Why do people not like HIAM MV?

MiloszPoland

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UKasz.b said:

Just watched it again and it is worst than I thought! Body dubler, flashing cut-off scenes, her dead eyes, shitty retouched belly. Only the set looks amazing (tower with the screens, stage) and effects like a light bulbs at the beginning. IWG is much better.

People say the dead eyes was on purpose to fit the vibe of the video :tiffcackle: I guess she kept the character for all the promo interviews and performances too to keep cohesiveness.

The dead eyes look in TTWE must be because the fictional Britney knows she's about to die in the apocalypsis but she's forced to dance till the last moment (she would later reveal in her most personal album that no, she will ONLY dance til her body ache). 

I love that video! It's very bright and fun and I love the little easter eggs and the nods to her career on the TV screens. The sets were styled very nicely and it had a very fashionista feel. I think some people just don't like the song therefore couldn't get into the video. Plus it's not like she danced super hard although I do like the dance scene at the end in black.

I don't hate the video at all. When I think of HIAM, I immediately think of the video... unlike for certain other songs that have a video.

Having said that, what I don't like about it is the story it tells and the message it sends. Don't get me wrong- the visuals and cinematography etc. are great; but the meaning behind the visuals are what makes me feel uneasy. Of course, one could argue things are always up for interpretation but tbh, HIAM is about as obvious as a music video could get. It tells her story of rising to fame and the subsequent downfall.

The scene in her white wedding gown makes me very uncomfortable tbh. There are multiple people underneath her dress and she's hooked on these tubes. As the people witout faces move around underneath her, she starts to rise up; literally but also figuratively (as in rising to fame.) It makes the point that there are all these people behind the scenes (hence no faces) that are responsible for the success, feed her (through tubes) what to do, say and how to act. Through all this, she rises up in the air and becomes successful... Through all this,  she's portrayed as this motionless doll, incapable of moving herself.. like a puppet.

Then the downfall happens i.e. the scene with the paint. She sprays it all over, ruining the dress of purity and innocence, falling to the ground, reaching a breaking point.. It's as if Akerlund wanted to say, "Look at how she **** on everything (hence the dirty dress) and had a "**** everything attitude" and look where it got her (hitting rock bottom.) Then it goes on to show her inner mental struggle with herself in the breakdown where she fights herself.. only to ultimately be back on stage with a BLACK rather than a WHITE dress (like before) dancing along to the music. Kinda like a "I've seen the dark side and I embrace it (black).. I can't go back to being the innocent girl (white dress).

It ends with a question mark. "What was it all for? Is it worth it? What does any of this even mean?"

I honestly think Britney herself doesn't like that video at all. It probably was NEVER communicated to her before shooting what the video actually meant to symbolize. I 100% believe that she would have NEVER said yes to this had she known. She probably figured it out when she watched the video though and well, neither the song is anywhere to be found in her Vegas show (despite being one of her No.1s) and she has NEVER discussed this video anywhere.

10 hours ago, MaPlayz said:

It probably was NEVER communicated to her before shooting what the video actually meant to symbolize. I 100% believe that she would have NEVER said yes to this had she known. 

If only this had happened with Make Me :kyliecry:

I remember hearing she had a little meltdown on set when she realised they wanted her to spray paint all over herself and her hair (it was mainly the hair part that bothered her). That's why they used a male body double for the paint scene instead of a women because it wasn't planned and he was a closest thing to Brit they could find on short notice. I think he was one of the dancers. 

So this makes me feel she was still in a bad place at the time which is why I don't like the video. I feel like she was being forced to work at the time when she wasn't ready. 

Archived