Britney hasn't had a Top 10 solo hit in six years

5 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

In that case, why didn't radio drop On the Floor? Or Drunk In Love? :whitney:

Stop making excuses, Britney didn't do a good enough promo performance to keep the song in the public interest. The song received a boost yes, but it could and should have been much higher considering the VMAs were a high profile event. Glory was out that weekend and it was blocked from staying #1 because of Lemonade's huge performance.

She obviously had to do something ambitious/creative following Beyonce's performance, which she could have done despite the lip-synching, and she didn't do anything of the sort.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, zxcvb said:

She obviously had to do something ambitious/creative following Beyonce's performance, which she could have done despite the lip-synching, and she didn't do anything of the sort.

Exactly. Her 2000 and 2001 VMA performances are more iconic, and they were under 4 minutes. I’m sure if Britney put on a great performance Glory would’ve had more success.

16 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

What does that have to do with this subject? :whitney: And Xtina's last solo top 10 was in 2008, not 2007. If you're gonna bring her up for no reason, at least get your facts straight. :whitney:

It has plenty to do with it.

She came out at the same time as Britney and is pretty much a direct comparison. Britney is doing well compared to most of her contemporaries. It's 100% relevant to this topic. 

And it was 2007 since she last had a top 10 here. I forgot Keeps Getting Floppier was a US top 10. No accounting for taste. 

17 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

In that case, why didn't radio drop On the Floor? Or Drunk In Love? :whitney:

Stop making excuses, Britney didn't do a good enough promo performance to keep the song in the public interest. The song received a boost yes, but it could and should have been much higher considering the VMAs were a high profile event. Glory was out that weekend and it was blocked from staying #1 because of Lemonade's huge performance.

I guess payola

After the performance, Make moved 1 spot to #2 on itunes and would have been #1 on itunes again if that Closer song had not been performed that night

The public loved what they heard

None of Beyonce singles went into the top 10 that night for such a long and talked about performance might I add:yeaok:

11 minutes ago, Trentals said:

It has plenty to do with it.

She came out at the same time as Britney and is pretty much a direct comparison. Britney is doing well compared to most of her contemporaries. It's 100% relevant to this topic. 

And it was 2007 since she last had a top 10 here. I forgot Keeps Getting Floppier was a US top 10. No accounting for taste. 

Doing better than Xtina isn't saying much. :ehum:

And I assumed you were talking about the Hot 100 since that's the chart everyone usually mentions. :whitney:

And Britney isn't doing well compared to her peers (apart from Xtina). JT had the biggest song of 2016 WW, Beyoncé last year released the acclaimed album that is Lemonade (the 2nd best selling album of 2016 WW) and Shakira got two big hits with Chantaje and La Bicicleta and the best-selling Latin album of 2017 (so far) in the US. Meanwhile Glory couldn't pass 1M sales WW (even Rebel Heart could) and MM couldn't reach top 15 even with the VMAs, Carpool, etc. Britney is doing bad compared to her peers. :whitney:

2 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

I guess payola

After the performance, Make moved 1 spot to #2 on itunes and would have been #1 on itunes again if that Closer song had not been performed that night

The public loved what they heard

None of Beyonce singles went into the top 10 that night for such a long and talked about performance might I add:yeaok:

Because everyone was buying Lemonade the ALBUM, and not Glory. :whitney:

Nevertheless, iTunes charts are not superior to Billboard's charts. Make Me repeaked at #17 when it should have gone much higher due to the VMAs being a big event that has everyone talking. Britney's hyped comeback fizzled and while people enjoyed the song, it wasn't enough to keep the interest as the song dropped (and did not rise) the following week.

If payola is the answer, then why did RCA not bother when JT and P!nk's singles do well? Britney shouldn't need payola.

2 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

It wasn’t a big pop radio hit, but it was #1 on rhythmic and R&B and went 3x platinum

I know but when I think of hit. It's not just about sales, it's also about if the gp knows and they really don't know any Bey songs from any of her last two albums.

8 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Because everyone was buying Lemonade the ALBUM, and not Glory. :whitney:

Nevertheless, iTunes charts are not superior to Billboard's charts. Make Me repeaked at #17 when it should have gone much higher due to the VMAs being a big event that has everyone talking. Britney's hyped comeback fizzled and while people enjoyed the song, it wasn't enough to keep the interest as the song dropped (and did not rise) the following week.

