Britney & Christina's Rivalry Still Impacts Female Artists In A Horrible Way - Bustle

timito

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true but the media never acknowledges that some people ie Taylor and Katy encourage feud drama well mores Taylor with Bad Blood and interviews about it compared to Britney and Christina actually being pitted against one another in the media. They took advantage of their youth and popularity to turn their achievements into something negative. IF they truly want women to stop being pitted against one another then there would have to be major changes in the industry.They only care about women as a way to put other women down it's always classy vs trashy, pretty vs ugly, thin vs fat, etc. they don't just write about it, they're obsessed with it. That will never change because the media doesn't value them beyond seeing them as toys for their amusement. . 

Guest Brichney.

and the article is clearly biased, Britney got lots of criticism for her 2000 VMAs performance. "Aguilera was enjoying, exploring, and exhibiting her sexuality in the song and video also garnered criticism, in ways that Spears had not received." WHAT? Clearly biased. A major part of why Xtina was vilified was her nasty attitude. Britney was sweeter and more relatable. Xtina had a nasty attitude. I was a fan of both's music, but Britney was my favorite for that reason. 

1 hour ago, Brichney. said:

and the article is clearly biased, Britney got lots of criticism for her 2000 VMAs performance. "Aguilera was enjoying, exploring, and exhibiting her sexuality in the song and video also garnered criticism, in ways that Spears had not received." WHAT? Clearly biased. A major part of why Xtina was vilified was her nasty attitude. Britney was sweeter and more relatable. Xtina had a nasty attitude. I was a fan of both's music, but Britney was my favorite for that reason. 

Seriously, like Britney was never shamed for enjoying/exploring/sharing her sexuality? From the minute she came onto the scene you had people screaming debauchery! People would tag her posters with words like ***** and ****, come on now Bustle :outwithit:

25 minutes ago, Anita **** said:

Seriously, like Britney was never shamed for enjoying/exploring/sharing her sexuality? From the minute she came onto the scene you had people screaming debauchery! People would tag her posters with words like ***** and ****, come on now Bustle :outwithit:

Really?! Americans are sad and hypocrite. People would never do something like that here

Guest Brichney.
4 hours ago, Anita **** said:

Yes. She's ALWAYS been shamed. The author made it sound like it was all the media starting this and Britney and Xtina were mere puppets. I'm sure Pink and Avril Lavigne were more accurate, in terms of labels marketing women against each other. Pink and Avril both liked Britney but were forced by their labels to diss Britney, because they were marketed as the anti-Britneys. The feminine figure versus the outcast non-feminine female figure. Much more accurate than Britney versus Xtina. Xtina wasn't even as successful as Britney, that's why she wasn't getting as praised. I like Xtina's music, tho. 

17 minutes ago, BKSTYL3 said:

Meanwhile the way in which Aguilera was enjoying, exploring, and exhibiting her sexuality in the song and video also garnered criticism, in ways that Spears had not received. 

Britney was criticised tho :outwithit:

her music video was never banned tho. She wasnt introduced at awards shows with "here she is WITH her clothes on... "  I mean yeah both of them were critisized but I think Chrisitna didnt mind it at all. She wanted to be controversial thats why she she made Dirrty. She literally tried to be as gross, dirty and provocative as possible. The only thing she said she didnt like was the double standard because if a rapper would have done it it would have been fine. Britney was **** and it was controversial because what she was saying in interviews didnt match up with what she was doing on stage and in music videos. Very different reasons for the media attention but both got it and both got a lot of critique.

11 hours ago, Brichney. said:

Exactly.... Britney has been criticised all her life... even more bc of saying she was a virgin and stuff... that made the expectations the media and general public put on her even higher. But she won people over with her down to earth southern charme... but saying that Britney got praised while Christina was criticised is just not true. :flop:

The US and it's puritan stance was already on edge with Britney's Lolita persona. Then here comes X who stayed mostly in her lane, preceded to swerve and crash, now showing Xtina off in all her dirrty glory. That was the straw which broke the camel's back which had to be undone by releasing Beautiful next as a means to cleanse her image a bit. Internationally, *** isn't seen the same as in the US so she was able to score a hit because of the provocative imagery.

