Fans mistake Britney's lip syncing for lack of passion for singing... or do they?

sarahbbyy

I feel like people think that Britney is more passionate about dancing and that is her excuse for lip syncing. I don't know if it a 100% true that all fans think that, so I just want to know if you guys think that is the reason.

I have studied psychology and human behavior since my teen years. I think Britney not singing live actually has nothing to do with dancing and/or a lack of passion for singing. I truly believe that it is one of her greatest loves but if you don't have extensive knowledge of vocals, then it is hard to explain to you why Britney has a hard time singing live.

I will make a video one of these days trying to explain it because it is too long and people will get confused from a written post or they might just not want to read a lengthy paragraph about it. 

To make it brief, her problem is not breath control while dancing because if Selena Gomez can do it with her very whispery voice, then Britney can do it since her voice is much louder and stronger. People also make comments about how Selena can't dance like Britney anyway but just because both have different skill, that does not mean that they are both not moving their body the same intensity. She could be moving as much Britney without even executing excellent moves or dancing proficiently. 

It's both a combination of low self esteem given to her signed to a label, them giving signs to a 15 year old girl at the time that she is not too great of a singer and that she needs to change her voice, and the fact that a songwriter by the name of Eric Foster White is the one who taught her to sing in a baby voice, giving her a very improper technique that makes her voice sound very shaky.

Britney has no excuses because she is an adult but being passionate about singing and music in general, she probably cares more about emotion than technicality. She probably does not understand her voice, so therefore has a hard time changing it. I do think she loves it a lot. She just needs to suck it up and just embrace her flaws and try to work with them. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's just a mix of her awareness that she doesn't have a great singing voice and that she doesn't want to ruin the show with her bad and shaky vocals because of her dancing. In my opinion she should at least sing  ballads live and prerecord vocals for the rest of the show.

2 minutes ago, AndrejBLV said:

I think it's just a mix of her awareness that she doesn't have a great singing voice and that she doesn't want to ruin the show with her bad and shaky vocals because of her dancing. In my opinion she should at least sing  ballads live and prerecord vocals for the rest of the show.

Yeah but Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez and many more singers have worse voices than she does and yet they still sing live. She still sounds better than they do. I think she is more insecure because if that was her excuse, then why would she not sing during ballads either? 

• Super Mods

That's exactly what she said on the Diane Sawyer interview when that ***** ask her if she likes her voice and Britney said that she thinks her voice is okay but loves the emotional state she's in when she's performing so she really feels the music and I feel that's how she goes by when picking songs which is why dancing co es naturally to her. She goes by vibes which is probably why she cares more about production than technique whichaprofessional singer would worry about. 

I think initially it was because she had difficulty controlling her voice while dancing and her/Jive/her team probably didn't want to waste time getting lessons and proper training that can take months or years when BOMT is sizzling and they want to meet the demand so they pull a quick fix (they all probably thought this teen pop phase was gonna phase out fast, so why bother?) and then it just became a norm. 

I also think it's because she has a hard time remembering the dance moves and also remembering to sing and instead of an awkward pause or mumble, she can focus on at least the dancing and it will still look smooth and less noticeable. 

11 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

Yeah but Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez and many more singers have worse voices than she does and yet they still sing live. She still sounds better than they do. I think she is more insecure because if that was her excuse, then why would she not sing during ballads either? 

Britney can sing live, that's not the problem but she would sound like Rihanna. Shaky vocals, trying to breath and yelling here and there(it's awful), so I think Brit is perfectionist and she's looking at big picture. She wants her show to be 'perfect', and I agree with that. It is way better to lip syinc then yell around, but she should prerecord vocals and sing live ballads so the show will gain on quality.

I think she doesn't want to sing, or doesn't care. The 'she cant use her real voice' is not an excuse anymore, because she could have left her record label many years ago and make her own music. She has a deep soulful voice and she can improve it. If singing is really a passion she would have done that. If she's really THAT insecure and it makes her stop singing, she shouldn't have become a singer in the first place.

29 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

@AndrejBLV, what about Madonna? She has no problem performing full sets live (or mostly live).

In some moments Madonna also does not sound good, and my post I wrote about how Britney is looking big picture so the show would be 'perfect'.

But also let's be real, Madonna is an artist with impeccable work ethic and Britney is not.