If payola is the answer, then why did RCA not bother when JT and P!nk's singles do well? Britney shouldn't need payola.

itunes charts show what the folks are really checking for

It gave Britney a top 20 which is impresive

It's other things like radio airplay and atreaming that factor into the hot100

Like I said, radio dropped the record as its sales was doing pretty good

30 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

itunes charts show what the folks are really checking for

It gave Britney a top 20 which is impresive

It's other things like radio airplay and atreaming that factor into the hot100

Like I said, radio dropped the record as its sales was doing pretty good

Britney already had a Top 20 before the VMAs. And no a Top 20 isn't that impressive. JLO got a Top 20 alone for her *** video with Iggy Azalea.

"What the folks are really checking for", then why was Glory such a non event? Why did it debut at #3 on the BB 200, if supposedly people loved Britney's VMA performance?

9 hours ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I know but when I think of hit. It's not just about sales, it's also about if the gp knows and they really don't know any Bey songs from any of her last two albums.

What?

Drunk in Love not only went 3x platinum but the "I been drankin, I been drankin" and  "surfboard" lines went viral, one of the reasons the song crossed over to pop, and the video has 400m views and should be half a billion before long.

Formation was one of the most talked about songs of 2016 but I guess it is a bit bigger in the minority community (same with Partition, Flawless, 7/11). Beyoncé has had endless amounts of urban hits since 4.

DIL is definitely a hit across the board though. 

1 minute ago, ITZFFGL said:

What?

Drunk in Love not only went 3x platinum but the "I been drankin, I been drankin" and  "surfboard" lines went viral, one of the reasons the song crossed over to pop, and the video has 400m views and should be half a billion before long.

Formation was one of the most talked about songs of 2016 but I guess it is a bit bigger in the minority community (same with Partition, Flawless, 7/11). Beyoncé has had endless amounts of urban hits since 4.

DIL is definitely a hit across the board though. 

I didn't really see anybody talking about it but Beyoncé fans.  Formation was local as hell. Same with Lemonade. I don't like Beyoncé but I know that she's a hard worker. But her singles since like 2011 haven't been known by the gp.

3 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I didn't really see anybody talking about it but Beyoncé fans.  Formation was local as hell. Same with Lemonade. I don't like Beyoncé but I know that she's a hard worker. But her singles since like 2011 haven't been known by the gp.

"Not being known by the GP" and multiplatinum sales + 9 figure views do not match up :tiffcackle:

What you saw does not represent an entire reality. "Surfboard/surfbort" was inescapable online in 2014. It was all over Vine. 

So was "I woke up like this" from Flawless. There are actually quite a few Beyoncé songs known by the GP since 2011.

33 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Britney already had a Top 20 before the VMAs. And no a Top 20 isn't that impressive. JLO got a Top 20 alone for her *** video with Iggy Azalea.

"What the folks are really checking for", then why was Glory such a non event? Why did it debut at #3 on the BB 200, if supposedly people loved Britney's VMA performance?

Yes it is for Britney being in the game this long and still doing well

Debuting at #3 is bad now?  Peaked a spot higher than Britney Jean might I add:truthtea:

22 hours ago, Curiousexhaler86 said:

Both Work ***** and Make Me were such missed opportunities tbh. Shame on Britney and her team. :lemmetellu:

Although Work ***** did get some justice with all those performances these past four years and love from the GP. It's already iconic and I love that. :brit:

Work ***** is still playing in clubs tho, on the other hand nobody knows make me exists 

Guest $elfish
On 7/25/2017 at 7:25 PM, danny1994 said:

What’s interesting is that Drunk In Love wasn’t even that huge on pop radio. It reached #12 or something, but still reached #3 on Billboard and 3x platinum. If anything, radio was unfair to her.

Beyonce could selll without radio support, why not Britney?

Because everyone kisses Beyoncé's *** and treat her like she's god 

Side note : lemonade wasn't that good tbh i am Sasha fierce is much better:girlwhat:

Guest $elfish
10 hours ago, zone said:

Work ***** is still playing in clubs tho, on the other hand nobody knows make me exists 

Which is sad considering make me is a much better song and is actually sung by Brit

Archived