Why Britney’s career is what it is today - a look back, she isn’t the artist she wanted to be

MyAccountGotBanned

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree from a poster who said "Britney Spears" was an illusion and anytime I watch videos of her back in her prime its sort of like an escapism, magic same way with Michael Jackson. But OP what did you mean by "One day she will write a book and probably break our hearts when she taints a lot of her legacy by revealing the truth of her early career ... "? 

On 10/27/2017 at 1:44 PM, KatLove said:

I agree from a poster who said "Britney Spears" was an illusion and anytime I watch videos of her back in her prime its sort of like an escapism, magic same way with Michael Jackson. But OP what did you mean by "One day she will write a book and probably break our hearts when she taints a lot of her legacy by revealing the truth of her early career ... "? 

If she says she wasn’t happy with certain performances, if they forced her and belittled her to do certain songs etc .... like when she says now the snake was stupid etc. 

Tbh I don't think she'll ever write about it. Simply because if there's any hidden situation going on with her, that's still messing up with her happiness, I don't think it would be easy to talk about it, but in the other hand, if she's already overcome any troubles she had in the past, I don't think she would be interested in talking about things she already moved on with, because she hates putting herself as a victim. But who knows, maybe someday...

But even though I agree with most of what you wrote, I think we exaggerate when we say or assume that she doesn't care anymore about her job. You quoted Britney in one of her most awkward moments "I think it's just a song" and I think we can't take anything from that, clip, as a valid proof of anything, besides the fact that she gets really uncomfortable with people she just met, in small places, and surrounded by cameras, AND singing her own songs. We could quote instead her Glory promo interviews when she said she was actually "aware of the numbers" when it came to sales and stuff. That doesn't sound as someone who doesn't give a damn about her career.

I think the situation is rather sadder. I believe that she's actually trying, and failing miserably, because on her own she won't get the things she wants to. Just like Karen Quak helped her to find her passion again when they made Glory, she needs to find a team of people that help her, first of all, to create a vision of what she wants to do onstage, in the studio, in videoclips, etc, and then bring that to life, and that's something we've mentioned here many other times. If you think about it, when she started to show a progress in the POM shows with the mermaid hair in 2015, that must've been around the time she was recording the Glory songs, and then till 2016.

Someone that doesn't care about her performances, was 2007ney at the VMA's, or FFney, but I was just watching this clip from last night

Look how nervous she goes when she messes up the BOMT/OIDIA break.If she didn't give a ****, she would've just kept walking as if nothing had happened. But why does she messes it up, and start doing these rapid movements? Because they changed it. And why did they do that? Because she most likely thought that it would make things more interesting and fresh, but didn't rehearse enough. But if she doesn't rehearse enough, I don't think that would be because she doesn't care, but because she just thinks it's easier than it actually is. She doesn't have anyone that tells her, Britney, you need to rehearse more. Or Britney, that doesn't look good, leave the break as it is. Or that makeup isn't flattering. Or don't destroy that outfit. And that can be seen as positive in the sense that, they're letting her make her own decisions, but the truth is she needs guidance, in all the aspects of her career. Not a boss that tells her what to do, but someone that helps her find a new vision, bringing to life her ideas but applying the rules and the wisdom of the field they're experts in. But my point is, she does care, even if she ends up making things worse than what they were, she makes all these little changes in the dance moves, in the outfits, because that's her idea of a revamp.

58 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh I don't think she'll ever write about it. Simply because if there's any hidden situation going on with her, that's still messing up with her happiness, I don't think it would be easy to talk about it, but in the other hand, if she's already overcome any troubles she had in the past, I don't think she would be interested in talking about things she already moved on with, because she hates putting herself as a victim. But who knows, maybe someday...

But even though I agree with most of what you wrote, I think we exaggerate when we say or assume that she doesn't care anymore about her job. You quoted Britney in one of her most awkward moments "I think it's just a song" and I think we can't take anything from that, clip, as a valid proof of anything, besides the fact that she gets really uncomfortable with people she just met, in small places, and surrounded by cameras, AND singing her own songs. We could quote instead her Glory promo interviews when she said she was actually "aware of the numbers" when it came to sales and stuff. That doesn't sound as someone who doesn't give a damn about her career.

