Was the X Factor the turning point?

Daredevil

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody blame X Factor for many things, but I don't think it was that bad, despite everything. At the end it could be considered just as a pause on her singing career, and yet she still had Scream & Shout. Even Ooh La La was part of that hiatus.

The problem, I think, wasn't even Britney Jean itself, but the lack of presence in the music scene. If you ask a random person, they won't tell you BJ was a bad album and that's why they don't like Britney anymore. They won't even know she's released two albums in the past 4 years to begin with. People forget very easily, especially when it comes to the music, and even more with this wave of new acts that came out in these past years. That's why I think it was imperative for her to keep releasing more singles, even if the sales weren't good enough. I mean, I know all the reasons why they stopped, but I think it was very negative that they left the entire 2014 without releasing even one single, then 2015 only Pretty Girls, then 2016 just two singles at the end of the year. Now we're past the half of 2017 and no new single. She isn't present in the public's minds. Anybody would think she's retired since 2012 or even earlier. Releasing more singles would've given more possibilities of at least one song sticking in the GP's mind. But they give up so easily.

23 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Everybody blame X Factor for many things, but I don't think it was that bad, despite everything. At the end it could be considered just as a pause on her singing career, and yet she still had Scream & Shout. Even Ooh La La was part of that hiatus.

The problem, I think, wasn't even Britney Jean itself, but the lack of presence in the music scene. If you ask a random person, they won't tell you BJ was a bad album and that's why they don't like Britney anymore. They won't even know she's released two albums in the past 4 years to begin with. People forget very easily, especially when it comes to the music, and even more with this wave of new acts that came out in these past years. That's why I think it was imperative for her to keep releasing more singles, even if the sales weren't good enough. I mean, I know all the reasons why they stopped, but I think it was very negative that they left the entire 2014 without releasing even one single, then 2015 only Pretty Girls, then 2016 just two singles at the end of the year. Now we're past the half of 2017 and no new single. She isn't present in the public's minds. Anybody would think she's retired since 2012 or even earlier. Releasing more singles would've given more possibilities of at least one song sticking in the GP's mind. But they give up so easily.

this.

She was still getting mad love from the public during the FF era. But performances like this really started to eat away at that:

and 

There's only so many times you can disappoint on stage before the public begins to lose confidence in you as a performer.

The Billboard 2016 performance was a great step towards gaining that confidence back, but she needed to follow it up with another spectacular performance.

Not this.

I think ppl stopped caring around work *****/britney jean/vegas...as much as she changed the landscape of Vegas, it's just like 'oh she's doing a Vegas residency now...I guess she's not touring/doing anything relevant anymore' and plus work ***** was such a 'fun' song it wasn't really taken seriously either as a work of art or anything. plus scream and shout was also just a fun club song with will.i.am. barf. she followed it up with perfume which I think was amazing but I guess it was too late. after FF and the will I am stuff no one saw her as an artist who was releasing truly good ballads and good music that deserved awards. 

glory deserved way way waayyyyy more singles and recognition from the gp. like I get it, BJ wasn't gonna be nominated at the Grammys or anything but for the love of god, ppl could have given props to glory which was actually good. you don't have to throw her out just cause she had one shitty album and one flop single (perfume) after a stream of banger after banger. so unfair. 

45 minutes ago, jamesedward94 said:

I think it started with Criminal. I Wanna Go did great and the video was pretty awesome. But there was controversy with Criminal and they video wasn't that good. And then the song flopped. Femme Fatale was actually a great era sales wise. She had a number one and even won a VMA for Best Pop Video. 

You're right with that. The video for Criminal would've been cringe-worthy in the eyes of the public.

Nobody wants to see Britney's boyfriends in a video anymore -- not after the cringe-fest that was KFed. :gross:

Well actually she looked pretty hot on X Factor and even though she didn't talk a lot or show too much personality, it was a lot more than we had gotten in a long time. And when they would announce her, people screamed more than anyone else - it proved her stardom. Even Simon said he never saw anything like it when they would announce her. So, it wasn't the best project in the world but it wasn't what you're implying.

People forget but XFactor gave us Britney singing twice... Happy Birthday and a bit of "Imagine" next to Carly Rose Sonenclar... :lemmetellu:

So I don't think XFactor was a turning point, plus S&S was a smashing hit due to her presence on TV if you ask me :outwithit:

It's quite normal for an artist not to arouse interest as in their primes, everyone loved her comeback and supported her but once she came back why would they keep caring for her? She's already stable and well  :whitney: see my point?

What she needs to do is try to get their interest back by giving excellent music, excellent performances, touring, giving her best coz most people did their best to put her back on track. But she DOES NOT care to do that...so her turning point is herself :NYsassy:

No, the current context she (and us) is now is the result of many bad decisions made along her last 10 years. There is not a precise turning point because everything has been gradual since she came back. Not singing live + very poor promotional plans + being away from the music scene + generational changes + newer and fresher artist + not caring about her own career. It's a combination of all these things that little by little made Britney get away from the GP and even her own fans. The X Factor thing didnt affect her status or connection with any audience simply because it wasn't an outstanding show. It was just temporary and that's it. Just like he BJ album. :rude2me:

7 hours ago, OopsOverprotected said:

I think it all started with FF. 

People listened to the songs but they didn't care about Britney as a person anymore.

1. Femme Fatale was succesful because it featured catchy pop and radio friendly singles + she promoted them with a worlwide tour + her image was still fresh from her comeback. 

2. They stopped caring about her person since like 2002. So I don't think the FF era has anything to do with it. 

22 hours ago, Million Billion said:

No, the current context she (and us) is now is the result of many bad decisions made along her last 10 years. There is not a precise turning point because everything has been gradual since she came back. Not singing live + very poor promotional plans + being away from the music scene + generational changes + newer and fresher artist + not caring about her own career. It's a combination of all these things that little by little made Britney get away from the GP and even her own fans. The X Factor thing didnt affect her status or connection with any audience simply because it wasn't an outstanding show. It was just temporary and that's it. Just like he BJ album. :rude2me:

1. Femme Fatale was succesful because it featured catchy pop and radio friendly singles + she promoted them with a worlwide tour + her image was still fresh from her comeback. 

2. They stopped caring about her person since like 2002. So I don't think the FF era has anything to do with it. 

Well yeah I cannot disagree.

Actually the best decisions really started with Circus. People supported until they understand she will just not deliver anymore and they lost the interest.
Anyway it is pretty good that her starpower could support her two albums released so late after her prime.

Archived