GP talking about if Britney is overrated or not

WilderWein

I found this: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1926153/is-britney-spears-overrated

Some of the comments are really annoying and uneducated.One person even said this *eye roll* : " I have never understood how someone so average but to be so successful. She's ok looking, an ok singer, an ok dancer and she released so so songs and yet she became a global superstar."

I personally think Britney has actually been quite underrated throughout most of her career..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what they mean is that her star power and charisma was always bigger than her talent, which is true. And if you're not a fan then I can understand why you don't understand it. But the fact is she captured millions of fans.

What I would say is since 2007 she has been given a free pass in a lot of ways and is overrated. For example singing one song live is newsworthy for Britney. She regularly has lipsync mess ups and spends half her performances fixing her hair and bending her knees, and no one boycotts her. When people talk about her often their first reaction is 'Aww, I love Britney' in a very caring/kind but almost pitiful sort of way. She's definitely not held to the same standard as other popstars and her star power and name is still bigger than the actual talent.

However this hasn't been enough to sustain long term interest, there's really only her hardcore fan base still really interested which means her music has little longevity.

I would say her talents in singing, writing and playing instruments are underrated but she never ******* shows them off so how could people appreciate them?! 

43 minutes ago, Hypnotherapy said:

I think what they mean is that her star power and charisma was always bigger than her talent, which is true. And if you're not a fan then I can understand why you don't understand it. But the fact is she captured millions of fans.

What I would say is since 2007 she has been given a free pass in a lot of ways and is overrated. For example singing one song live is newsworthy for Britney. She regularly has lipsync mess ups and spends half her performances fixing her hair and bending her knees, and no one boycotts her. When people talk about her often their first reaction is 'Aww, I love Britney' in a very caring/kind but almost pitiful sort of way. She's definitely not held to the same standard as other popstars and her star power and name is still bigger than the actual talent.

However this hasn't been enough to sustain long term interest, there's really only her hardcore fan base still really interested which means her music has little longevity.

I would say her talents in singing, writing and playing instruments are underrated but she never ******* shows them off so how could people appreciate them?! 

great points, i agree. i think was underrated earlier in her career but now... maybe even overrated. she really bad live... :0

35 minutes ago, WilderWein said:

great points, i agree. i think was underrated earlier in her career but now... maybe even overrated. she really bad live... :0

Yes I think people were really hard on her at the beginning and let their hatred of pop and downright sexism blind them of them fact that, regardless of what you think about her voice or music, she could put on a SHOW. People definitely threw **** at her and focused on her weaker points. But I think that just comes with being a huge star, it's polarizing.

8 minutes ago, Hypnotherapy said:

Yes I think people were really hard on her at the beginning and let their hatred of pop and downright sexism blind them of them fact that, regardless of what you think about her voice or music, she could put on a SHOW. People definitely threw **** at her and focused on her weaker points. But I think that just comes with being a huge star, it's polarizing.

She was one of the best performers. I can still watch DWAD and still be in shock 

hm there are some fact:

1) There are better singers, songwriters, actresses and dancers.. So when it comes to Britneys success and you haven't been in pop music industry for several decades you might think that she is overrated (cause toxic and baby isn't enough)..

2) For the person who f** changed the music industry she is underrated.. everybody should kiss her white southern Louisiana *** and be grateful that they are able to listen high quality pop music (Without Britney influence we should have unpopular spice girl bands here) ...

p.s. I get haters who don't listen to pop though..

its-britney-*****.gif

The comment in the OP isn't that mean so calm down. :whitneyshade:

Primeney isn't underrated (commercially at least). Critically? You can say that. Her best albums (ITZ and BO) are bellow stuff like Glory on Metacritic, but commercially she was huge. It's not like we're talking about some underground indie SoundCloud girl who needs to promote her stuff on Twitter all the time just so she can eat. She was one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. :whitneyshade: Currentney is overrated to hell and back by this fanbase though.. :lollipop:

I think, realistically and objectively, here's the truth: Britney has an amazing talent. She's a great performer, a good vocalist (of course, not the best), probably one of the best dancers out there and a good writer. Which means that yes, there definitely are a lot of other singers that are way better than her but it's the fact that Britney still has that something that managed to capture and charm millions of people around the globe. She's one of the biggest stars out there, period, and most of her prime stuff has become instantly iconic. She literally changed pop culture. And there aren't many people who could do all of that with Britney's level of talent, so that has to mean something.

Firstly digitalspy is full of bitter trash in every kind of way, just look at the other threads, truly depressing. That's not the GP.

Britney has always been dragged for being talentless. I once showed people footage of Britney playing the piano singing everytime (the toxic performance on YouTube) and they outright said it was fake and made weird excuses. 

She's not overrated cos she's pretty much a laughing stock, as an artist and and person breaks my heart to say.

Overrated are what most artists are now. Britney performed with a snake, danced her *** off, worked hard and wasn't pushing some sjw agenda or constantly saying how great a dancer she was, going on about writing everytime, going on about her family issues, or outwardly projecting being humble with publicity stunts, nor was she being held as a demigod for it.

She just did the popstar thing, some people hate that and think it's fake, and that's fair enough.

I agree with most comments here. The thing is, I think GP doesnt know her story and talents like we do. So therefor I think she underrated because her actual talents are not acknowledged. I think she still shows talent its just her dancing is awful and she never sings live. But back in the day she def. deserved more credit. She also has a very unique recognisable voice. You dont have to be able to scream like xtina and mariah to be talented. Talent comes in many forms. No one can do Britneys voice and when they try to imitate they usually sound like a parody. And the comment I copied out of the comments is just stupid. Britney was never average in those ways...  but the users username is “BlondieX” or something so maybe its just a case of the jelly haha.

You just have to be objective about it which is hard to do sometimes as a fan. The general public doesn't know what songs she wrote, her involvement in the creation process, her professionalism, etc. They know the image her team put out there i.e. hot blonde who doesn't sing live. They would have to make more of an effort to show her talent with her prime level dancing, live singing, and interviews articulating her ideas properly. Also there are some people who just straight up think that anyone mainstream is mediocre. Just another example, I was in shock that people didn't know Demi Lovato could sing until she did an Adele cover but the general public doesn't follow pop culture. They also don't know how many people have bashed Britney in the past only to retract and admit they were fans. 

like people have already said its understandable why a non-fan would consider britney overrated, she never attempts (not even in her prime) to prove to people what her other talents aside from being the pretty blonde popstar are bc her *** appeal has always been more important. its been the selling point for her career and i think britney/her team don't really know how to move forward from that whole image so they stick with it because its what worked for her back then. she needs to change it up bc the gp is not interested anymore & slowly but surely her fans are also losing interest.

26 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

like people have already said its understandable why a non-fan would consider britney overrated, she never attempts (not even in her prime) to prove to people what her other talents aside from being the pretty blonde popstar are bc her *** appeal has always been more important. its been the selling point for her career and i think britney/her team don't really know how to move forward from that whole image so they stick with it because its what worked for her back then. she needs to change it up bc the gp is not interested anymore & slowly but surely her fans are also losing interest.

Being a blonde sweet white girl doesnt work in 2017. Even having shows filled with coregraphy isnt appreacited anymore.

Archived