What do you think about sound quality/mastering on Britney's albums?

Nickey

...can you pick your favourite one? :ineedthetruth:

I think that BOMT and Circus sound the best. The other ones are usually too loud, Brinty's vocals are a bit unclear (especially on ITZ), and the bass is farting loud (it's funny that Madonna's Hard Candy sounds the same or even worse, while Circus, which was released in the same year, sounds good). Also Glory is not that bad, though it's kind of squashed with compression or limiter. Britney is like a victim of the loudness war, and because of that we can't really experience the depth of her music... kind of sad, but not everyone notices it.

I treat my CD rips with declipper, and give them new EQ. Then, I can enjoy Brenda in audiophile quality :jamout:

Do you like the sound on her albums? Any thoughts about mastering on Brinty's CDs? :snooptoya:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have no complaints with my Japan pressings. They’re the leaders for a reason. I use XLD and I rip in AIFF (for iTunes Artwork compatibility), otherwise I would prefer WAV for universal compatibility.

I’m actually more peeved about certain digital only bonus tracks (Rock Boy, Trouble, Quicksand) never getting physical releases.

Wouldn’t have been hard to include them as B-Sides on the maxi singles if not on the album.

Womanizer - Trouble

Circus - Quicksand

Amy - Rock Boy

32 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I personally have no complaints with my Japan pressings. They’re the leaders for a reason. I use XLD and I rip in AIFF (for iTunes Artwork compatibility), otherwise I would prefer WAV for universal compatibility.

In 70s and 80s Japan pressings were famous for rich sound - much better than on other pressings. Now they got rejects...:mcorangu: 

And mastering is the same as on the international releases. It's usually better on vinyls, but Brenda has two only. :receipts2:

19 minutes ago, Nickey said:

In 70s and 80s Japan pressings were famous for rich sound - much better than on other pressings. Now they got rejects...:mcorangu: 

And mastering is the same as on the international releases. It's usually better on vinyls, but Brenda has two only. :receipts2:

Their quality control is still superior than other markets. Not necessarily only on sound (which I still hear a difference in) but overall presentation of the product, such as artwork and printing.

I’ve had each disc since 2013.

US:

DF48212C-25DA-4CDE-8E1D-ACB26BAB6DD5.jpg

JP:

6DF5B86C-EEA8-4AEB-A88B-6325D2CA7708.jpg

15 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

They were available in FLAC on some French digital retailers, but it still would be better to own them on CD. :lemmetellu:

On Qobuz? This website is flopping hard yet they have high quality files not available anywhere else. :crying1:

(I agree that having the CD is better, but a lossless file is at least better than a lossy M4A or MP3). :tbh:

Circus is actually one of her worst when it comes to mastering

the title track "Circus" is mastered so poorly, is like they flattened every layer of sound together, im constantly trying the best version files to see if they sound better but they never do. Her voice sounds muffled, the instrumental is not clear enough. The rest of the album is just as though.

I believe Britney's best mastered album is Oops.

In fact you can check it here on this website

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=britney&album=

and to think I found a copy of the scream and shout vinyl and didnt buy it, according to that list is her best master in terms of loudness

Archived