3 hours ago, AndrejBLV said:

Britney can sing live, that's not the problem but she would sound like Rihanna. Shaky vocals, trying to breath and yelling here and there(it's awful), so I think Brit is perfectionist and she's looking at big picture. She wants her show to be 'perfect', and I agree with that. It is way better to lip syinc then yell around, but she should prerecord vocals and sing live ballads so the show will gain on quality.

But the difference is Rihanna has gotten a lot better since her debut and u can tell she's worked on her vocals. No one expects perfect, they just want a singer to sing. Britney's stta wasn't perfect but everyone is so proud and excited and talking about how good it is because she actually did it. Idk what her excuse is but her being delusional and saying she always sings live is super confusing/annoying/a bit rude to her fans when she knows for a fact she doesn't. And nothing about any of her shows in the past 10 years says perfectionist, especially POM which is the epitome of sloppy. So I doubt she's not singing because she's super professional. 

27 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

But the difference is Rihanna has gotten a lot better since her debut and u can tell she's worked on her vocals. No one expects perfect, they just want a singer to sing. Britney's stta wasn't perfect but everyone is so proud and excited and talking about how good it is because she actually did it. Idk what her excuse is but her being delusional and saying she always sings live is super confusing/annoying/a bit rude to her fans when she knows for a fact she doesn't. And nothing about any of her shows in the past 10 years says perfectionist, especially POM which is the epitome of sloppy. So I doubt she's not singing because she's super professional. 

If we gonna talk honestly the main Britneys problem is that she actually believes that she is super professional. She has that rude attitude that she is singing live, dancing hard and looking flawless and the problem is that nothing of that is truth. Sometimes I think she lives in some parallel universe. 

What I stated in previous post is what I think that she thinks, and not what I truly believe.

3 hours ago, brintyjoan said:

The 'she cant use her real voice' is not an excuse anymore, because she could have left her record label many years ago and make her own music. 

I think you completely misunderstood what i said about her not being able to use her voice properly. I said it is very hard to explain because there are some technicalities of it that are hard to understand. She does not have a "not real voice". That super girly and robotic tone in her music is all studio enhanced. Does Britney put on character voices in the studio? Yes, but anytime she has sung live, she does not try to execute it the same way.

She just has a really bad technique and believe it or not, so do a lot of even the best singers: Christina Aguilera, P!nk, Adele, Ariana Grande... you get my point. The difference between them and Britney is that Britney's voice is not nearly as strong as their's. It has been increasingly shaky ever since she hit puberty age(judging by her Mickey Mouse Club videos and other ones from her teen years and by the way her Jive audition was described by the man that signed her).

Lots of people only have a strong voice when they are children but once they grow up, they are not nearly as gifted. The less strong your voice is, the harder it is to maintain and control. On top of that, the label taught an already incompetent vocalist like her an even worse technique that she still uses today. Her voice is still deep; that has never changed, even when she sang live in the past. She is just very off key.

However, if she knew how to fix her technique, she could AT LEAST sound better than Selena, Taylor, Katy, and even Rihanna. 

2 hours ago, AndrejBLV said:

If we gonna talk honestly the main Britneys problem is that she actually believes that she is super professional. She has that rude attitude that she is singing live, dancing hard and looking flawless and the problem is that nothing of that is truth. Sometimes I think she lives in some parallel universe. 

What I stated in previous post is what I think that she thinks, and not what I truly believe.

She has angry at the media and the rest of the world since the starts of her career because of how they treated her and she lets her anger out at the fans. She is so sweet in her real life yet acts like this with her career. It's our fault we fans put up with it. I think she is a beautiful person on the inside but incredibly selfish.  She has got to not play a victim and take responsibility. People care about her and she just needs to have enough respect for herself to say, enough is enough.

2 hours ago, DoSomething954 said:

I don't think there is an excuse. She is insecure, emotional, and remember her age when she came into the industry. She was this ambitious young woman who came from an abusive childhood and had low expectations of herself.

Once she was signed, I think she suffered even more emotional abuse by both the people at her label and her team. They knew she was an expert on her image, ie. visuals: music videos, outfits, performances, etc. Yet, they did not trust her with her actual music and thought that her talent was limited to how she marketed herself.

(Mariah went through the same thing except she came in with her own songs and got to use her real voice but did not get to choose the song content nor her image)

She now has a hard time getting out of it. You would think after having kids, she would want to change her attitude and teach them that being their self is more important than what others think but she still acts like an emotional child about everything by being very passive aggressive. What can we do?

15 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

I don't think there is an excuse. She is insecure, emotional, and remember her age when she came into the industry. She was this ambitious young woman who came from an abusive childhood and had low expectations of herself.

