Julia Michaels Is On A Mission Of Self Discovery With ‘Nervous System’: Stream

Jordan Miller

• Leader
julia-michaels-nervous-system-mini-album

Julia Michaels makes her solo debut with Nervous System.

Julia Michaels has lent her unmatched songwriting talents to some of the industry's brightest stars, including Justin Bieber (“Sorry”) Britney Spears (“Slumber Party”) Selena Gomez (“Hands To Myself”) Ed Sheeran (“Dive”) Fifth Harmony (“All In My Head”) and Kelly Clarkson (“War Paint”), but it's high time for the 23-year-old to stand on her own.

Michaels' new mini album, Nervous System, debuts today (July 28). It's a collection of seven original songs from the budding pop star, including previously released tracks "Issues," which has racked up more than 360 million streams on Spotify alone, and "Uh Huh." The video for the latter premiered earlier this week.

Her music sounds like something a seasoned veteran five albums in would release. Why? The structure of each track is impeccable, but more importantly there's a cohesive message laced on every track. It feels as if Julia has arrived to a romantic crossroads, and she's taking us along for the journey.

On "Just Do It," Julia sings about urging her significant other to breakup up with her swiftly. "So if you're gonna do it then baby just do it," she sings over a sugary beat. The lyrics are actually quite sad. "Don't let me down gently."

Another highlight is "Make It Up To You." The slinky song twists Michaels soft vocals into something robotic and the chorus is frenetic. "I know I said that I'd call but I never said when / Always holdin' over your head everything we've been through." Same with "Pink," it's a quirky pop cut that tinkers Julia's voice in between whispers and its magnetic chorus; one of the best on the record.

“Don’t Wanna Think” is an emotionally-charged piano ballad about drowning your sorrows. “Now I'm not really one for drinking songs / But I guess that I should probably write one / Cause I'm feeling pretty lonely.”

We’re also unfamiliar with “Worst In Me,” the mini-album’s tender power ballad about self-sabotaging a relationship that has real potential. “But maybe it's the worst in me / That's bringing out the worst in you / I know we could fix these kinks / But the worst in me doesn't want to.”

It's unclear where Julia stands emotionally since wrapping Nervous System. There are so many unanswered questions – is she ready for singledom? Where does she go from here? Is she happy with the "restraints" of her current relationship? Or is she just really, really great at storytelling? It remains to be seen, but one thing's for sure: Michaels will find her way.

Stream below (available beginning at midnight EST):

Thoughts? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"NERVOUS SYSTEM" [MINI ALBUM]

Nervous-System.jpg?resize=500,500&ssl=1

01. Issues

02. Uh Huh

03. Worst In Me

04. Make It Up To You

05. Just Do It

06. Pink

07. Don't Wanna Think

(click on song title to hear it)

Her mini album (EP) is already released in some countries, so you can already stream it on Spotify/Apple Music or buy it on itunes if you are from NZ, for example. It will be released in US in a few hours as well.

Julia also got her first ever VMA nomination for Best New Artist. It would be nice if you can take a few seconds and vote for her here.

I don't want to hear 'not Britney related' comments, because this girl gave us the best songs on "Glory" and she's been nothing, but supportive of our homegirl.

To make it more Britney related... :orly:

britney-justin-julia.png?w=630&h=420&zc=

C-nx1MpXcAE59MU.jpg

Screenshot_2017-04-13-05-20-44-1-461x400

IMG_6517.JPG

22 minutes ago, CristMont said:

I love her :mcry:

She is so down to earth and humble. Reminds me a lot of Brit. I'm not surprised Britney liked to work with her so much. They are pretty much similar when it comes to personality. :soyeah: 

17 minutes ago, -OnMyRadar- said:

Can someone tell me who she is? No negative comments please. 

I just voted tho 

You probably heard one of the biggest radio hits this year "Issues" (if you didn't, I guess you are living under the rock, cause that song smashed pretty much everywhere). She wrote the best songs on "Glory" a.k.a "Invitation", "Do You Wanna Come Over", "Just Like Me", "Just Luv Me", "Slumber Party" & "Change Your Mind", she's is the girl Britney enjoyed to work with, she is the girl who wrote "Sorry" for Justin Bieber and many other hits. Such a talented girl. :)

The B-Army fells in love with every artist that works with Britney...

I guess Team B or RCA are doing their job better than we thought :wannadie:

I loved her work on Glory but no need for this in the Britney section

I have only one girl and that's Britney, *****.

1d8dd789754451bd66459d6c6e8dbe52.jpg

Guest Diamond Horse
1 hour ago, BritneyIsPurePerfection said:

C-nx1MpXcAE59MU.jpg

I kinda like the boy behind Britney

Is he somebody I should know?

lol

11 minutes ago, mauureee said:

The B-Army fells in love with every artist that works with Britney...

Don Philip? Sabi? Will.I.Am? Iggy? :moorangu: 

We all (well, most of us) have some standards and taste tho.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, mauureee said:

I loved her work on Glory but no need for this in the Britney section

I have only one girl and that's Britney, *****.

1d8dd789754451bd66459d6c6e8dbe52.jpg

NO ONE is comparable with Britney. Instead of hating on every possible artist out there and complain about Britney's lips/nose/face/skin color/food choice, we can help this girl who gave us the best tracks Britney had in years. Besides, she is talented, likeable and sweet girl. Let's spread some love.

quote-britney-love-to-me-is-a-lot-of-thi

Archived