Was Mood Ring originally the direction Glory was headed?

jamesedward94

It sounds nothing like the rest of the album and gives off very contemporary, edgy, Rihanna vibes. It is very hip hop and dark and almost has a Blackout vibe but with crisper production. I mean, there are many different style songs on Glory and that comes from working with my different people. But with it being the only song on the album like it, and just on the Japanese version at that, was this once the vision for the entire album but was scrapped for the Julia Michaels/Selena Gomez style sound? And would you have been up for an album full of Mood Ring style songs?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i feel like the closest thing to mood ring on Glory is Just Luv Me and Make Me 

and it is a nice style of music but its not very Britney and not something id enjoy from her for an entire album. yes, she should grow outward and explore more genre's of music but she's better with dance tracks and ballads. not saying she should stick to generic pop but kinda have variety in sound that still sound her style

I mean it's DJ Mustard. His sound is super distinct and was everywhere for a few years with a crazy amount of urban hits (Rack City, Show Me, Post to Be, 2 On, My ******, Needed Me, etc). Again, Britney was late to that party, so I'm glad there wasn't an album full of that.

It sounds like Just Luv Me and invitation but more urban. 

22 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

Glory was originally going in a different direction and Britney said she didn’t like where it was going. That’s when her team found Karen and the album changed. Liar is one of the original tracks I believe.

Yeah it was gonna be pretty world. Thanks Karen for snapping sense back into britney.... now can she just take over larry's position? :) 

32 minutes ago, The_Original_Toy said:

and it is a nice style of music but its not very Britney and not something id enjoy from her for an entire album. yes, she should grow outward and explore more genre's of music but she's better with dance tracks and ballads. not saying she should stick to generic pop but kinda have variety in sound that still sound her style

I agree - Britney at her best is when she dabbles in a little bit of everything but still makes it her own

2 minutes ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

Yeah it was gonna be pretty world. Thanks Karen for snapping sense back into britney.... now can she just take over larry's position? :) 

I think Larry gets too much blame, I mean we wouldn’t have Britney if he didn’t discover her, lol.

2 minutes ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

Was Pretry Girls really gonna be a lead single for an album called Pretty World? :sassybrit:

1 minute ago, danny1994 said:

I think Larry gets too much blame, I mean we wouldn’t have Britney if he didn’t discover her, lol.

True, they are both to blame.

38 minutes ago, The_Original_Toy said:

I agree. 

And getting an entire album in that vein would be sonic heaven to me. Make Me & Mood Ring are two of my absolute all-time favourite Britney songs - even though they are incredibly different from her legacy catalogue. They are just so mature and atmospheric, with really interesting minimalist production. 

2 hours ago, DJSLAYZEE said:

I mean, if "Liar", which is one of the stand-out tracks on Glory, was originally for "Pretty World", I would've been ok getting that album too.

And it was never confirmed, she just had a billboard saying that on the POM stage when she performed PG with Iggy. It was never even hinted at being tied to her then completed proto-album.

Archived