Once she was signed, I think she suffered even more emotional abuse by both the people at her label and her team. They knew she was an expert on her image, ie. visuals: music videos, outfits, performances, etc. Yet, they did not trust her with her actual music and thought that her talent was limited to how she marketed herself.

(Mariah went through the same thing except she came in with her own songs and got to use her real voice but did not get to choose the song content nor her image)

She now has a hard time getting out of it. You would think after having kids, she would want to change her attitude and teach them that being their self is more important than what others think but she still acts like an emotional child about everything by being very passive aggressive. What can we do?

Ehh. I don't really see her like that, as a victim. The label not always wanting to follow the artist's vision isn't unheard of. Her not being able to have full control of her career is what every young artist goes through. She was a teenager when she started. What label would realistically let some teenager run their career when they are the ones spending money? It's a business. Maybe she was a bit naive about that fact sure, but I don't see her as mistreated by her label. They helped make her dreams come true and she could have walked away, bought out her contract if she didn't want that anymore. Esp. In her prime when she wasn't in a c-ship. There were plenty of routes she could have taken had she wanted a different type of career. I refuse to believe she didn't have options. 

But as you said it's no excuse for her to never sing or put the effort in. For whatever reason, she never fought to have a different type of career. Artists like Pink, Xtina, Mariah, etc fought tooth and nail to have more control after their debuts because it wasn't who they were. She could have totally gone independent and had huge support from her fans. But she didn't. Somewhere along the lines I think she just got comfortable with where her career was headed. And we as fans should probably face that reality. 

ı used to think that she was afraid of singing live or didn't want to sing live so she lost her ability to sing live because she got used to singing only in studio; taking breaks, recording parts of the songs separately...almost everyone can sing like that and it doesn't improve ones singing.after the something to talk about cover, ı think that she can sing live but she is afraid of doing shows that include more than one song which is gonna be singed live or singing live at every show and she doesn't want to do it.or she can train her voice and sing ballads live at every show and she can sing with backing tracks if she wants to but she doesn't want to put much effort.you know, she doesn't put much effort into dancing too.

17 minutes ago, DoSomething954 said:

Ehh. I don't really see her like that, as a victim. The label not always wanting to follow the artist's vision isn't unheard of. Her not being able to have full control of her career is what every young artist goes through. She was a teenager when she started. What label would realistically let some teenager run their career when they are the ones spending money? It's a business. Maybe she was a bit naive about that fact sure, but I don't see her as mistreated by her label. They helped make her dreams come true and she could have walked away, bought out her contract if she didn't want that anymore. Esp. In her prime when she wasn't in a c-ship. There were plenty of routes she could have taken had she wanted a different type of career. I refuse to believe she didn't have options. 

But as you said it's no excuse for her to never sing or put the effort in. For whatever reason, she never fought to have a different type of career. Artists like Pink, Xtina, Mariah, etc fought tooth and nail to have more control after their debuts because it wasn't who they were. She could have totally gone independent and had huge support from her fans. But she didn't. Somewhere along the lines I think she just got comfortable with where her career was headed. And we as fans should probably face that reality. 

I said she plays a victim, not that she is one. I also know that almost every artists goes through it but that is like saying all kids that come from the same abusive foster parents can all turn a new leaf but every human being is very different. Kelly Clarkson was treated that way for many years but she has always been very strong willed and upfront about the way she was treated.

Britney used to say in her old fan letters that she was taught as a Southern girl to be extremely well mannered. She became extremely submissive as a result if you take that and combine it with an alcoholic father and enabling mother. She came into this industry trying not to burn any bridges. I think label executives in general treat and talk down to their artists in a very condescending way. Michael Jackson and Mariah Carey have been through the same thing. However, they both handled their situations very differently.

They were upfront about it and Britney has always kind of sneaked those comments in because at the end of the day, she does not want to blame anyone else. However, keeping all those emotions in just makes her increasingly play a victim role that she never wanted to in the first place. That is what happens when you become increasingly resentful on how you are treated yet are always trying to turn the other cheek when you are actually extremely hurt by another's actions.

You said she could easily have bought out of her contract but a girl with low self esteem is not just going to walk away from a relationship with a terrible guy because she can find better. She will settle because she thinks that she deserves being treated that way. She had options; all artists do. All people do, in fact but that does not make it that simple. P!nk and Christina have always had a ton of respect for themselves and spoke their mind. Britney is okay with being treated badly. There's the difference.

Archived