Does she need a better label or does it not matter?

sarahbbyy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DoSomething954 said:

This. It hasn't worked in awhile and that image is getting old. No one cares how good she looks or how **** her songs are. And despite popular opinion, I believe original MM video wouldn't have saved this era because her **** image is played. She has no exciting angle anymore. She's the pop star who doesn't sing and doesn't dance and mostly has ppl think she's still crazy. They need to reinvent her. and I think it could be the label, as they normally bring in the Creative teams. But RCA has a lot of successful artists who are doing great. So it seems maybe Britney just doesn't want to grow as an artist. Because she could be doing so much more. Like someone said why not do IG stories of your favorite songs, inspiration behind songs, etc.

Well, if she kept up with her mainstream image like her peers, her **** image would not matter as much. Lots of them have the same image as in the past but because Britney has lost interest, now we have to gain it from the younger fans. Yes, those fans would not care for her **** image that much and that is the bigger issue. 

I don't agree that the old Make Me video would not have saved this era. I think it would have given her some publicity, given that it's been a long time since she has done a video that raunchy. It would have been negative attention but still attention nonetheless. That is all she truly needed, really. Remember what happened with Wrecking Ball or even We Can't Stop?

Britney has never been super articulate. Fans act like she just recently became this way when talking about her music but she has never been an artist's artist. She likes the music to speak for itself. I don't necessarily mind that as much if we just got other decent stuff from her. I am not saying RCA is the major problem but I do think she is surrounded by people she has spent all of her career with who have always told her no, so it's like she does not want to please them.

They have scrapped her ideas for many each album or force sounds and producers down her throat. I am saying she does not have as much freedom to do exactly what she wants out of her music or at least used to. It's not like she actively chose RCA. It was just easier. If she felt she had a choice, a new label might help. 

On 9/14/2017 at 0:37 AM, Spearsfan said:

I think she is actually the most free career wise as she almost ever been. 

Which is why she doesn't do anything and isn't driven.

My receipts...Andre. He said she wanted to be lazy but he pushed her and Circus video is her last almost prime choreo and delivery we got. 

Yes, but you remember For The Record and how depressed she was? That's not lacking ambition. That is someone who does not care. Now, she is in the habit of acting like that with even projects she cares for. 

1 minute ago, sarahbbyy said:

Yes, but you remember For The Record and how depressed she was? That's not lacking ambition. That is someone who does not care. Now, she is in the habit of acting like that with even projects she cares for. 

She cared more during that era than all of these last five years almost. 

47 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

Well, if she kept up with her mainstream image like her peers, her **** image would not matter as much. Lots of them have the same image as in the past but because Britney has lost interest, now we have to gain it from the younger fans. Yes, those fans would not care for her **** image that much and that is the bigger issue. 

I don't agree that the old Make Me video would not have saved this era. I think it would have given her some publicity, given that it's been a long time since she has done a video that raunchy. It would have been negative attention but still attention nonetheless. That is all she truly needed, really. Remember what happened with Wrecking Ball or even We Can't Stop?

Britney has never been super articulate. Fans act like she just recently became this way when talking about her music but she has never been an artist's artist. She likes the music to speak for itself. I don't necessarily mind that as much if we just got other decent stuff from her. I am not saying RCA is the major problem but I do think she is surrounded by people she has spent all of her career with who have always told her no, so it's like she does not want to please them.

They have scrapped her ideas for many each album or force sounds and producers down her throat. I am saying she does not have as much freedom to do exactly what she wants out of her music or at least used to. It's not like she actively chose RCA. It was just easier. If she felt she had a choice, a new label might help. 

I don't think you can compare Wrecking Ball or We Can't Stop to how a Britney video would do. That album was Miley's first major departure from the Disney image, in a bigger way than Can't be tamed. She was singing about Molly and alcohol and being naked on a wrecking ball. It was risqué and unexpected from her. Naturally, the songs/videos exploded. There is nothing new about yet another **** Britney Spears video. I know we want to think it's controversial but it's not anymore. She's done it, it's been done, many times. Look at how badly SP performed. And that was a **** video that should have made headlines. Or even look at JLo, her videos are super **** and still no one cares. Her music does horribly these days. Despite how amazing she looks and dances. The videos I hear getting talked about a lot are the ones with a story, those MJ type production videos that make u feel like you're watching a movie. 

