Jump to content

New BreatheHeavy live stream TODAY at 3:30 pm PT

One-click subscribe to our YouTube channel!

Overprotected question


blackout89

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Twitter Team
2 hours ago, blackout89 said:

how many time was between the release of the original and the remix?

The original was released in December 2001 (although charted in most countries in early 2002) and the remix I think was released around March/April 2002.

Link to comment
  • Super Mods

Here in Latin America the original version was huge. Well, not OIDIA huge, but I think it was even bigger than Slave. Up until a few years ago I still used to listen to it on the radio or at the super markets and such :giggleney:

However, we got the Darkchild Remix video too. When I talk about past hits, or actually, any of her singles, I always talk about the videoclips and how popular they were, or how much they were played, because if we talk about actual sales they were probably pretty bad in most cases. MTV was always my standard for popularity, if they were played a lot and if they were always salying the weekly Top 20 or the equivalent for TRL, then they were popular/successful songs. I remember the Darkchild remix did ok, but I Love Rock 'N' Roll was released around the same time, and we had just gotten Not a Girl not long ago, so there were so many videos in that era, that they didn't have enough time to become more popular. I miss those days though, when we would get single after single, year after year.

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Vote at Exhale's Top 20 Week 6 here

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Here in Latin America the original version was huge. Well, not OIDIA huge, but I think it was even bigger than Slave. Up until a few years ago I still used to listen to it on the radio or at the super markets and such :giggleney:

However, we got the Darkchild Remix video too. When I talk about past hits, or actually, any of her singles, I always talk about the videoclips and how popular they were, or how much they were played, because if we talk about actual sales they were probably pretty bad in most cases. MTV was always my standard for popularity, if they were played a lot and if they were always salying the weekly Top 20 or the equivalent for TRL, then they were popular/successful songs. I remember the Darkchild remix did ok, but I Love Rock 'N' Roll was released around the same time, and we had just gotten Not a Girl not long ago, so there were so many videos in that era, that they didn't have enough time to become more popular. I miss those days though, when we would get single after single, year after year.

What were some of Britney's biggest hits over there?

Link to comment
  • Super Mods
46 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

What were some of Britney's biggest hits over there?

Well, I don't have receipts like the charts and so, but I can tell you which videos were the most important ones.