17 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

The US and it's puritan stance was already on edge with Britney's Lolita persona. Then here comes X who stayed mostly in her lane, preceded to swerve and crash, now showing Xtina off in all her dirrty glory. That was the straw which broke the camel's back which had to be undone by releasing Beautiful next as a means to cleanse her image a bit. Internationally, *** isn't seen the same as in the US so she was able to score a hit because of the provocative imagery.

Imagine if a gay man made dirrty. USA would explode lol

2 minutes ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

Imagine if a gay man made dirrty. USA would explode lol

Gay men make **** like "Dirrty" all the time. Gay culture just isn't mainstream, it's seen as too oversexualized and campy. It's the reason why Adam Lambert never blew up even while Idol was at the height of it's popularity. Many of those big name gay artists and celebrities didn't come out until their careers were well off or they got caught in the act and had no choice.

18 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Gay men make **** like "Dirrty" all the time. Gay culture just isn't mainstream, it's seen as too oversexualized and campy. It's the reason why Adam Lambert never blew up even while Idol was at the height of it's popularity. Many of those big name gay artists and celebrities didn't come out until their careers were well off or they got caught in the act and had no choice.

True. It's always terrible though lol. I bet you put Nicki on this and people think its a provocative bop.

But mainstream won't even entertain the thought cause its either a joke like this (i mean this has its purpose, not knocking it, its nightclub music) or gross. Adam Lambert did a fraction of Dirrty or Slave or any Nicki video but he'd be banned in hollywood and sent obscure gay celebrity status. You have these gay rappers who are so good but US rather have these throwaway straight fuckbois lol.

Seems like its changing with Troye, Sam Smith, Ricky Martin, Years & Years being popular. To me, George Michael is the closest you have to a gay celebrity celebrating his sexuality and be toungue in cheek about it, while still being able to sing about all sorts of things

1 minute ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

True. It's always terrible though lol. I bet you put Nicki on this and people think its a provocative bop.

But mainstream won't even entertain the thought cause its either a joke like this (i mean this has its purpose, not knocking it, its nightclub music) or gross. Adam Lambert did a fraction of Dirrty or Slave or any Nicki video but he'd be banned in hollywood and sent obscure gay celebrity status. You have these gay rappers who are so good but US rather have these throwaway straight fuckbois lol.

Seems like its changing with Troye, Sam Smith, Ricky Martin, Years & Years being popular. To me, George Michael is the closest you have to a gay celebrity celebrating his sexuality and be toungue in cheek about it, while still being able to sing about all sorts of things

None of this was ever as big as "Faith" or WHAM! though. And you have to wonder if he would be as big as he was if he was an openly gay man during his peak. Most likely not, due to AIDS demonizing the community, he had to stay in the closet. Sam Smith wasn't known to be gay nor was he seen as a flaming queen during his debut. He was very asexually based, like Adele is. That appeals to a wider demographic. It's sad that gay men are even more disgruntled in the media when expressing their sexuality than even women are, who've had the boot for generations. Half naked women on a float is provocative, or even titillating, but gay men? Ha, call in the church to cleanse the streets.

1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

None of this was ever as big as "Faith" or WHAM! though. And you have to wonder if he would be as big as he was if he was an openly gay man during his peak. Most likely not, due to AIDS demonizing the community, he had to stay in the closet. Sam Smith wasn't known to be gay nor was he seen as a flaming queen during his debut. He was very asexually based, like Adele is. That appeals to a wider demographic. It's sad that gay men are even more disgruntled in the media when expressing their sexuality than even women are, who've had the boot for generations. Half naked women on a float is provocative, or even titillating, but gay men? Ha, call in the church to cleanse the streets.

haha true. Or two women kissing, HOT! As long as theyre both lipstick lesbian types. It's funny to see other gay men taking down gay singers if they don't fit the mold that people tell them its ok to be gay, basically a sassy macho man lol.. The one song where Sam is a thot, that'll be his downfall (even though I really want him to embrace his sluttiness and stop the sad songs )  With George its funny cause looking back now, the 80s had a bunch of very obviously queer singers who were huge but just didnt outright come out, def w/ AIDS crisis being in full swing and everyone pretending the LGBT didnt exist. I mean look at Wake Me Up Before You Go Go... cmon :nopingout:

Archived