Without the breakdown in 2007 Circus and Femme Fatale would have been total flops

G L O R Y

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BritintheZone said:

I kinda agreeΒ :sassybrit:

what people seem to forget is that her popularity was going down and the gp were turning against her

Yes, but without a breakdown it would've been easier for her to take a short break, reinvent herself and keep releasing stuff that was better and better each time. I'm one of the few people that aren't that thrilled about what we have from the "Original Doll" sessions, but I know she would've eventually gone back to Max Martin or Darkchild or Bloodshy & Avant, or even Timbaland or whoever was popular around those years, to make hits again. If she didn't want to, the record label would've pushed her to do that though.

Like we say in Spanish, el hubiera no existe, so it's pointless to imagine hypothetical scenarios like this one, because there's no way to know for sure.

In any case, this statement about the breakdown should only affect Blackout and Circus. What does the breakdown has to do with FF's success? Under that logic then BJ should've been just as successful, because of the breakdown as well. What I mean is, then when did the breakdown effect disappeared according to the people that think like this? How did it last 4 years, enough to benefit Femme Fatale, but couldn't last a couple of years more to benefit Britney Jean as well?

1 hour ago, Curiousexhaler86 said:

Neither Circus nor Femme Fatale would have ever been created in the first place then, we know Britney wasn't the mastermind behind those projects.Β :mhmsureny:

Also I don't think Mariah Carey is even close to Britney in terms of hits. Like, completely different careers.Β :mattafact:

I was going to say this. She was trying to go in a way different direction. Those albums wouldn't have existed. They needed a pop formula to put Britney back at #1

1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

What kind of delusional statement? As mentioned by @Curiousexhaler86, had she avoided the breakdown that would have meant the ITZ era would have been complete, the Outrageous video out, VMA 2004 performance and sweep for Toxic,Β we probably would have gotten a 5thΒ single (Breathe On Me) and she would have released Original Doll in 2005.

Thus, My Prerogative,Β Blackout, Circus, Femme Fatale, Britney Jean and Glory would not have existed nor would we have the Britney we have now.

And no, she would not have flopped. Her popularity decreased because of K-Fed and the wild party girl antics and slip-ups during her pregnancy in 2006.

After Toxic, Everytime was a global smash and the OHT was going strong.

This. If ppl want to blame guys in her life, it was KFed. That pushed the dumb white trash and home wrecker narrative about her that still lingers today. I think her music would have matured and we wouldn't have gotten any of the albums post 2008. But a whole new sound altogether.

Her sales were declining, but that's normal for artistΒ :mattafact:

Maybe there would be no big comeback without big breakdown but,no, I don't think she would be total flop

Her music would be better for sureΒ :mattafact:

Β 

2 hours ago, Curiousexhaler86 said:

Neither Circus nor Femme Fatale would have ever been created in the first place then, we know Britney wasn't the mastermind behind those projects.Β :mhmsureny:

Also I don't think Mariah Carey is even close to Britney in terms of hits. Like, completely different careers.Β :mattafact:

What ??? Lol. You've got it the wrong way around honey. Mariah is the female artist with most no 1 songs in the u.s ever, and also has the longest running no 1. Β  It's so irritating when people don't do proper researchΒ 

Ok well OD, and as well as every album from Blackout to Glory would not exist. After the ITZ era finished properly (no kevin), then she would continue recording. OD wouldn't be released because something happened with her label; the breakdown didn't affect the release of that album. Her success wouldn't waver, and her music would continue to be successful and her image would remain as the "untouchable **** pop star" because she never would've married Kfed.

Her decline would happen naturally I suppose, I feel like around 2008-2009 when the new wave of pop stars was coming in, I feel like she wouldn't be as successful as she once was.Β 

26 minutes ago, Danishfan said:

What ??? Lol. You've got it the wrong way around honey. Mariah is the female artist with most no 1 songs in the u.s ever, and also has the longest running no 1. Β  It's so irritating when people don't do proper researchΒ 

But she isn't much of a worldwide hit maker, like Britney. Mariah Carey hasn't been a big name in like 15 years, she belongs in the 90s. Maybe she's relevant in the US nowadays (is she tho) but other than that she's basically another Celine Dion or a Cher.Β :mattafact:

This "whataboutism" is truly for the criminally bored, but to answer -- no, I disagree.Β 

Assuming the breakdown was initiated by her injury, she never would have gotten injured. She'd still be dancing her *** off and fighting for artistic integrity -- I actually think she'd be even more of a music icon. She was working towards getting respect -- her breakdown and subsequent performances have diminished her quality as a performance artist for sure.

Β 

In terms of Mariah -- what are you possibly even talking about? All Mariah ever needed was to release a song with full-voiced vocals to get back on top and that's exactly what she did. It just so happens that said comeback got her the biggest selling album of the year, the billboard song of the decade, 2 more #1's ... then the following album with her biggest opening sales week ever and another #1. Don't get it twisted -- pretty much no one on Earth has more hits than Mariah. Leave her alone -- coming for Mariah's success just makes anyone look like a fool once they see the facts.

