Review: Kesha Leaves Us On Our Knees And Praying On New Album, "Rainbow"

NotAPassenger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one will say anything about this beautiful article? Such a great review you did, @NotAPassenger

This is the first time I listen to a Kesha album from the start to end. I was a fan of her radio hits before, but I never paid attention to her albums.... until now. 

I've seen some mixed reviews on twitter/facebook about Rainbow and I was so "meh" to the thought of listening to this, but today I finally decided that I should try it. Firstly, I love the artwork and secondly the cohesiveness of the album. I think every song is well done written and the production isn't outdated (like Gaga's last album). 

Songs that I really love: Praying, Boots, Rainbow, Hunt You Down, Learn To Let Go and Bastards. 

Song I can't stand: Boogie

Favourite lyrics:

"I wanna be your baby, your angel all in black and your little blue-eyed gypsy who's always got your back." 

..or 

"I know forever don't exist, but after this life I'll find you in the next"

I'm so glad I listened to this album, because I love it from start to end and wow, such a strong woman, Kesha Rose. 

I forgot I hadn't said anything here; I've been listening all weekend, though. :giggleney: I love nearly every song-- and really, I even love the one I'm a bit shaky on and I love the choir joining her (yes, it's Bastards), so overall I'm just in love with this album as a whole. I also know that her mom actually wrote Old Flames (Can't Hold A Candle To You) and that it was on Dolly Parton's Dolly Dolly Dolly album, and it's just a fantastic pairing and cover to me. Other notables for me are Hunt You Down, Boots, Boogie Feet, Spaceship, and Rainbow. (I still love the tracks that were released as lead/buzz singles, and know Rainbow was one of those, but I love it so much I'm mentioning it again.) And I will say that as a Southern woman who has grown up around country and has been burned out on the 'new' rock/country sound that began in the early nineties (I want to say), it's hard to make me like it unless it's a nod to the old style-- which is what she's done here in several cases, and it's ear candy.

Overall, very well done! :liberatedaf:

15 hours ago, Roger said:

I love Kesha but only her uptempos and I don't want to go through an album full of ballads depressing songs

So, can someone tell me which songs are like the old Kesha please?

Oh, you don't know what you're missing. And surprisingly enough, these songs are mostly not depressing, but more uplifting. But if you must, the uptempo songs are: "Let 'Em Talk" "Woman" "Hunt You Down" "Boogie Feet" and "Boots". But just a warning for ya, lyrically they sound like Kesha songs, Sonically, they don't, so you may be disappointed after all.

22 hours ago, Roger said:

I love Kesha but only her uptempos and I don't want to go through an album full of ballads depressing songs

So, can someone tell me which songs are like the old Kesha please?

7 hours ago, G L O R Y said:

The ballads are not depressing lol. They are very optimistic tbh.

6 hours ago, Stifler's Mom said:

true. only good energy really. so I can't really see them as depressing at all.

To be honest, there is one depressing song on the album (or there could be), but it's all in perspective and is about how you look at the song. It's Spaceship. Because Spaceship is kind of like a throwback/nod to the old bluegrass songs that would sing about dying and moving onto Heaven, though since Kesha's spiritual but not necessarily religious, she's put her own spin on it. So if you look at from the perspective of it being her discussing what's going to happen when she passes on, then yeah, it could be taken that way. It shouldn't be, however: she's positive about it.

So yeah, I agree with mmmpatti, G L O R Y, and Stifler's Mom.

Archived