I think the situation is rather sadder. I believe that she's actually trying, and failing miserably, because on her own she won't get the things she wants to. Just like Karen Quak helped her to find her passion again when they made Glory, she needs to find a team of people that help her, first of all, to create a vision of what she wants to do onstage, in the studio, in videoclips, etc, and then bring that to life, and that's something we've mentioned here many other times. If you think about it, when she started to show a progress in the POM shows with the mermaid hair in 2015, that must've been around the time she was recording the Glory songs, and then till 2016.

Someone that doesn't care about her performances, was 2007ney at the VMA's, or FFney, but I was just watching this clip from last night

Look how nervous she goes when she messes up the BOMT/OIDIA break.If she didn't give a ****, she would've just kept walking as if nothing had happened. But why does she messes it up, and start doing these rapid movements? Because they changed it. And why did they do that? Because she most likely thought that it would make things more interesting and fresh, but didn't rehearse enough. But if she doesn't rehearse enough, I don't think that would be because she doesn't care, but because she just thinks it's easier than it actually is. She doesn't have anyone that tells her, Britney, you need to rehearse more. Or Britney, that doesn't look good, leave the break as it is. Or that makeup isn't flattering. Or don't destroy that outfit. And that can be seen as positive in the sense that, they're letting her make her own decisions, but the truth is she needs guidance, in all the aspects of her career. Not a boss that tells her what to do, but someone that helps her find a new vision, bringing to life her ideas but applying the rules and the wisdom of the field they're experts in. But my point is, she does care, even if she ends up making things worse than what they were, she makes all these little changes in the dance moves, in the outfits, because that's her idea of a revamp.

She needs a proper Creative Director.

When was the last time she worked with a professional who tied it all together?

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

How long has Britney been in this industry?  The show is about to end so who knows what lies ahead.  But if she isn't a comparable performer to Janet Jackson in her 50s or Paula Abdul, she shouldn't return to the stage unless she completely overhauls her performing style, given how much she's paid.  She has a massive fortune and gets plenty of royalties from her business interests so she just shouldn't perform if she can't be at that level.

There's no doubt she's has made a big impact, arguably the most impactful female 'artist' of the 2000s, but she was extremely naive.  As early as 2001, she said in the future she wanted a family and to "do this on the side" (16:18)  What kind of artist says this?

She was obviously a completely manufactured pop star up until In The Zone (the VMA 'gimmicks' weren't her idea) and after she showed creativity on that album she got married twice and had kids.

I don't think she had it in her to be a true artist because she could have fought for the Original Doll album and accept the consequences but she didn't.  It's quite clear that she just wanted to be an entertainer and nothing more.  The conservatorship restricted a whole lot, including her artistry, but it was her decision-making that led to it.

15 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

She needs a proper Creative Director.

When was the last time she worked with a professional who tied it all together?

15 hours ago, zxcvb said:

How long has Britney been in this industry?  The show is about to end so who knows what lies ahead.  But if she isn't a comparable performer to Janet Jackson in her 50s or Paula Abdul, she shouldn't return to the stage unless she completely overhauls her performing style, given how much she's paid.  She has a massive fortune and gets plenty of royalties from her business interests so she just shouldn't perform if she can't be at that level.

There's no doubt she's has made a big impact, arguably the most impactful female 'artist' of the 2000s, but she was extremely naive.  As early as 2001, she said in the future she wanted a family and to "do this on the side" (16:18)  What kind of artist says this?

She was obviously a completely manufactured pop star up until In The Zone (the VMA 'gimmicks' weren't her idea) and after she showed creativity on that album she got married twice and had kids.

I don't think she had it in her to be a true artist because she could have fought for the Original Doll album and accept the consequences but she didn't.  It's quite clear that she just wanted to be an entertainer and nothing more.  The conservatorship restricted a whole lot, including her artistry, but it was her decision-making that led to it.

Maybe she needs a life coach or however they're called. It's like she's completely lost the perspective of things, in both her life and career. She feels like she's doing fine, because there is a balance between her personal life and career, but she doesn't realize, or at least it seems like it, that she's not actually living the life she once wanted, and her career isn't what one would think it would be at this point, or what it could be. But who am I, or us to judge what's the best for her?

But my whole point is that, I don't think it's not about her not caring anymore, but that her standards have changed so much, that she thinks she's just doing fine, but it's just because she's lost the perspective, she lacks the ambition that other artists have, and there's nothing making her push the boundaries. But if she's happy with that, why would she look up for a change? Unless she gets really, really boring, she won't start looking for a new purpose, a new goal in her life or her career.

