Hugh Hefner Was "Obsessed" With Getting Britney Spears To Cover Playboy

Jordan Miller

• Leader
britney-playboy-hugh-hefner.jpg

Britney or forget it.

Hugh Hefner died at the age of 91 on Wednesday (RIP). His former West Coast Bureau Chief from 2003-2006, Heidi Parker, penned a story for the Daily Mail about her experience working for the ladies man, and had nothing but praise for him. The story centered around her obligation to get Britney Spears on a cover. She says Hef "became obsessed with the idea."

"Hef was dead set on having Spears on the cover in 2004," Parker writes. "Actually, he always wanted her on the cover, from the day she turned 18-years-old. He had a crush on her. He even faxed me a typed memo about it. The memo basically read, 'I want Britney Spears for the cover. Signed, Hef.'"

Parker says she tried to persuade Hef with other A-listers, like Jennifer Tilly and Eva Herzigova, but he was deadset on the princess of pop. Actually, he didn't even know who those other women were. She recalls Hef saying, "'I want Britney for the cover. I don't want anyone else. I want Britney or no one! Get her to do it. It would sell like crazy.'"

Parker admits manager Larry Rudolph said at the time it was "a possibility," but she never believed him. She tried to persuade him with P!nk and has a story about them meeting at the mansion.

'Sounds good darling,' she remembers Hef saying. 'But don't forget Britney!'

Read the entire story here.

Hef had very great taste. And that cover could have been iconic.

Thoughts on Hef's unwavering passion to get Britney on the cover? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One may think whatever we want about him, the magazine and stuff, but I think I'll take the "most positive" out of this story, and it's the fact that an old man, whatever he was or whatever he did, ignore who people like Pink or Ashanti were, but was totally conscious of Britney Spears, and he was even obsessed with her, for whatever reason.

Even if he just wanted Britney on the cover because he knew she was gonna be his best business, and not precisely because he owned her albums, the undeniable truth is that even older men like him knew her. It might not be the most flattering thing or the best compliment for a woman like Britney that Hugh Hefner was obsessed with her, but that shows us how big she was. So when people make threads in here asking if Britney was once "as famous as Taylor Swift currently is" ( 2qk6mgi.jpg ) I just wish they could understand the size of her stardom and popularity back then. It's really hard because now we don't have many things to measure how popular she was back then, like how many people listened to her songs on the radio or watched her videos on MTV, or how many actual, literal followers she had prior to the social media we have now, but I know her popularity had no boundaries, she was liked in many countries, in many cultures, by all ages, all genders and orientations, of course there were haters as it was natural, but her popularity was humongous.

2 hours ago, popprison said:

Lol I'm glad she didn't. But it's not a big deal because people are much less clothed on their Instagram these days so..

she kinda did get nude for her mv like toxic and the cover of rolling stone though which it pretty much the same thing

4a457820-e838-0132-c03b-0a13eebe068d.jpg

2 hours ago, Itachi said:

umm the article says that they wanted her but really willing to pay as much as she wanted

but idk if this article is correct because access hollywood says they didn't offer her to pose then but would love to have her when she gets her life in control and better

http://www.accesshollywood.com/articles/was-britney-spears-rejected-by-playboy-61214/

• Super Mods

Well Britney said she would never do playboy but it's ironic that she did nearly naked shoots for other magazines. I guess she just didn't want to be associated with the brand and be seen that way. Although if she were to do it, I only trust Herb Ritts to do it and not make her look slutty. 

47 minutes ago, BritintheZone said:

she kinda did get nude for her mv like toxic and the cover of rolling stone though which it pretty much the same thing

4a457820-e838-0132-c03b-0a13eebe068d.jpg

umm the article says that they wanted her but really willing to pay as much as she wanted

but idk if this article is correct because access hollywood says they didn't offer her to pose then but would love to have her when she gets her life in control and better

http://www.accesshollywood.com/articles/was-britney-spears-rejected-by-playboy-61214/

Exactly. Thing is, at the time of her prime people would have taken her even more less seriously than they were if she did pose for Playboy. Today an artist can pose for Playboy and no one will say much about their credibility as an artist. 

14 minutes ago, popprison said:

Exactly. Thing is, at the time of her prime people would have taken her even more less seriously than they were if she did pose for Playboy. Today an artist can pose for Playboy and no one will say much about their credibility as an artist. 

The thing is the playboy brand is different these days. The magazine isn't what it used to be. Tinashe did playboy and she didn't have to take off a piece of clothing.

Archived