I also don't believe Britney is miserable and is being held against her will to record music. She worked with new producers for Glory, she experimented. I'm sure her label could have gone another route and called in a mega producer to ensure a hit but they didn't and she got to work with ppl she really seemed to like at least from her studio selfies she shared. And she seemed proud of the work she did and excited. The issue is that excitement started to fade once Glory was released.

And no, she has never been super articulate, but we used to hear more out of her than "it's cool, so faded." She used to actually have something to say about her work. Or why she thought fans would like it. She doesn't anymore. We get answers now like "oh it's just a song" And it's so easy to just upload a quick note on instagram and say something like "flashback Friday: who is listening to Glory today? My favorite cut is ____. I loved recording MOTM because it reminded me of ____" or something, anything. Ppl make excuses for her when the truth is she'd rather be on Instagram twirling in dresses on imaginary runways than finding creative ways to talk about her art, like a real performer. 

The label isn't the major problem imo. She seems to love social media so why isn't she using it to talk to her fans, get some promotion that way? Clearly uploading random fitness videos and looking a mess on instagram isn't approved by her label or team beforehand but she does that anyway so why not just talk about her music also? That's not the label. Because when I look at Pink or JT or Sia or even Miley, their promo is good, their imagery is good, social media is good. So of the major ppl at the moment, they are only out to "get" the princess of pop? That angle doesn't make sense to me. Why would they want to keep losing money during these eras? They wouldn't. It has to be more than the label imo.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:30 PM, Spearsfan said:

She cared more during that era than all of these last five years almost. 

Well, it took along time to build up to who she is now but I am talking about the album as a whole. Circus was supposed to be something completely different before it became a commercial pop comeback. 

Now, she is more passionate about the actual project but is even worse with her execution. 

She also does not have a team full of people anticipating it. The Circus era only worked out well because everyone else had energy and forced her to care. Now, no one cares all that much. You either need effort from one side (her or her team) or we will never get a good era again. 

On 9/15/2017 at 3:48 PM, DoSomething954 said:

I don't think you can compare Wrecking Ball or We Can't Stop to how a Britney video would do. That album was Miley's first major departure from the Disney image, in a bigger way than Can't be tamed. She was singing about Molly and alcohol and being naked on a wrecking ball. It was risqué and unexpected from her. Naturally, the songs/videos exploded. There is nothing new about yet another **** Britney Spears video. I know we want to think it's controversial but it's not anymore. She's done it, it's been done, many times. Look at how badly SP performed. And that was a **** video that should have made headlines. Or even look at JLo, her videos are super **** and still no one cares. Her music does horribly these days. Despite how amazing she looks and dances. The videos I hear getting talked about a lot are the ones with a story, those MJ type production videos that make u feel like you're watching a movie. 

I also don't believe Britney is miserable and is being held against her will to record music. She worked with new producers for Glory, she experimented. I'm sure her label could have gone another route and called in a mega producer to ensure a hit but they didn't and she got to work with ppl she really seemed to like at least from her studio selfies she shared. And she seemed proud of the work she did and excited. The issue is that excitement started to fade once Glory was released.

And no, she has never been super articulate, but we used to hear more out of her than "it's cool, so faded." She used to actually have something to say about her work. Or why she thought fans would like it. She doesn't anymore. We get answers now like "oh it's just a song" And it's so easy to just upload a quick note on instagram and say something like "flashback Friday: who is listening to Glory today? My favorite cut is ____. I loved recording MOTM because it reminded me of ____" or something, anything. Ppl make excuses for her when the truth is she'd rather be on Instagram twirling in dresses on imaginary runways than finding creative ways to talk about her art, like a real performer. 