I really  don't think Britney hated being a pop star! she's just over it that's all! it's not about her image,  I don't think she wanted a different image and sing powerful songs with strong vocals are you kidding! if she wanted her music to be like that why didn't she record stuff like that for blackout or Glory ? she completely had control over those two albums! she choose (what you need) only to show people she has some vocals but didn't care enough to chose a deep powerful song instead of that silly song!  and remember when they showed her a clip of her singing in her best friend weeding and she was so embarrassed and uncomfortable watching herself sing in a more mature way? why she wasn't proud of her strong vocals back then if she really like that Britney more ?  as much as I love Britney but I really don't think she has a deeper artistic side that she can't show like some of you like to believe I don't think she's that deep she's just a playful person she plays with lyrics and ideas for videos like kids play with their toys and use all kind of imagination it's fun but not "artistic" it was always only a hobby for her and that's why she's bored of it now.

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Maybe she needs a life coach or however they're called. It's like she's completely lost the perspective of things, in both her life and career. She feels like she's doing fine, because there is a balance between her personal life and career, but she doesn't realize, or at least it seems like it, that she's not actually living the life she once wanted, and her career isn't what one would think it would be at this point, or what it could be. But who am I, or us to judge what's the best for her?

But my whole point is that, I don't think it's not about her not caring anymore, but that her standards have changed so much, that she thinks she's just doing fine, but it's just because she's lost the perspective, she lacks the ambition that other artists have, and there's nothing making her push the boundaries. But if she's happy with that, why would she look up for a change? Unless she gets really, really boring, she won't start looking for a new purpose, a new goal in her life or her career.

I have a feeling they've tried that with her...Wasn't that what Madonna was originally trying to do? Wasn't Lou M. Taylor originally brought in as her life coach? Wasn't that Strawberry's original function back when she joined the Circus tour? Isn't that sort of what Robin Greenhill is doing, on behalf of Lou?

It's almost like she needs a life coach, but for her career...Someone like Karen Kwak, but who can do more than just music. Someone who can oversee the visuals as well.

I don't know...Maybe what she really needs is a long break? Either that, or some honesty from her Team. It's almost as if they just tell her what she wants to hear in order to keep the machine grinding on. 

1 hour ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I have a feeling they've tried that with her...Wasn't that what Madonna was originally trying to do? Wasn't Lou M. Taylor originally brought in as her life coach? Wasn't that Strawberry's original function back when she joined the Circus tour? Isn't that sort of what Robin Greenhill is doing, on behalf of Lou?

It's almost like she needs a life coach, but for her career...Someone like Karen Kwak, but who can do more than just music. Someone who can oversee the visuals as well.

I don't know...Maybe what she really needs is a long break? Either that, or some honesty from her Team. It's almost as if they just tell her what she wants to hear in order to keep the machine grinding on. 

lou and robin were never her life coach. lou was the one who initiated the conservatorship (not her dad) she's a "business manager". both her and robin work at tri star entertainment. and i'm pretty sure robin is her assistant or something of that nature. strawberry is a **** and alcohol and recovery counselor so she's probably britney's sober coachhttps://onetx.com/michelle-heymann/. but yea i do think she needs a life coach but she needs to get out of that c-ship

1 hour ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I don't know if a long break, but she does need a period of time to find what she wants. Maybe, yes, a break from performing and releasing stuff, but behind the scenes she needs to keep working, in the sense of recording stuff, experimenting with people, with concepts, with styles. She needs to keep dancing, on her own, to rediscover again her style, but always with someone that guides her and that helps her to bring that passion out of her.

I mean, she has the money, the time and everything to do whatever she wants; if she wants to be a teacher, then she could perfectly prepare herself for it, to be a professional teacher, but at the same time, if she doesn't want to prepare for that professionally, she can keep doing what she's doing now without any worries, simply because she can. So as long as she doesn't have some kind of awakening, she won't start looking for the help of any expert, 'cause she doesn't have any needs.

At the end, if she keeps performing like this, and doing more shows like this Vegas residency, I still will be pleased, because I love her and everything that she does, but I do understand when some people in here, or most of the people in here complain, because she has the potential to do bigger things with her career.

