It’s almost 2018 and I still get so angry listening to Glory

Doug

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

I was talking about CYM, sweaty.

Apart from Better, nothing on Glory sounds even remotely dated yet, it still had a big chance of succeeding. Oh, and Revival wasn’t that much influencial as everyone on exhale thinks, Glory took some influences from it but it wasn’t that original to begin with. 

As mentioned already in this thread by @toy soldier., Revival also had latin influenced dance tracks, “sweaty”.

“Influential” will be the last thing I credit Selena Gomez as. However, Britney herself has stated she took cue from her album and also worked with the same duo (Justin Tranter & Julia Michaels) that shaped both Revival and Purpose, not to mention the same producers as well (Mattman & Robin, Bloodpop).

On that note, you can blame nobody else but Britney for Glory’s underperformance. Her new RCA contract gives her the full creative control. Doing the bare minimum coming up with three half-baked routines (with recycled choreography) and sticking them into her Vegas promo tour isn’t a proper album campaign.

If this is what Britney wants, that’s her right. However, the fanbase will not be allowed to deflect the blame onto others. :mattafact:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

As mentioned already in this thread by @toy soldier., Revival also had latin influenced dance tracks, “sweaty”.

“Influential” will be the last thing I credit Selena Gomez as. However, Britney herself has stated she took cue from her album and also worked with the same duo (Justin Tranter & Julia Michaels) that shaped both Revival and Purpose, not to mention the same producers as well (Mattman & Robin, Bloodpop).

On that note, you can blame nobody else but Britney for Glory’s underperformance. Her new RCA contract gives her the full creative control. Doing the bare minimum coming up with three half-baked routines (with recycled choreography) and sticking them into her Vegas promo tour isn’t a proper album campaign.

If this is what Britney wants, that’s her right. However, the fanbase will not be allowed to deflect the blame onto others. :mattafact:

Britney is a performer, not a marketing genius nor a choreographer. Every big Artist has a huge creative team behind them, you can’t just expect her to manage her own career. She doesn’t even have the education for such.

I’ll still be blaming her team for everything that went wrong, she did everything she was set up to while promoting Glory, she was out there promoting like she hadn’t been in years. It was just Larry and Papa Spears who put her on insignificant gigs trying to promote Vegas and throwing the album under the bus.

:lemmetellu:

1 hour ago, ralphynno said:

the reach :omgreallyney:

Overall I think Glory is really one of Britney's best albums. That being said, I think Make Me was the worst lead single choice possible, the worst video of her career and, frankly, one of her most boring live performances.

I kinda disagree, first choice for me would have been a winter release, but it could have been a good song choice for a lead if the performance and video would have been as different as the music on glory has been (looking at Britney Jean and femme fatale)

Showcasing a different side of Britney, but for a summer release I would have chosen BETTER or NSC.

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Britney is a performer, not a marketing genius nor a choreographer. Every big Artist has a huge creative team behind them, you can’t just expect her to manage her own career. She doesn’t even have the education for such.

I’ll still be blaming her team for everything that went wrong, she did everything she was set up to while promoting Glory, she was out there promoting like she hadn’t been in years. It was just Larry and Papa Spears who put her on insignificant gigs trying to promote Vegas and throwing the album under the bus.

I disagree. Britney has come up with a lot of concepts in her art over the years including music, videos and even tours. She’s had opportunities to release exciting material (the original direction for BJ was urban pop, she would have been ahead of the trap trend) (the Perfume video depicting her as a heartbroken assasin) (the Make Me video, whatever the concept even was would have been infinitely more entertaining than the final product), yet it all gets scrapped for safer and boring alternatives which is exactly how JIVE wanted to manage her career. Britney retaliated by convincing them to go with her ideas. (BOMT, Slave, Toxic, etc.)