The label isn't the major problem imo. She seems to love social media so why isn't she using it to talk to her fans, get some promotion that way? Clearly uploading random fitness videos and looking a mess on instagram isn't approved by her label or team beforehand but she does that anyway so why not just talk about her music also? That's not the label. Because when I look at Pink or JT or Sia or even Miley, their promo is good, their imagery is good, social media is good. So of the major ppl at the moment, they are only out to "get" the princess of pop? That angle doesn't make sense to me. Why would they want to keep losing money during these eras? They wouldn't. It has to be more than the label imo.

I don't think the original Make Me video was controversial but I think the fact that it was so overtly raunchy would have made people want to criticize her or analyze the context  of it or something(because it looked very confusing) and that would have given her more attention. I am not just talking about it being ****.

Of course, the Slumber Party video did not get much attention because I am not talking about making a typical **** video. Before she released the Make Me version we got, we already had tons of videos that looked exactly like SP. Nothing about it stood out. It was very ordinary, albeit nicely done. SP was no more clever than her Work ***** video.

I am saying she needed something that would make people turn heads in a weird way, like that Fergie video that added all those famous women. 

I never said her label is preventing her to be successful. In fact, I think they would have pushed her to be more successful but they have given up because they know nothing good is coming out of it. You can tell her Dad does not put as much restraints in her anymore since she always seems to be free doing whatever she wants. That still does not mean she does not have problems with them after years of "emotional abuse".

I know she herself is making the choice but I am also saying it is because she resents those people, which is why I suggested a new label and team so she is with a group of people who will work with what she wants and not the other way around. It will also be people she has no emotional baggage with.

We know better than her starting her own label and handling all the stuff herself like some others suggested many times on Exhale will never happen because she would never put in that much effort. That's why if she had all of these other people doing the work, then it will be beneficial. It just has to ba different environment and that is it.

49 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

Well, it took along time to build up to who she is now but I am talking about the album as a whole. Circus was supposed to be something completely different before it became a commercial pop comeback. 

Now, she is more passionate about the actual project but is even worse with her execution. 

She also does not have a team full of people anticipating it. The Circus era only worked out well because everyone else had energy and forced her to care. Now, no one cares all that much. You either need effort from one side (her or her team) or we will never get a good era again. 

Circus was what it was supposed to be. 

I don't see any passion from her. She mentioned Glory maybe twice.,,that is not passion. Ppl just want to believe Glory was a change but it really wasn't.

I agree someone needs to at least be honest with her. She her some bad reviews. 

28 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

I don't think the original Make Me video was controversial but I think the fact that it was so overtly raunchy would have made people want to criticize her or analyze the context  of it or something(because it looked very confusing) and that would have given her more attention. I am not just talking about it being ****.

Of course, the Slumber Party video did not get much attention because I am not talking about making a typical **** video. Before she released the Make Me version we got, we already had tons of videos that looked exactly like SP. Nothing about it stood out. It was very ordinary, albeit nicely done. SP was no more clever than her Work ***** video.

I am saying she needed something that would make people turn heads in a weird way, like that Fergie video that added all those famous women. 

I never said her label is preventing her to be successful. In fact, I think they would have pushed her to be more successful but they have given up because they know nothing good is coming out of it. You can tell her Dad does not put as much restraints in her anymore since she always seems to be free doing whatever she wants. That still does not mean she does not have problems with them after years of "emotional abuse".

I know she herself is making the choice but I am also saying it is because she resents those people, which is why I suggested a new label and team so she is with a group of people who will work with what she wants and not the other way around. It will also be people she has no emotional baggage with.

We know better than her starting her own label and handling all the stuff herself like some others suggested many times on Exhale will never happen because she would never put in that much effort. That's why if she had all of these other people doing the work, then it will be beneficial. It just has to ba different environment and that is it.

That Fergie video did nothing for that song though. That's my point. It got headlines about Kim K and Chrissy and Ciara being in it, yes, and that's it. It was #34 on billboard and nonexistent on radio. And she's still flopping despite even more in your face videos. So how much did that video help her? Make Me did way better than that even with its reshot video. No one cares about controversial raunchy videos when everything has been seen and done. They get headlines for a few days and nothing translates to sales like it used to is my point. 

