"...Baby One More Time" album/era Topic

SonOfSun

859833bb3437dba0930afc826a71f71b.jpg

We're all talking about that 20th anniversary in 2018/2019 of "...Baby One more Time" , but let's talk a little bit about that iconic album and era.

For all the fans that have been there since 1998, we know that was the best time. Internet was just starting, no cellphones, just radio and tv (MTV) were there for artists to promote. She was only 16/17 (!), BOMT was so huge, a superstar was born. I remember when BOMT came out, everybody loved the song, EVERYBODY. She was so interesting and different at the time. Singers with big voices like Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston were very popular, R'n'B was huge, and the girlsband and boysband were starting to take over the charts.

Christian_Storz_1998_white_shirt_C_SM.jp

But Britney she was like a girlsband by herself, she was really dancing naturally, her music was like a combination of Pop/R'n'B. I remember the critics when she first started compared her vocals to Toni Braxton and Mariah Carey. Her dancing was compared to Janet Jackson. Plus, she was doing some acrobatics that nobody was doing at the time. Everybody was like "Wow she can sing, she can dance, and she's pretty" .

And when people discovered her cute personality, a legend was born. She was an inspiration for teenagers.

And we all know that when she started to be more **** and provocative she simply became the most controversial, talk about and famous teen PopStar of all time.

normal_HQ-Pictures_28129~5.jpgnormal_XRAY_Bshoot_049.jpg

I listened to the album the other day, and I really think it's underrated. That was the Britney people loved the most : her best vocals are on that album, it was like a mixture of Pop/R'n'b and ballads, catchy choruses, songs about life and love, and some real instruments. I think she should come-back with something like that but more modern, and mature. There's a reason why the vinyls that came out a few weeks ago were sold-out in a day. It's an iconic album.

I love listen to the album, it really puts you in a good mood. I think that's her most sing-along album. Apart from the singles I really enjoy I Will Be There, I Never Stop Loving You, The Beat Goes On, and Thinking' About You.

She also showed that she was the best performer out there with Madonna, Janet and Michael, and she was only 17. A true phenomenon.

What about you ? What do you remember from that time ? Your favorite songs from the album ?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

BOMT album is so underrated on here. It's mind boggling. 

It's underrated on exhale because a lot of the members weren't even born at that time. A lot of the fans in here started to stan between 2007/2011. But the true fans who were there since the very beginning know that this was a special time and a special album. Her most successful one : 30 000 000 copies sold WW !

37 minutes ago, SonOfSun said:

It's underrated on exhale because a lot of the members weren't even born at that time. A lot of the fans in here started to stan between 2007/2011. But the true fans who were there since the very beginning know that this was a special time and a special album. Her most successful one : 30 000 000 copies sold WW !

I'm pretty sure most of this fanbase is older. In their twenties but some probably can't remember the times.

Eras are a big part of the album which is another reason why certain eras are lived more than others I feel 

Its underrated.

I really love a lot of the album tracks Soda Pop, Beat Goes On, Email my heart and I also really like I Will Still Love You (even after the Don Phillip 2012 X Factor incident), I think it has beautiful vocals and its an album you could sing along too. 

I love From the bottom of my broken heart it delivers her natural registered voice in the mainstream eye and the only time we ever truly get a glimpse of it. BTMYH, Sometimes, BOMT, Crazy are all perfection in their own way as well and just iconic. Its her longest lasting era tbh 1998-2000 and 5 singles. When will your faves debut like this :queenflopga:

I can only remember BOMT the song being played everywhere when I was a kindergarten. And that's the first time I've ever liked a pop singer (because i grew up being exposed to Christian music :saycheese:). Her debut was really huge especially for someone as young as she was, I don't think I've ever witnessed another artist who had the same kind of impact in their debut. Probably the closest one was Avril Lavigne who also started young and started big.

The album, judging by its commercial performance, is not underrated. I just think that over time her fans have outgrown the album (which was a major narrative of her early pop career - growing up), and it was followed by stronger and better albums such that when you scan Britney's discography, it will always be overshadowed by albums such as In the Zone and Blackout. But the title track will always be a classic, nobody can and should deny that.

Archived