Can her next song not have repetitive chorus'?

indyRS

I kinda dislike how some of her songs have such a good lyrics and a nice production, but the doesn't elevate with each chorus.

I like when hey incorporate a new instrument and adlibs with each chorus the song goes through with the final one having everything they've got thrown in to make it a out with a bang.

Circus (song) kinda suffered with this problem.. the final chorus had a elevated instrumental but the singing was the same in each part and no added BG vocals or her ad-libbing.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

this

something that is a constant in most of Glory tracks is the absence of a strong chorus. MOTM, DYWCO and Liar were the closest to a normal chorus but even they still lack that strength from songs like Stronger, Oops, Overprotected, Toxic, etc.

You mean a final chorus where the song reaches its climax?  Yes, I love those songs in which the end gives you LIFE!!! That's why I love so much Hold It Against Me, some the entire Glory album will never.... :nopingout:

(except for Better) the only good song I still listen to. 

48 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

You mean a final chorus where the song reaches its climax?  Yes, I love those songs in which the end gives you LIFE!!! That's why I love so much Hold It Against Me, some the entire Glory album will never.... :nopingout:

(except for Better) the only good song I still listen to. 

No, well, that's ANOTHER thing, but that's been missing for years in her songs.

Actually that's the reason why I don't like HIAM that much. That climax chorus you mention, should be the "standard" chorus that appears the first two times. NO chorus should ever drop the bass or the energy that's building up in the verses, and that's what HIAM does. The song starts growing and growing and growing and when the chorus appears, it all vanishes with that music-less chorus. Something similar is Ooh La La. That's a horrible trend that needs to stop :donewithit:

But I was talking about normal choruses. HIAM has that horrible defect of the music-less choruses, but at least they're proper choruses that say something, that have a structure. Glory songs completely miss that. Better is a great song, but what's the chorus? The part that goes "oh oh oh, when you know somebody..." ? Technically it might be the chorus, but the real chorus of the song is the music break that follows. Which is nice, I mean, it is one of my favorite songs of the album, but the lack of a chorus means there's no connection with the listener. How are you supposed to sing a music break that gets stuck in your head? It might even end up being obnoxious for the people.

And it's the same for almost every Glory song. DYWCO has more lyrics, but it's not the greatest chorus especially for the screaming part. MOTM I think is the most decent from the entire album, and is really beautiful when you listen to it, but again who's gonna sing "...on the moooooo oooooooooo ooooooooooooooon"?

The perfect formula was that of most of the classic Max Martin songs like BOMT, OIDIA, Lucky, etc:

• first verse
  • pre-chorus
  • chorus
  • second verse
  • pre-chorus (usually the same from the first time or slightly modified)
  • same chorus
  • breakdown/bridge/slow part / etc
  • modified, most dramatic chorus
  • chorus x 2 (with more background vocals, or sung differently at parts, more instruments, longer notes, etc)

But not even the last Max Martin songs Britney did follow this structure. They kinda try it but the choruses remained the same till the end (she doesn't sing them differently or not that noticeable)

She could try any kind of sound or lyrics, but staying true to that formula. Is it really that hard? :overwhelm:

but whatever the formula is, I think the chorus should be the strongest part of the song, not the verses, not the bridge, not the music break

15 minutes ago, ZephyrInTheSky said:

Her most iconic songs have great choruses, but that style is so dead. Most pop music relies on a simple hook and drop nowadays. Max Martin needs to bring it back. :outwithit: 

I think it doesn't have to be that teen bubblegum pop, it could be done with EDM music, with "urban" music, with any style, country, whatever. Is just give the chorus the importance it deserves, a good, catchy structure, and follow the recipe. They can add all the hooks and music breaks they want without removing the other elements. It should be easy, it shouldn't be complicated :CPKney:

59 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

No, well, that's ANOTHER thing, but that's been missing for years in her songs.

Actually that's the reason why I don't like HIAM that much. That climax chorus you mention, should be the "standard" chorus that appears the first two times. NO chorus should ever drop the bass or the energy that's building up in the verses, and that's what HIAM does. The song starts growing and growing and growing and when the chorus appears, it all vanishes with that music-less chorus. Something similar is Ooh La La. That's a horrible trend that needs to stop :donewithit:

But I was talking about normal choruses. HIAM has that horrible defect of the music-less choruses, but at least they're proper choruses that say something, that have a structure. Glory songs completely miss that. Better is a great song, but what's the chorus? The part that goes "oh oh oh, when you know somebody..." ? Technically it might be the chorus, but the real chorus of the song is the music break that follows. Which is nice, I mean, it is one of my favorite songs of the album, but the lack of a chorus means there's no connection with the listener. How are you supposed to sing a music break that gets stuck in your head? It might even end up being obnoxious for the people.

And it's the same for almost every Glory song. DYWCO has more lyrics, but it's not the greatest chorus especially for the screaming part. MOTM I think is the most decent from the entire album, and is really beautiful when you listen to it, but again who's gonna sing "...on the moooooo oooooooooo ooooooooooooooon"?

The perfect formula was that of most of the classic Max Martin songs like BOMT, OIDIA, Lucky, etc:

• first verse
  • pre-chorus
  • chorus
  • second verse
  • pre-chorus (usually the same from the first time or slightly modified)
  • same chorus
  • breakdown/bridge/slow part / etc
  • modified, most dramatic chorus
  • chorus x 2 (with more background vocals, or sung differently at parts, more instruments, longer notes, etc)

But not even the last Max Martin songs Britney did follow this structure. They kinda try it but the choruses remained the same till the end (she doesn't sing them differently or not that noticeable)

She could try any kind of sound or lyrics, but staying true to that formula. Is it really that hard? :overwhelm:

but whatever the formula is, I think the chorus should be the strongest part of the song, not the verses, not the bridge, not the music break

Oh, I got your point, so you mean a chorus with no lyrics? Like Better or Body Ache? Yes, well the problem (for me) doesn't have to do with the lack of lyrics it is more about how good that chorus is, for example:

Just Luv Me: the verses are smooth, slow and pleasant to hear but as the verse is getting to the chorus is loses strength and falls down so it makes (to me) feels like the song is boring. The same happens with Make me, Love me Down, Hard to forget you. That's why I don't like Glory that much. It lacks a strong track that stands out and the closest I feel to that might be DYWCO or Better which is my favorite from the album. 

10 hours ago, Brad Adamson said:

Gimme More is THE most repetitive chorus and also the best, so... (?!)

Sis, I love Gimme More, but its chorus is faaaar from being her best chorus, let alone "the best" of all pop songs. :4music: BOMT, OIDIA, Toxic, Everytime and Circus, just to name a few, have much better choruses.

The best chorus in pop music is probably Madonna's Like a Prayer, that thing is amazing.

Archived