15 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I disagree. Britney has come up with a lot of concepts in her art over the years including music, videos and even tours. She’s had opportunities to release exciting material (the original direction for BJ was urban pop, she would have been ahead of the trap trend) (the Perfume video depicting her as a heartbroken assasin) (the Make Me video, whatever the concept even was would have been infinitely more entertaining than the final product), yet it all gets scrapped for safer and boring alternatives which is exactly how JIVE wanted to manage her career. Britney retaliated by convincing them to go with her ideas. (BOMT, Slave, Toxic, etc.)

The record labels run the show at the end of the day

12 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I was going to say this almost exactly, in reply to “Britney isn’t a marketing genius”. She has it in her if she wants to put the time in. 

britney-one-more-time-650.jpg

Overall I think Glory is really one of Britney's best albums. That being said, I think Make Me was the worst lead single choice possible, the worst video of her career and, frankly, one of her most boring live performances.

It didn't have to be, though.

The single cover was amazing, and with the right video and choreo it could have been a smash.

If only there was a better video and choreo... :eeek:

28 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Come on, everything you are talking about would have ended in a big mess for her image, it was all scrapped for a reason. BJ can’t even be considered a Britney album as her record label thought it was a clever idea having William directing Myah while Britney had work done to her face for the residency. It was also her record label’s fault the lack of concept and budget for MM’s second video and the fact they waited till the song was officially dead to release Slumber Party.

You guys tend to always mistake the artists’ responsabilities for the record label/management’s

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Come on, everything you are talking about would have ended in a big mess for her image, it was all scrapped for a reason. BJ can’t even be considered a Britney album as her record label thought it was a clever idea having William directing Myah while Britney had work done to her face for the residency. It was also her record label’s fault the lack of concept and budget for MM’s second video and the fact they waited till the song was officially dead to release Slumber Party.

You guys tend to always mistake the artists’ responsabilities for the record label/management’s

Slumber Party was released well time wise

Its great that folks like you do not work for the label because you don't think smart if you think SP should have been rushed released

44 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

If there's a theme to Britney's visual ideas, it seems to be "darkness," whether it's *** or crime.

Everything that seems to get scrapped has an element of criminality or death to it...original Everytime video ending, original Gimme More video, original Perfume video, original MM video. They all involved death.

5 minutes ago, Doug said:

I doubt it. We all know Britney has been pushing for an urban influenced album since 2001. Blackout was the first time Danja gave her the opportunity to explore more R&B styles. It would have made sense to go in a different direction versus just rehashing Femme Fatale.

Yet Make Me went #1 on itunes quickly after its release and was in the top 10 alot, and seen a huge increase after the VMA performance

People loved the record

Just now, Steel Magnolia said:

If there's a theme to Britney's visual ideas, it seems to be "darkness," whether it's *** or crime.

Everything that seems to get scrapped has an element of criminality or death to it...original Everytime video ending, original Gimme More video, original Perfume video, original MM video. They all involved death.

I agree. She could really delve deep into those concepts and really shock everyone, giving herself more of an edge. Maybe center it around the price of fame, a fall from grace, etc. She would know from experience. Maybe even go back to her 2004 drawing board and come up with another alter ego character like Mona Lisa, she could even center a whole tour storyline around it. There’s a lot of possibilities about where she could go with this.

I don’t personally think it was ahead of the game, but I do think she was definitely on the right course. There was definite potential in a few of the tracks to become worthy singles in her catalogue, but I think the singles released weren’t in the right order to garner a proper impact.

Things I think that could’ve helped:

- Obviously better promo, organisation, effort & video concepts.

- A 12 track album (with a deluxe or ‘Part 2’ released in six months for example, possibly including Tom's Diner, Hey Ma? and new singles).

- Change Your Mind, Better, Liar & Mood Ring being in the original 12 track lineup.

- Higher profile collaborations, but only on the later singles, in a completely different remix form.

It's such an amazing album and I'm really annoyed it didn't get a proper era. At least with BJ, it wasn't an amazing album so I can kinda deal. But Glory deserved more singles/videos and a proper tour. I would LOVE to see songs like Invitation, Love Me Down, Just Like Me, If I'm Dancing live! We probably never will.

Archived