  • BOMT of course was monumental. Crazy was really huge and Sometimes did pretty good as well. BTMYH was barely played in here, and FTBOMBH was just really bad, people weren't here for that. It even made it to one special they did which was the Top 20 worst videos.
  • OIDIA, I think it did even better than BOMT. Every day we got "Los 10 + Pedidos" which was like TRL's equivalent, but at the end of the year we got "Los 100 + Pedidos" which had the best videos of the whole year. Oops landed at #1 in 2000, and not only that, in 2009 they did the Top 100 of the decade, and Oops was #1 as well. :urite: (they snubbed every other video though). Stronger and Lucky were big too. DLMBTLTK, not so much. Stronger appeared in the Top 100 of 2000 I don't remember which position, but it reappeared in 2001 at #1.
  • Slave did ok, but I think it wasn't as popular as Overprotected. Overprotected was definitely the most played of the era, even though it was snubbed at the yearly countdown (they always had issues were big videos got snubbed and random videos would appear at higher positions, but I think they were programming errors). I'd dare to say I Love Rock 'N' Roll was almost at the same level as Slave. Not a Girl, Boys and Darkchild remix were less popular, I think they were at the level of DLMBTLTK or Broken Heart.
  • MATM was definitely not that popular, probably a little bit bigger than Not a Girl etc, but smaller than Lucky for example. Toxic was huge, but again it was strangely snubbed from the 2004 countdown. Everytime I think it was around the level of Slave, I believe even My Prerogative was slightly more popular. Do Somethin' and Someday did ok, but the music scene and the channel itself had changed a lot by the time they came out, so I really can't compare them to what other artists were releasing at the time, because I don't even remember what music was trending there. They did make it to the Top 100 of 2005 at pretty high positions though.
  • GM and POM were heavily played, but they didn't land that high in the yearly countdown. BTI was more played in a Mexican tv channel called Telehit.
  • Womanizer and Circus were huge, I could say Stronger huge. IUSA probably did the same as Lucky. Radar wasn't that played.
  • 3 did ok, but I remember watching it more on VH1, where they would put like an old video and then the latest video from each artist. They would always put Crazy and 3. It did appear both in the yearly countdown of 2009 and 2010 in MTV.
  • HIAM and TTWE were pretty decent, but they weren't played as much as GM or POM, or Womanizer and Circus. IWG though, that was even bigger than Womanizer. They kept playing that video almost on a daily basis even by the time Ooh La La had come out. By 2011, MTV barely played music anymore, and there weren't any countdowns or anything. But VH1 had a Top 20. Criminal slayed that countdown way into 2012, beating videos like Adele's Someone Like You. But I never watched Criminal being played on any other channel outside of VH1.
  • Scream & Shout was huge as well, but not as much as IWG. The Remix was occasionally played, almost like Boys or so. Ooh La La had a lot of airplay too, probably like Lucky.
  • WB was the first video in years that I got to watch on every music tv channel in here, MTV , VH1, Telehit, they even used to play it on Ritmoson which only plays Hispanic music, on a show they had dedicated to EDM music. Yet I don't think it was THAT popular. Perfume was the same situation of Criminal. It slayed VH1's Top 20, but outside of that channel was nowhere to be seen.
  • Pretty Girls was so-so. I did get to watch it several times on MTV, but nothing else.
  • MM I only got to watch it once on MTV, but that's because I barely watch TV anymore. I think SP did a bit better.

I repeat, that's the impression I have, for what I can remember, probably that was only my experience and there were videos that were more popular, but overall, I think I would rank them like this, just with my memories:

  • Oops!... I Did It Again
  • ...Baby One More Time / Toxic
  • I Wanna Go
  • Scream & Shout / Stronger / Womanizer
  • Crazy / Circus / Work ***** / Overprotected
  • Lucky / If U Seek Amy / Ooh La La
  • Gimme More / Piece of Me / 3 / Till the World Ends
  • Sometimes / Everytime / My Prerogative / Criminal / Perfume
  • I'm a Slave 4 U / I Love Rock 'N' Roll / Do Somethin' / Hold It Against Me
  • Darkchild Remix / Me Against the Music / Someday / Break the Ice / Pretty Girls
  • Slumber Party
  • Boys / Radar / S&S Remix
  • I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman / From the Bottom of My Broken Heart / Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know / Make Me...
  • Born to Make You Happy

I might be totally wrong in my perception, but that's what I recall, living in Mexico, so I'm sure it's not the same for other Latin countries. Even the MTV countdowns used to be 3 with totally different rankings for North America, Central America and South America. I believe for example, Broken Heart did better in southern countries, so it varies a lot in every region.

I have to say, I put Slave that low, but I'm talking only about the time it was released. Over the years it's gotten this classic status, and from her older videos is the one I get to see the most nowadays when they play classic videos and such. Even more than BOMT or Oops, but at the time I remember it wasn't that popular. As soon as Overprotected came out, they basically stopped playing it.

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Vote at Exhale's Top 20 Week 6 here

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, I don't have receipts like the charts and so, but I can tell you which videos were the most important ones.

