What is Britney's '4th signature song'?

zxcvb

4 hours ago, yorkster said:

I'd have to say Gimme More by a long shot.

The #1 signature song is universally recognised as BOMT because it was the debut single, sold by far more than any of her other singles, the schoolgirl outfit is iconic etc etc. Oops! is 2nd because again it had high sales, the red catsuit, the Titanic scene reference, and was the jump off point to her biggest selling album. Then it would be Toxic because the video and song were highly critically acclaimed and gave her a huge bounce back hit when her sales were decreasing slightly. Gimme More has the iconic "It's Britney *****" which is practically a signature phrase whenever the media or GP talk about Britney now a decade after the term was first used, not to mention it being sampled in S&S, the car crash VMA performance, the media frenzy around her at the time, and the fact it's an opener to the majority of her fan's proclaimed 'favourite album'.

Slave 4 U would probably come in as fifth due to the VMA performance, and to a lesser extent, the well known choreography.

Everytime, Womanizer, Till The World Ends & Work ***** each have their own great merits but also their downfalls (Everytime - cut scenes from video, Womanizer video is a cheaper carbon copy of Toxic, TTWE is a carbon copy of Slave, Work *****, again cut scenes respectively), and the latter two, whether fans choose to accept it or not, were at a period where Britney's popularity, interest and energy were in decline.

Yes gimme more is her 4th signature song, but how is TTWE a copy of slave? Their concepts aren't even the same. Yes they both share a grimy, dirty theme, but the whole concept of the videos is totally different. Womanizer THE VIDEO is a copy of toxic, but the song was a massive success, and her first US #1 since BOMT. 

Work ***** is definitely her most remembered song from the 2010s, and I think it would come in as her fifth signature song (after BOMT, Oops, Toxic, and Gimme More). The FF singles were honestly popular at the time, but they have little to no impact on pop culture today. Work ***** literally plays at the gym all the time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I'd say Slave has become just as memorable and has become one of Britney's greatest/most recognizable essential songs along with BOMT, Oops, Toxic and Womanizer. 

Britneys Top 5 most iconic are above, with Gimme More, Crazy, TTWE, Everytime, and WB as the rounded out group of britney classics. 

Which is insane because we aren't even counting tracks like Stronger, Circus, Overprotected, Sometimes, DLMBTLTK, POM, IUSA, I Wanna Go etc that were STILL huge songs and are absolutely memorable around the globe.

She really is a timeless pop queen.

You could make a decent argument for all of them. I would have to say it's difficult to choose because Everytime always gets performed and charts in other countries, it's also highly praised even now for the haunting tone and vocals. TTWE and Work ***** are definitely her signature tracks from this decade. S4U is the song that started her transition to an adult pop star and it had iconic performances as well as the iconic video. Then you have Gimme More from what some consider her best album, the 2007 VMA performance, It's Britney ***** line that gets used so often, etc. If I had to pick I guess I would say Slave or Gimme More. 

It's definitely NOT Womanizer. No one remembers Womanizer. It went #1, but it's never referenced, the video didn't have any iconic looks, no iconic performances, like :wyd:

It's clearly Gimme More. "It's Britney, *****" is one of the most iconic things of her career. Plus the VMA performance, it's a done deal.

Slave would round out the top 5. 

4 hours ago, Legend said:

Yes gimme more is her 4th signature song, but how is TTWE a copy of slave? Their concepts aren't even the same. Yes they both share a grimy, dirty theme, but the whole concept of the videos is totally different. Womanizer THE VIDEO is a copy of toxic, but the song was a massive success, and her first US #1 since BOMT. 

Work ***** is definitely her most remembered song from the 2010s, and I think it would come in as her fifth signature song (after BOMT, Oops, Toxic, and Gimme More). The FF singles were honestly popular at the time, but they have little to no impact on pop culture today. Work ***** literally plays at the gym all the time.

With the exception of TTWE referencing the apocalypse with the date and when the meteorites come crashing down, visually they are the same - Britney walking passed people through a dirty club scene, the solo back-lit dancing with the cube glass wall in Slave/circular disc looking lights in TTWE, her and her dancers writhing on each other in a fatigue tone - there's a lot of similarities from a direction & editing viewpoint.

And to be fair, I was only referring to the Womanizer video. I didn't, nor wouldn't discredit the success it had. On a personal level, I love both Womanizer and TTWE, and most of her whole catalogue if I'm honest. I would personally deem Slave more of a signature song before Gimme More, but with the songs in that list, I felt a less subjective approach is more applicable for the question at hand, critiquing each one in the fairest way.

The classics that EVERYONE knows:

Baby

Toxic

oops

s4U

Gimme More

------------

Semi classics GP knows:

Lucky 

womanizer

TTWE

WB

Sometimes

You drive me crazy

Stronger

Circus

----

well known but forgotten: 

Not a girl

Overprotected 

everytime

piece of me 

-----

Fan Classics, Flops, unreleased & unappreciated (lol that would be a good GH album) 

:whitney:

Archived