Britney & Christina's Rivalry Still Impacts Female Artists In A Horrible Way - Bustle

timito

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a different time tbh.  Britney was very open about things she had opinions on and so was Xtina, because there was far less of a paper trail to haunt them. It was a media created thing, but at somepoint, Xtina did use it to further herself, and then it reached a slightly bitter point (VMA's with trying to expose Britney for lipsyncing, and calling the kiss tacky (because she didn't get air time and Britney's MATM video being too simple and expected, and didn't she pass a comment about it only being cool to collab with madonna in the 90's?). 

Xtina was originally gonna be another Britney clone, like the jessica's and mandy's. She was another MMC kid with a big voice (and Genie in a bottle is a testiment to that). Her label allowed her to use her voice, whilst pleasing the teeny bopper marker, but as Britney's image and sound evolved, they tried to follow suit. Britney faced more backlash because she was the bigger star, Xtina faced backlash because it was a tacky move, that didn't benefit her in the long run, but it happened because her label tried to push her as Britney (the blonde dancer with a *** appeal) with a bigger voice.

When it came to performances, Britney did it better, when it came to music, Britney did it better, and when it came to sales, Britney did it better. 

Britney was also more relatable, and grounded. Xtina tried to push herself as an artist (releasing mindless pop music about ***) but was also incredible bitter. 

9 hours ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

True. It's always terrible though lol. I bet you put Nicki on this and people think its a provocative bop.

But mainstream won't even entertain the thought cause its either a joke like this (i mean this has its purpose, not knocking it, its nightclub music) or gross. Adam Lambert did a fraction of Dirrty or Slave or any Nicki video but he'd be banned in hollywood and sent obscure gay celebrity status. You have these gay rappers who are so good but US rather have these throwaway straight fuckbois lol.

Seems like its changing with Troye, Sam Smith, Ricky Martin, Years & Years being popular. To me, George Michael is the closest you have to a gay celebrity celebrating his sexuality and be toungue in cheek about it, while still being able to sing about all sorts of things

Words can't describe how much I enjoy the video for "Outside". What a memorable video in so many ways! And not to mention I enjoy the song, same goes for "Freeek"

I still can't believe he's dead. :( I know George had a lot of problems and for awhile there I thought the poor man would die in a car accident because he just kept having them. 

Archived