  • BOMT of course was monumental. Crazy was really huge and Sometimes did pretty good as well. BTMYH was barely played in here, and FTBOMBH was just really bad, people weren't here for that. It even made it to one special they did which was the Top 20 worst videos.
  • OIDIA, I think it did even better than BOMT. Every day we got "Los 10 + Pedidos" which was like TRL's equivalent, but at the end of the year we got "Los 100 + Pedidos" which had the best videos of the whole year. Oops landed at #1 in 2000, and not only that, in 2009 they did the Top 100 of the decade, and Oops was #1 as well. :urite: (they snubbed every other video though). Stronger and Lucky were big too. DLMBTLTK, not so much. Stronger appeared in the Top 100 of 2000 I don't remember which position, but it reappeared in 2001 at #1.
  • Slave did ok, but I think it wasn't as popular as Overprotected. Overprotected was definitely the most played of the era, even though it was snubbed at the yearly countdown (they always had issues were big videos got snubbed and random videos would appear at higher positions, but I think they were programming errors). I'd dare to say I Love Rock 'N' Roll was almost at the same level as Slave. Not a Girl, Boys and Darkchild remix were less popular, I think they were at the level of DLMBTLTK or Broken Heart.
  • MATM was definitely not that popular, probably a little bit bigger than Not a Girl etc, but smaller than Lucky for example. Toxic was huge, but again it was strangely snubbed from the 2004 countdown. Everytime I think it was around the level of Slave, I believe even My Prerogative was slightly more popular. Do Somethin' and Someday did ok, but the music scene and the channel itself had changed a lot by the time they came out, so I really can't compare them to what other artists were releasing at the time, because I don't even remember what music was trending there. They did make it to the Top 100 of 2005 at pretty high positions though.
  • GM and POM were heavily played, but they didn't land that high in the yearly countdown. BTI was more played in a Mexican tv channel called Telehit.
  • Womanizer and Circus were huge, I could say Stronger huge. IUSA probably did the same as Lucky. Radar wasn't that played.
  • 3 did ok, but I remember watching it more on VH1, where they would put like an old video and then the latest video from each artist. They would always put Crazy and 3. It did appear both in the yearly countdown of 2009 and 2010 in MTV.
  • HIAM and TTWE were pretty decent, but they weren't played as much as GM or POM, or Womanizer and Circus. IWG though, that was even bigger than Womanizer. They kept playing that video almost on a daily basis even by the time Ooh La La had come out. By 2011, MTV barely played music anymore, and there weren't any countdowns or anything. But VH1 had a Top 20. Criminal slayed that countdown way into 2012, beating videos like Adele's Someone Like You. But I never watched Criminal being played on any other channel outside of VH1.
  • Scream & Shout was huge as well, but not as much as IWG. The Remix was occasionally played, almost like Boys or so. Ooh La La had a lot of airplay too, probably like Lucky.
  • WB was the first video in years that I got to watch on every music tv channel in here, MTV , VH1, Telehit, they even used to play it on Ritmoson which only plays Hispanic music, on a song they had dedicated to EDM music. Yet I don't think it was THAT popular. Perfume was the same situation of Criminal. It slayed VH1's Top 20, but outside of that channel was nowhere to be seen.
  • Pretty Girls was so-so. I did get to watch it several times on MTV, but nothing else.
  • MM I only got to watch it once on MTV, but that's because I barely watch TV anymore. I think SP did a bit better.

I repeat, that's the impression I have, for what I can remember, probably that was only my experience and there were videos that were more popular, but overall, I think I would rank them like this, just with my memories:

  • Oops!... I Did It Again
  • ...Baby One More Time / Toxic
  • I Wanna Go
  • Scream & Shout / Stronger / Womanizer
  • Crazy / Circus / Work ***** / Overprotected
  • Lucky / If U Seek Amy / Ooh La La
  • Gimme More / Piece of Me / 3 / Till the World Ends
  • Sometimes / Everytime / My Prerogative / Criminal / Perfume
  • I'm a Slave 4 U / I Love Rock 'N' Roll / Do Somethin' / Hold It Against Me
  • Darkchild Remix / Me Against the Music / Someday / Break the Ice / Pretty Girls
  • Slumber Party
  • Boys / Radar / S&S Remix
  • I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman / From the Bottom of My Broken Heart / Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know / Make Me...
  • Born to Make You Happy

I might be totally wrong in my perception, but that's what I recall, living in Mexico, so I'm sure it's not the same for other Latin countries. Even the MTV countdowns used to be 3 with totally different rankings for North America, Central America and South America. I believe for example, Broken Heart did better in southern countries, so it varies a lot in every region.