And I think ppl should understand how the c-ship works. Her dad isn't employed by the label. He can't call shots at her label. He controls her personal affairs and making sure her money is in order. He can't tell her who to work with or when to promote or any of that.  He can however make sure whoever she works with isn't doing ***** or under influences when they are together. Things like that. So her working with a new label won't change the job her dad still has to do. All labels are still going to tell artists what songs they think will work, tell them what direction they think is best, etc because it's their money. A new label will not get rid of any of those problems.

1 minute ago, Spearsfan said:

Circus was what it was supposed to be. 

I don't see any passion from her. She mentioned Glory maybe twice.,,that is not passion. Ppl just want to believe Glory was a change but it really wasn't.

I agree someone needs to at least be honest with her. She her some bad reviews. 

"Spears said she's written more for this album than any other in her career and that she spends time at the piano in her living room every day, working on songs. "This is my best work ever," she said of the album's message."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1592705/britney-spears-says-new-album-is-her-best-work-ever-describes-shock-of-jamie-lynns-pregnancy/

This interview was during the making of that album. it seems like Femme Fatale, they changed the entire album to fit what they wanted. 

I actually she think she does love Glory more than her other albums but she got over it once it was released.

7 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

That Fergie video did nothing for that song though. That's my point. It got headlines about Kim K and Chrissy and Ciara being in it, yes, and that's it. It was #34 on billboard and nonexistent on radio. And she's still flopping despite even more in your face videos. So how much did that video help her? Make Me did way better than that even with its reshot video. No one cares about controversial raunchy videos when everything has been seen and done. They get headlines for a few days and nothing translates to sales like it used to is my point. 

And I think ppl should understand how the c-ship works. Her dad isn't employed by the label. He can't call shots at her label. He controls her personal affairs and making sure her money is in order. He can't tell her who to work with or when to promote or any of that.  He can however make sure whoever she works with isn't doing ***** or under influences when they are together. Things like that. So her working with a new label won't change the job her dad still has to do. All labels are still going to tell artists what songs they think will work, tell them what direction they think is best, etc because it's their money. A new label will not get rid of any of those problems.

I went to see IT and they kept promoting the Fergie movie and her visual album LOL who would go see it? She never should've taken that long of a break. Back on topic the original Make me video probably would've brought up the Britney is being forced to be ****** stories again and how she has no agency. It would've helped with the charting at least initially but if everything else stayed the same then we would have the same results. Maybe closer to top 10 peak but that's it. 

4 hours ago, DoSomething954 said:

I think you misunderstood my point I was making on her father. I was making a point that her father gives her more freedom in her personal life and does not seem to give the same "curfews" and whatever he always did. Even then, she still claims to have daddy issues. Therefore, just because he personally does not have restraints on her, does not mean she still does not resent him.

I was relating her relationship with her father in context of him having control over her life to the people at RCA who have control over her career that have been with her since she started at Jive. I would never make the assumption that her father has any control over a label, owned by a major media conglomerate, because her daughter happens to be signed and he is a conservator. 

:tiffcackle:

When it is an established artist like Britney, there is more freedom given to do the things the artist's wants. When other labels offer her record deals, they are all going to try to win her over. That way it would be easier for her to sign to a label that will meet to her terms and conditions. Even Kelly Clarkson, who is not nearly as big or popular, gets far better treatment at Atlantic than she ever did at RCA. 

If Britney has specific problems with people at RCA(the same people from Jive joined after it folded), then she is probably purposely not doing what they want just to spite them. I am not saying the roles of executives change but when they have a big artist like Britney signing with them, they will do their best to try to please them, unlike a new artist who they can control. 

That was my whole point. I don't think people telling her what to do is the problem. It's the who. It's which people are the ones doing it. 

**** got 196 million videos, so even if Make Me did better as a song, the original video could have boosted it way more. I don't think Fergie's song was meant to sell all that much. Plus, she is not as popular as Britney in the first place. People loved the video more than the song. That shows that Make Me was better liked, therefore a video like the original one might have actually saved it after all. 

Archived