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, Oops... I did it again said:

With the direction the Original Doll was going, I think Britney's music would have matured. She was eager to showcase her vocals and go in a more authentic direction which is why she rebelled against her label and sneaked into a radio show and played Mona Lisa. The breakdown was a hot mess but it wasn't the reason why she turned into a **** artist. She became crappy in both music and performances because everyone around her tried to control her and ultimately put her in a C-ship. Maybe it was beneficial for her and maybe it wasn't.

And yes, I realize she was on a self-destructive path but honestly, I think she just wanted people to side with her and let her do her own thing. I think if her team back then let her breathe a little and let her grow up on her own and take a different musical direction, she wouldn't have rebelled as much . Instead, the tried to make the pop machine going and tried to force her to keep making hit songs using her baby voice. Anyone who was present during that time knows how she always pushed for certain singles to be released. When she wanted to take a break back in 2002, she was supposed to take a 7 month break or so but instead she kept recording and her 'break only lasted like 2 weeks. She should have gone away and taken at least 1 year off and got everything out of her system like partying and experimenting here and there, but she kept doing stuff for the label because few people thought she'd last long so they were trying to keep around as long as possible. She should have even taken a break during the DWAD tour after she broke up with Justin and after her parents divorced. I know labels are controlling but honestly, I think the breakdown could have been prevented in some way.Β 

As for marrying Jason Alexander, I think this was her being upset at Justin getting with Cameron Diaz which was HUGE at the time. It obviously hurt her how fast he had moved on. After that, they should have hired someone who controlled her finances more strictly. Instead, they made her get back to work and made her start a new tour and swept the entire thingΒ under the rug instead of taking certain measures with her finances. She should have taken a lot of breaksΒ Β between her DWAD tour and ITZ. Anyway, Circus and FF were both ****. Circus should have never happened. FTR alone shows u how miserable britney was at the time. Anyone who thinks it was 'good' for her to go back to work is nuts. Yes, Britney likes working but she's not a machine. That was her problem all along. Everybody made her 'work' because 'it was good for her' when in reality, all she needed was a break to HEAL. To heal from Justin, Kevin and overworking. She should have gone away after being hospitalized in 2008. She could have come back and did a long detailed interview or something and released a proper comeback record to go with it. The public would have appreciated her more. Instead, they just saw misery in her eyes all the time and they felt depressed and sorry just looking at her throughout Circus and FF.Β 

You nailed it perfectly. Before the breakdown, she never took no more than a year to release an album and then it was off to promo and world wide tours so I can understand why she doesn't want to work so much now, it's like making up for those times when she needed it the most. She posted on her website that she was angry that her team (I'm guessing Larry) to tell herΒ to go to rehab and maybe she did need it but I think to me it felt insincere to her like "oh, you just need a reboot and you'll be fine to get back to work again." I think she's a strong willed person and rehab would not do anything, she just needed space to reflect, and like you said just do whatever she likes whether it was experimenting or just enjoying life. I don't think she really got to sit back and enjoy her success and to reflect on the work she has done.

3 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

And no, she would not have flopped. Her popularity decreased because of K-Fed and the wild party girl antics and slip-ups during her pregnancy in 2006.

After Toxic, Everytime was a global smash and the OHT was going strong.

Totally agree with this!

She wouldn't have flopped, it was so obvious the GP turned on her because of K-Fed. Geez we had a whole show cheer/go nuts when they announcedΒ Britney was divorcing K-fed. The love for her was there. I get that her CD sales where declining but everyone else's where's too Β 

Im not denying that the breakdown helped her sell albums, with the whole 'comeback' thingΒ but if there wouldn't have been a breakdown , there wouldn't had been a need to use a 'comeback' trick. If she hadnt met K-Fed the public wouldn't have turned on her.Β Britney would still have been the unapologetic, confident woman she was and would have her unwavering fan base that sadly she has lost to others .Β 

topics like this annoy me ...just thinking about the fact..Β 

what if Britney didn't leave the Pop music play field open, Would the new artist of today like Lady Gaga, Taylor, RhiannaΒ , BeyoncΓ© would be as popular as they are today?

WouldΒ Christina even have herΒ successful Back to Basics Era.Β 

Such a weird statement. How can you even begin to imagine this? The albums wouldn't have even been the same albums or released when they were. If she'd never had the breakdown she'd probably have released another album in like 2006 and she would've still made a Blackout-like album but with the era it deserved.

It's just impossible to say. The trajectory of her career was radically changed by the events of 2004-2007.

5 hours ago, G L O R Y said:

Well, actually that's Britney who is not even close to Mariah in terms of hits because Mariah is the queen of #1sΒ :mattafact:

First of all, there's a world outside the USAΒ :staysalty:

Second of all, Britney was banned from radios that's why her biggest hits like Toxic only charted at #9

Last but not least, KatyΒ Pourri got countless #1's, yet no one remember them... like Mariah'sΒ :staysalty:

Archived