Who honestly thinks a diff lead single could have done better.

indyRS

5 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

Any uptempo song would have fared better than Make Me. I've said it 100 times: when people hear Britney Spears is back with new music, Make Me is not the type of **** people expect or want to hear. Make Me blended in; it did not make any impact and more importantly it wasn't catchy and didn't make anyone want to dance. Not a good song to kick off a Britney campaign; it's a 4th single type of song.

Britney cannot keep doing the same music over and over again, she needs to cross over into newer sounds or she's gonna became a nostalgia act (that's if she isn't already)

Make me was a great first single, it was fresh, it was like nothing on radios, literally all of my friends who are not into Brit loved it. Britney cheesy image and Disney video ruined everything.

Second single should've been DYWCO or Better or any of the other upbeat songs 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For people saying LMD, that's not even realistic. It would not have smashed, it's repetitive, it's boring, and it offers nothing fresh. It literally sounds like Justin Bieber's "As long as you love me". Not cute.

Make Me was perfect. It's a song that you can bop along to, while still having entertaining lyrics and having an interesting sound. It's a good direction for Britney. SP was also a good choice for a second single. People really don't understand that sounds rarely take off with the minimal promo that those singles received. Nothing would have done better imo.

Had 'Make Me' not leaked when it did, throwing off her promo schedule, and then obviously the fiasco surrounding the music video(s), I think it would have made much more impact than it did.

Although up-tempos generally get more attention, the music scene at the time was saturated with mid-tempo hits and it is a decent reflection/taster of the majority of Glory, so I don't think releasing a mid-tempo was a poor business decision. I actually think an up-tempo would have been a harder sell at the time.

Maybe if there was a more high profile collaboration than G-Eazy too, that might've helped? I like his rap, but for a comeback after the dismal mess of 'Britney Jean' and then 'Pretty Girls', I would've thought they'd go in for the kill with a HUGE rapper.

But disregarding that speculation though... All in all, the initial ingredients were right. If 'Make Me' was released with the planned schedule, without the drama of the video (which I personally deduce to conflicts with it's sponsors more than anything), the debut would've been MUCH higher, creating more hype, and, even with Britney's reputation at this time with the GP, there would be far less stress on the 2nd single (whatever it may have originally been) as it would ride the wave.

12 minutes ago, yorkster said:

Had 'Make Me' not leaked when it did, throwing off her promo schedule, and then obviously the fiasco surrounding the music video(s), I think it would have made much more impact than it did.

Although up-tempos generally get more attention, the music scene at the time was saturated with mid-tempo hits and it is a decent reflection/taster of the majority of Glory, so I don't think releasing a mid-tempo was a poor business decision. I actually think an up-tempo would have been a harder sell at the time.

Maybe if there was a more high profile collaboration than G-Eazy too, that might've helped? I like his rap, but for a comeback after the dismal mess of 'Britney Jean' and then 'Pretty Girls', I would've thought they'd go in for the kill with a HUGE rapper.

But disregarding that speculation though... All in all, the initial ingredients were right. If 'Make Me' was released with the planned schedule, without the drama of the video (which I personally deduce to conflicts with it's sponsors more than anything), the debut would've been MUCH higher, creating more hype, and, even with Britney's reputation at this time with the GP, there would be far less stress on the 2nd single (whatever it may have originally been) as it would ride the wave.

I understand why you would think that because mid tempo was popular at the time. However, during the early 2000s, Britney's style of pop was not nearly as "popular" to the general public. That is why it was mainly targeted to the younger demographic that had no say on what music was at the top of the charts until she came along, hence the name "teen pop".

Britney has always made music outside of what is popular. Even when she released Blackout, the sound was not even big at the time. Hip Hop was still the leader, yet she got great chart success with Gimme More anyways.

I think Britney following trends and putting a sound on her album that does not sound familiar to the general public regarding how they see Britney I think made it hard for them to like it. However, you are right that if Make Me was released when first planned, it probably would have done better or if they released the original video. I guess we will never know now.

11 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

Any uptempo song would have fared better than Make Me. I've said it 100 times: when people hear Britney Spears is back with new music, Make Me is not the type of **** people expect or want to hear. Make Me blended in; it did not make any impact and more importantly it wasn't catchy and didn't make anyone want to dance. Not a good song to kick off a Britney campaign; it's a 4th single type of song.

Make Me went #1 on itunes quickly after its release

The record seen a big increase on itunes after her VMA performance

The  single rose up when she did Jimmy Kimmel and Carpool K but you say the public did not want to hear it

Make me was recieved well

When will guys learn? She can give us a lead single as bad as Chillin' With You but if she promotes it and cares for the single, it will be successful. The only reason her music lately hasn't been very successful is because she doesn't promote but if she promotes, it doesn't matter the quality of the music, it will be successful.

I honestly like Make Me as the lead single and would have been even bigger with the original Make Me video. :urite:

If I had to choose another song I would pick...

Unpopular Opinion: Hard To Forget Ya, tbh its a fun upbeat song that I could see as a first single because just that intro is kind of re-introducing her as this new more energized Britney. :brit:I mean after Britney Jean she was dead I swear.  :outwithit:Hard To Forget Ya kind of I get that vibe that it would remind the GP, never count Britney out because she is Hard To Forget. This song reminds me of Heaven On Earth tbh been listening to it more lately.  I will never understand the hate for this Bop. :calculating:

DWYCO would of been a great lead single too or 2nd single tbh it just has Glory written all over it. :hipney:

LMD I think would have been better as a 2nd or 3rd single same with Just Luv Me.

I still think Better would have flopped its so generic and it reminds me of Justin Bieber type songs. :nicki2: I honestly don't want Britney to be known for following Selena, Justin style. I want Britney to be known for doing HER Style. :crying11:

I think Mood Ring would have been a better lead.  I mentioned this in another thread, but the release would have been around the time that Needed Me was huge and this would have followed suit.  She could have had a major chance to regain credibility with people because all of her promo performances would have been her just standing at a mic, and would have given her the opportunity to sing it live without having to worry about a lackluster dance routine. 

Archived