they became famous?  

But imo I think the biggest gay icons are madonna, Britney and lady Gaga 

9 hours ago, sue the expectional earner said:

except madonna. well i love christina and of course she is a LGBT+ icon but she has released beautiful and the song is about physical discrimination, same as Gaga, Gaga's born this way, katy's firework, britney has no song about something like these, but she is big as maybe bigger than these pop girls for LGBT. maybe just Gaga. and i want a song about this topic on b10. 

Michelle Bell says that Take Off was about LGBT+ people

• Super Mods

I don't know about you guys but she's celebrated in the gay community. Like she's worshipped by the gays and don't people worship icons? 

So gay+icon=gay icon. 

Kylie Minogue doesn't have a song about the gays but she's considered a gay icon and very much celebrated in the community. Just like how the gays identify with Dorthy or the wizard of oz (not just Judy Garland), Britney has been through a lot yet soldiers on not letting others bring her down. That's something the gays can relate and which is why she genuinely liked because she doesn't force herself on them, she is just like them and embracing who she is. You guys list Lady Gaga and Katy Perry but they mold themselves to what the gays like, I'm sure they genuinely care but it comes off so fake, like with Lady Gaga, it's let me dress like a drag queen so I can feel accepted and belong in the gay community or let me talk about how I struggled and suffered to relate to you guys. I love Lady Gaga but that doesn't mean I think she's more of a gay icon than Britney. I mean Cher is considered a gay icon and her whole career she was just being Cher and the gays love that. Same goes for Britney, she didn't try hard, she accepts everyone and everyone is equal in her eyes, why must the gays be singled out like they are some sort of race? 

I kind of consider her one, maybe not on the level that Madonna, Kylie, Judy Garland are.

What makes me sad though is she never really was open about her support for the gay community when they really needed it the most. There was so much homophobia in the 90's and the 00's and I just feel like a statement from someone as popular and influential as her would have really difference in society and would have given a lot of scared gay people hope ):

I don’t think she is specifically a gay Icon, I think gay people like her in general she has great music and a lot of good dance music. But I think it’s Britneys sheer lack of discrimination toward anyone that make her so loved and maybe in that was she has been adopted into the gay community as an icon. She is a generous and unassuming person look at her children’s cancer foundation in Vegas and all the money she raised for that, she was on hands and wrote letters and always speaks positively of her gay fans without exploiting them for attention or praise. She is a humble person with a genuine heart and a lot of gay people probably admire her due to the rejection or hardship they may have experienced. She is also really ******* cool! 

Archived