4 minutes ago, MM said:

lou and robin were never her life coach. lou was the one who initiated the conservatorship (not her dad) she's a "business manager". both her and robin work at tri star entertainment. and i'm pretty sure robin is her assistant or something of that nature. strawberry is a **** and alcohol and recovery counselor so she's probably britney's sober coachhttps://onetx.com/michelle-heymann/. but yea i do think she needs a life coach but she needs to get out of that c-ship

In the June 2006 version of US Weekly (yes, I know, it's US Weekly) they talked about Britney having a new Christian life coach. Cover here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/you-want-a-piece-of-me?utm_term=.ahqJ3KXEG#.ydgg6NJA3

That's around the time that Lou was the "Spears family spokesman" and was becoming heavily involved in the lives of Lynne and Jamie Lynn, and even Jamie. Lou's husband is a pastor, and by August 2006 her bio on the Tri Star web site was this:

"I focus on making a difference in our business by operating a life management model that includes a cohesive working relationship with each member of a client’s team to ensure maximum professional support and counsel."

A life management model.

I've always figured Lou was much more than just a business manager -- more like a business manager, life coach, conservator and pastor all rolled into one. 

4 minutes ago, MM said:

Yeah Robin!! I couldn't remember her name lol She's the one I met this past Thursday when I was in Vegas. I met her and Britney's father while we were waiting to cross the street between the Monte Carlo hotel and the New York New York I believe.

She's always reminded me of that actress from the Friends tv show :gimmemoar:

18 minutes ago, Steel Magnolia said:

In the June 2006 version of US Weekly (yes, I know, it's US Weekly) they talked about Britney having a new Christian life coach. Cover here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/you-want-a-piece-of-me?utm_term=.ahqJ3KXEG#.ydgg6NJA3

That's around the time that Lou was the "Spears family spokesman" and was becoming heavily involved in the lives of Lynne and Jamie Lynn, and even Jamie. Lou's husband is a pastor, and by August 2006 her bio on the Tri Star web site was this:

"I focus on making a difference in our business by operating a life management model that includes a cohesive working relationship with each member of a client’s team to ensure maximum professional support and counsel."

A life management model.

I've always figured Lou was much more than just a business manager -- more like a business manager, life coach, conservator and pastor all rolled into one. 

ahh ok i never read that article. i still don't think it's a good idea to have the person managing your business to be your life coach lol. 

5 hours ago, MM said:

ahh ok i never read that article. i still don't think it's a good idea to have the person managing your business to be your life coach lol. 

I think it's a terrible idea!

It also could be the reason why Britney fought the conservatorship so strenuously in the early years. The life coach/Bible/money manger combo feels a little...what's the word...devious? Especially for someone having their legal rights removed from them.

From 2006:

"As the President of Tri Star Sports and Entertainment Group, Lou is a recognized authority on management in the sports and entertainment world. Some of her clients include supermodel Niki Taylor, Jamie Lynn Spears - star of "Zoey 101" and Britney's younger sister. Lou has also worked with Major League Baseball's Jose Canseco. "I am a strong woman, I am a boss, I am a woman in a man's business, I am married to a Godly man and Pastor, I am a submissive wife." - Lou M. Taylor"

http://drewmarshall.ca/listen2006-html/

Lou also counts herself as the "architect" of the Las Vegas residency...another reason I've always been a little leery of it.

"But perhaps Taylor’s most significant signing is Spears, who became a Tri Star client after a period of personal and professional tumult in the late 2000s. Not only did Taylor help get Spears’ affairs in order, she was one of the architects of the singer’s residency at Axis Theater at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas. The residency has grossed more than $100 million in ticket sales alone since it opened in December 2013, paving the way for Sin City residencies by other millennial-era acts, including Justin Timberlake, the Backstreet Boys and Tri Star client Jennifer Lopez.

“Now, Bruno Mars is doing a mini-residency and Pitbull is coming in,” says Taylor. “You’ve got people who are still relevant, active, thriving, at the top of their career, going into Vegas based on a business model of risk that we took five years ago.”"

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/britney-spears-kenny-britt1202599274-1202599274/

I'd also add, it's all in the past now and there's no changing it but while Blackout is fine, Britney totally dropped the ball on the Original Doll album.  That would have been the real game changer, not Blackout.

She should have fought for it, (a la Christina Aguilera and Stripped) and accept the consequences but she didn't.  She was becoming a real artist after In The Zone.

Archived