“Hold It Against Me” Video Director Shares Behind-The-Scenes Picture Of Him And Britney

Jordan Miller

Britney's lack of enthusiasm for the FF era was apparent and very unfortunate with respect to this music video, because this is by far her most artistic video and rivals "Everytime" for most personal.

The layers of metaphors, whether subtle or overt, are present in every scene, yet often flashed so quickly as to frequently be missed upon first, second or even third sight, perfectly provide an illustration for the chaos surrounding her professional and personal life. The chaotic, manic nature of how the music video was stylistically edited/shot serves fascinating insight beyond merely that of depicting her meteoric rise to fame, overwhelming fall from grace, continual battling of her inner demons or public redemption.

Most interestingly, it offers viewers a glimpse of life from her own perspective: living in a fishbowl, wherein she's been both contained and gawked at from the very moment she signed her contract as a 16-year-old girl. A fishbowl where nothing is projected (neither externally/tangibly nor internally/mentally) other than images of her former and "ideal" self, the carefully crafted embodiment of the ultimate teen queen and pop princess, an ideal she herself could never live up to. This cognitive dissonance, thereby, subsequently leads to her own eventual inability to separate or even piece together her authentic self apart from the aforementioned inauthenticity and idealized imagery of "America's Sweetheart," as manufactured by her record label, media, fans and general public alike, a combination ultimately rendering self-awareness that her own phenomenon of "self" is reliant upon the continued existence of a non-human, living Barbie doll, and the painful awareness that it was a facade which simultaneously propelled her to both incredible fame and fortune, while concurrently leaving her with complete loss of self and purpose. 

TL;DR: Hate the FF era, love the HIAM MV, am a psychologist, and thusly overanalytical, by both profession and nature, and painfully amateur philosopher wannabe by secret hobby, and I talk way too ******* much. :outwithit:

ETA: Just occured to me I could've summarized all of the above psychobabble with a succinct, oft-cited statement concerning how utterly meaningless it is to gain the world at the expense of losing your soul. But I didn't, and now I'm ******* talking again. 

Should anyone read this...just don't. But if you did and died of boredom and/or the depth of your eye rolls, please don't hold it against me :Lshark: 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Good video, he should come back. But learn to ease up on the multiple cuts every 5 seconds.

He actually tried to help her dancing look good and fluid. Remember they had a dance double for her back then. :mattafact:

4 hours ago, Britneylandia said:

You are gonna downvote me a lot but...

look a that smile, look at her lips :crying1:

What? You're now criticizing Britney's appearance??? Wowwwwww. :girlwhat:

If she only looked this good and happy in the actual video, I'd like it better. 

The video overall is very mysterious and it looks good, like the colors and stuff, but her face is the only thing that looks off throughout the entire video. Not even the bad choreo is that big of a deal as her sad face. 

44 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

am a psychologist

Which field? Better not be psychodynamic:whitney:

hahah I’ actually applying for a years course to then start my bachelor and do it all the way to a phd, hopefully. Getting a denial or a confirmation in three days

9 minutes ago, Crayboy said:

Which field? Better not be psychodynamic:whitney:

hahah I’ actually applying for a years course to then start my bachelor and do it all the way to a phd, hopefully. Getting a denial or a confirmation in three days

Best of luck! Keep me updated on your admission status! I'm in grad school currently, majoring in Psychological Sciences with majors in Neuroscience and Cognition. After I finally get my PhD in clinical psychology, I want to become a certified neuropsychologist. But other than being a research assistant in psych labs for years now, as soon as I got my BS I got a job as a neuropsychological technician in Clinical and Consulting Neuropsychology, so I spend days that I'm not in class or conducting experiments by administering 6-hour to 3-day neuropsychological assessments, and then ultimately diagnosing the patient. I love it. 

And no, definitely no Freud or Jung for me, haha I have zero interest in therapy in general. But I do enjoy reading psychoanalytic theories, despite the overwhelming lack of evidence against most of the methodology. 