I have to say, I put Slave that low, but I'm talking only about the time it was released. Over the years it's gotten this classic status, and from her older videos is the one I get to see the most nowadays when they play classic videos and such. Even more than BOMT or Oops, but at the time I remember it wasn't that popular. As soon as Overprotected came out, they basically stopped playing it.

Someday did okay over there :omgreallyney: happy to see that the masterpiece got some recognition :urite: 

Link to comment
  • Super Mods
2 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

Someday did okay over there :omgreallyney: happy to see that the masterpiece got some recognition :urite: 

:mhm: checking Wikipedia I see it landed at #10 that year, and Do Somethin' only #35. I do remember Do Somethin' being more played though. As I tell you, there were always some irregularities as to how they decided the position of each video, because it wasn't totally loyal to the daily Top 10's we got throughout the entire year.

Since they barely played music videos segments anymore, I remember videos like Someday or My Prerogative would only be played between shows.

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Vote at Exhale's Top 20 Week 6 here

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, I don't have receipts like the charts and so, but I can tell you which videos were the most important ones.

  • BOMT of course was monumental. Crazy was really huge and Sometimes did pretty good as well. BTMYH was barely played in here, and FTBOMBH was just really bad, people weren't here for that. It even made it to one special they did which was the Top 20 worst videos.
  • OIDIA, I think it did even better than BOMT. Every day we got "Los 10 + Pedidos" which was like TRL's equivalent, but at the end of the year we got "Los 100 + Pedidos" which had the best videos of the whole year. Oops landed at #1 in 2000, and not only that, in 2009 they did the Top 100 of the decade, and Oops was #1 as well. :urite: (they snubbed every other video though). Stronger and Lucky were big too. DLMBTLTK, not so much. Stronger appeared in the Top 100 of 2000 I don't remember which position, but it reappeared in 2001 at #1.
  • Slave did ok, but I think it wasn't as popular as Overprotected. Overprotected was definitely the most played of the era, even though it was snubbed at the yearly countdown (they always had issues were big videos got snubbed and random videos would appear at higher positions, but I think they were programming errors). I'd dare to say I Love Rock 'N' Roll was almost at the same level as Slave. Not a Girl, Boys and Darkchild remix were less popular, I think they were at the level of DLMBTLTK or Broken Heart.
  • MATM was definitely not that popular, probably a little bit bigger than Not a Girl etc, but smaller than Lucky for example. Toxic was huge, but again it was strangely snubbed from the 2004 countdown. Everytime I think it was around the level of Slave, I believe even My Prerogative was slightly more popular. Do Somethin' and Someday did ok, but the music scene and the channel itself had changed a lot by the time they came out, so I really can't compare them to what other artists were releasing at the time, because I don't even remember what music was trending there. They did make it to the Top 100 of 2005 at pretty high positions though.
  • GM and POM were heavily played, but they didn't land that high in the yearly countdown. BTI was more played in a Mexican tv channel called Telehit.
  • Womanizer and Circus were huge, I could say Stronger huge. IUSA probably did the same as Lucky. Radar wasn't that played.
  • 3 did ok, but I remember watching it more on VH1, where they would put like an old video and then the latest video from each artist. They would always put Crazy and 3. It did appear both in the yearly countdown of 2009 and 2010 in MTV.
  • HIAM and TTWE were pretty decent, but they weren't played as much as GM or POM, or Womanizer and Circus. IWG though, that was even bigger than Womanizer. They kept playing that video almost on a daily basis even by the time Ooh La La had come out. By 2011, MTV barely played music anymore, and there weren't any countdowns or anything. But VH1 had a Top 20. Criminal slayed that countdown way into 2012, beating videos like Adele's Someone Like You. But I never watched Criminal being played on any other channel outside of VH1.
  • Scream & Shout was huge as well, but not as much as IWG. The Remix was occasionally played, almost like Boys or so. Ooh La La had a lot of airplay too, probably like Lucky.
  • WB was the first video in years that I got to watch on every music tv channel in here, MTV , VH1, Telehit, they even used to play it on Ritmoson which only plays Hispanic music, on a show they had dedicated to EDM music. Yet I don't think it was THAT popular. Perfume was the same situation of Criminal. It slayed VH1's Top 20, but outside of that channel was nowhere to be seen.
  • Pretty Girls was so-so. I did get to watch it several times on MTV, but nothing else.
  • MM I only got to watch it once on MTV, but that's because I barely watch TV anymore. I think SP did a bit better.

