Who?

Black_Out

Who's come closest to Britney's level of phenomenon star power success? I would say its between Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber. Beiber didn't really revolutionize the industry in any way, hes just globally popular. Gaga 100% changed the scene and added creativity. A lot of artists started wearing weird and whack **** after Gaga. Who do you think? Id also say Taylors sales are highly impressive for today, and wonder what they would have looked like back in the day when it was easier to sell. Minus that I cant stand the *****.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say Taylor but she is more of a pop culture phenomenon. When it comes to specifically music then it's definitely Rihanna. Rihanna has an awesome work ethic, consistency (even though most of her pre-ANTI music is trash) and Rih isn't just a "pop" artist, she can do anything and still sell, she literally brings in attention from every demographic and every fanbase. She can do pop, EDM, hip hop, R&B, her star power and brand are undeniable, though, she is a lazy performer. :brityes:

It's hard to say.

I think Justin Beiber has the most similarities when it comes to actual career - in style, dance (?), "live" singing, and controversy. And Taylor Swift definitely dominates the slot for the blonde white girl American pop star.

Britney was just the instant cookie cutter mold for what a pop star should be at that time, so everyone else during the late '90s/early 2000s felt like a knock off duplication. And Britney was the only one to really survive the end of bubblegum pop & transition into adulthood - the same way that Justin Timberlake came out on top as the only solo artist from all of the boy bands.

I don't think any of the new generation pop titans have a lot of people being directly molded after them. Kesha is kind of a Gaga knock off, but Gaga was already hugely influenced by Madonna. And everyone else who copied Gaga's style was already established artists for the most part - not to mention that trend in outlandish fashion has died.

Rihanna is certainly the reigning fashion queen now, but the high fashion world and the pop music world have been converging for a while now, so things are very different from Britney's days when the two were very separate from each other. Pop stars used to wear costumes, now they dress from straight off the runway. And this is definitely a relationship (designers x pop stars) that Gaga helped create.

Then the dancing aspect is a whole other section for analysis, because none of these new generation titans does Britney-level choreography. That's where her authenticity was, and the current trend for pop star authenticity is still mostly in powerhouse vocals where everyone screams their heads off. 

So in summation, Beiber is the closest thing to Britney, but there is yet to be a femal pop star who can claim the same terrain. 

I'm happy people are saying Gaga. Beiber may be popular but he doesnt have any memorable moments tbh. Or Taylor. Beyonce only has Single Ladies, and she certainly has spent more of her career at a lower spectrum until recently. Rihanna does have the hits and appeal but she doesnt have those memorable moments either. If she stopped, she is forgettable tbh. I love her but its true.

Archived