Britney is not that bad tbh

kutayuysaler

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the album version of boys better than the remix. The bridge had me shook when i first heard it :mattafact:

I like Britney and i think it's more her than the previous 2. I run away has become my favorite song from that album and i think it's a wasted opportunity for a single. Honestly i can't believe they went with not a girl :ipass:

1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but Britney feels like the Britney Jean album of her pre-breakdown albums to me tbh. It's nowhere near as bad as Britney Jean, and I know she had a lot more involvement on it than Britney Jean, but it just feels disconnected to me. It just feels more manufactured and not very Britney to me even though her vocals are very memorable from the album. I don't know if it's because the record hasn't aged well or what, but it just feels overproduced and not that genuine to me. 

BOMT was her first album, had hits, and it wasn't 100% her style, but it was genuine in her talent. OIDIA was just a solid pop record. It tells a story, has hits, and while it's definitely noticeable that it's from a different time, it still sounds great and isn't overdone or annoyingly outdated or anything. ITZ, well, we already know is timeless as hell and probably Britney's most personal and creative album. Then... there's Britney. It feels manufactured, overproduced, outdated, and like a Crossroads soundtrack or something. Her vocals are great and iconic on it, but besides Slave and at times Boys, I just don't really care for anything else off of it. I just can't get into it. It feels disconnected to me.

I think it's Britney's most personal lyrics but she was trying to find a balance between doing what she likes that is more grown up and something that is what her label wanted. Baby One More Time was not really her but it was definitely a great stepping stone into her career so she could gradually have the sound she wanted.

The thing about Britney is that it does feel a little more grown up and it feels a lot less like it has fillers. It also does not have too much of the cheesy melodic stuff of her first two albums that she probably hated!

It feels weird to have an album like Britney right before In The Zone. The latter has such a different sound and you could just feel that Britney's likes and tastes were plastered over it. "Britney" does not feel like that. It's electro pop in a way that is not Britney. I heard the album was supposed to have more tracks she wrote that were also produced more by The Neptunes but again, her label people are *** hats.

Britney is so underrated. It has more single-worthy tracks than just about anything else in her discography, excluding Blackout

I'm addition to "Slave" and "Overprotected," which remain two of her best singles ever, "Lonely," "Cinderella," "Anticipating," "What It's Like to be Me," "Before the Goodbye," and "I Run Away" could've had amazing music videos and been very successful.

And even though the album seems disjointed to some, since it's half teenybopper/Crossroads promo and half completely new r&b/hip-hop influenced material, it was the best possible way for her to transition from the bubblegum pop perfection of Oops and into the mature sensuality of In The Zone without alienating all of her fanbase, who were largely still comprised of very young girls at the time. Like, I was personally one of those very young girls, and was really shocked and turned-off by the "Slave" MV at the time, but then "Overprotected" and "Not a Girl" completely redeemed my fandom which had been otherwise untested since her debut. 

So anyway, it's not just a solid pop album, but was also a necessary one to pave the way for ITZ and BO. :tbh:

1 hour ago, kutayuysaler said:

***** where are the vocals youre talking about im still searching :snooptoya:

Well, Britney did receive a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album, which has only happened one other time throughout her career (for Oops). Additionally, "Overprotected" was also nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. :bwink:

1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but Britney feels like the Britney Jean album of her pre-breakdown albums to me tbh. It's nowhere near as bad as Britney Jean, and I know she had a lot more involvement on it than Britney Jean, but it just feels disconnected to me. It just feels more manufactured and not very Britney to me even though her vocals are very memorable from the album. I don't know if it's because the record hasn't aged well or what, but it just feels overproduced and not that genuine to me. 

BOMT was her first album, had hits, 

If we have to describe Britney Jean album the last adjectives I'd use would be manufactured and overproduced. The BJ album is rushed and incomplete. So.e songs are great but in general it does sound far from what the Britney album sounded at the time. 

It may sound "overproduced"  to you because it was the peak of the bubblegum pop era she delivered. Even when the album was very pop and girly the were some glimpses of the urban direction (slave, boys, rock and roll, before the goodbye) she will follow in the future. It is full of single-material tracks, I would have been satisfied with whatever track they would have chosen. It does sound dated AF (so does Oops & Blackout ) but it is because that was the trend back then. 

On 29/07/2017 at 4:31 AM, NotAPassenger said:

I saw that title and thought "Christ this is where we are is it" :orangu: 

Yeah, I didn't know it was referring to the self-titled album at first either and was quite taken aback. BREAKING: Britney Spears' fanbase concludes the popstar is "not that bad."

:blol:

9 minutes ago, Chris343 said:

I'm surprised at the 'dislike' towards 'I'm not a Girl'. Probably because it was a big hit in the uk, did it not have much of an impact in the us?

I just think it didn't age well since the lyrical content is so specifically a "coming of age" concept. Plus, a lot of her fanbase consists of gay men, who indicate they don't relate to the song for obvious reasons. 

But whenever it was released, I was a pre-adolescent girl, and all of my friends and I thought it was the best song ever.

I rarely ever listen to it now myself, but do still think it's a great teen pop song with solid vocals. In and of itself, I think it's the second best ballad she's ever released (following Everytime). 

Archived