I repeat, that's the impression I have, for what I can remember, probably that was only my experience and there were videos that were more popular, but overall, I think I would rank them like this, just with my memories:

  • Oops!... I Did It Again
  • ...Baby One More Time / Toxic
  • I Wanna Go
  • Scream & Shout / Stronger / Womanizer
  • Crazy / Circus / Work ***** / Overprotected
  • Lucky / If U Seek Amy / Ooh La La
  • Gimme More / Piece of Me / 3 / Till the World Ends
  • Sometimes / Everytime / My Prerogative / Criminal / Perfume
  • I'm a Slave 4 U / I Love Rock 'N' Roll / Do Somethin' / Hold It Against Me
  • Darkchild Remix / Me Against the Music / Someday / Break the Ice / Pretty Girls
  • Slumber Party
  • Boys / Radar / S&S Remix
  • I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman / From the Bottom of My Broken Heart / Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know / Make Me...
  • Born to Make You Happy

I might be totally wrong in my perception, but that's what I recall, living in Mexico, so I'm sure it's not the same for other Latin countries. Even the MTV countdowns used to be 3 with totally different rankings for North America, Central America and South America. I believe for example, Broken Heart did better in southern countries, so it varies a lot in every region.

I have to say, I put Slave that low, but I'm talking only about the time it was released. Over the years it's gotten this classic status, and from her older videos is the one I get to see the most nowadays when they play classic videos and such. Even more than BOMT or Oops, but at the time I remember it wasn't that popular. As soon as Overprotected came out, they basically stopped playing it.

Ima Slave 4 U is mt favorite song :nydisgust: deserve to be number 1 everywhere. Cant believe the vma performance and video didnt help the song much but also there was radio ban well at least in the us

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

:mhm: checking Wikipedia I see it landed at #10 that year, and Do Somethin' only #35. I do remember Do Somethin' being more played though. As I tell you, there were always some irregularities as to how they decided the position of each video, because it wasn't totally loyal to the daily Top 10's we got throughout the entire year.

Since they barely played music videos segments anymore, I remember videos like Someday or My Prerogative would only be played between shows.

On Wikipedia it doesn't have the chart position for Someday (I Will Understand) in Mexico :idkney: how do you know it went to #10?

Link to comment
  • Super Mods
2 minutes ago, BritintheZone said:

Ima Slave 4 U is mt favorite song :nydisgust: deserve to be number 1 everywhere. Cant believe the vma performance and video didnt help the song much but also there was radio ban well at least in the us

But I think over the years it has aged very well and started to be recognized as the classic it is, so I don't think we should feel bad for it. :soyeah:

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Vote at Exhale's Top 20 Week 6 here

Link to comment
  • Super Mods
Just now, ShowdownITZ said:

On Wikipedia it doesn't have the chart position for Someday (I Will Understand) in Mexico :idkney: how do you know it went to #10?

MTV Norte was basically Mexico :giggleney: It varied a lot, because there were years when they separated North, Center and South, but this year for example only got North and South, so North included Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and I don't know if other countries from Central America. They broadcasted different yearly countdowns, even though I believe the rest of the year they had the same shows both channels or signals or broadcastings or I don't know how I could call it.

Únete a Exhale Latino   ///   Vote at Exhale's Top 20 Week 6 here

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block