Which field are you wanting to get your PhD in? 

Just now, thousand oaks said:

What kind of crisis? Never heard about that 

the information came a lot before the video came out, and they already talked about all the scenes of it and they said she had a crisis during the pain scene. 

I don't know what kind of crisis tbh :calculating:

but I remember the information and nobody believed it cuz they mentioned "britney throwing paint through her fingers" and everybody was like, wtf?:triggered: That's not true. And then the video came out. :girlwhat:

I asked Jonas on twitter, maybe he'll answer. But I don't think he'll be allowed to give that kind of information...:sassybrit:

6 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

Best of luck! Keep me updated on your admission status! I'm in grad school currently, majoring in Psychological Sciences with majors in Neuroscience and Cognition. After I finally get my PhD in clinical psychology, I want to become a certified neuropsychologist. But other than being a research assistant in psych labs for years now, as soon as I got my BS I got a job as a neuropsychological technician in Clinical and Consulting Neuropsychology, so I spend days that I'm not in class or conducting experiments by administering 6-hour to 3-day neuropsychological assessments, and then ultimately diagnosing the patient. I love it. 

And no, definitely no Freud or Jung for me, haha I have zero interest in therapy in general. But I do enjoy reading psychoanalytic theories, despite the overwhelming lack of evidence against most of the methodology. 

Which field are you wanting to get your PhD in? 

Tbh, I’d love one in cognitive psychology, maybe even neoruopsycholgy. Anything but evolutionary psychology tbh, I don’t find it to be amazing research tbh. Nor does it make that much sense to argue for things like ****, torture etc. I don’t need to tell you that mr. Psychologist ;)  :)  It’s interesting because by getting a phd you’d be considered a certified psychologist in most countries except here Where one needs a. Special form of education.  

Is it hard? What exactly did you do the first couple of years?

thank you! :D I will! Haha 

15 minutes ago, mauureee said:

the information came a lot before the video came out, and they already talked about all the scenes of it and they said she had a crisis during the pain scene. 

I don't know what kind of crisis tbh :calculating:

but I remember the information and nobody believed it cuz they mentioned "britney throwing paint through her fingers" and everybody was like, wtf?:triggered: That's not true. And then the video came out. :girlwhat:

I asked Jonas on twitter, maybe he'll answer. But I don't think he'll be allowed to give that kind of information...:sassybrit:

Oh thanks.. that's creepy! But it could be easily fake news

1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

Britney's lack of enthusiasm for the FF era was apparent and very unfortunate with respect to this music video, because this is by far her most artistic video and rivals "Everytime" for most personal.

The layers of metaphors, whether subtle or overt, are present in every scene, yet often flashed so quickly as to frequently be missed upon first, second or even third sight, perfectly provide an illustration for the chaos surrounding her professional and personal life. The chaotic, manic nature of how the music video was stylistically edited/shot serves fascinating insight beyond merely that of depicting her meteoric rise to fame, overwhelming fall from grace, continual battling of her inner demons or public redemption.

Most interestingly, it offers viewers a glimpse of life from her own perspective: living in a fishbowl, wherein she's been both contained and gawked at from the very moment she signed her contract as a 16-year-old girl. A fishbowl where nothing is projected (neither externally/tangibly nor internally/mentally) other than images of her former and "ideal" self, the carefully crafted embodiment of the ultimate teen queen and pop princess, an ideal she herself could never live up to. This cognitive dissonance, thereby, subsequently leads to her own eventual inability to separate or even piece together her authentic self apart from the aforementioned inauthenticity and idealized imagery of "America's Sweetheart," as manufactured by her record label, media, fans and general public alike, a combination ultimately rendering self-awareness that her own phenomenon of "self" is reliant upon the continued existence of a non-human, living Barbie doll, and the painful awareness that it was a facade which simultaneously propelled her to both incredible fame and fortune, while concurrently leaving her with complete loss of self and purpose. 

TL;DR: Hate the FF era, love the HIAM MV, am a psychologist, and thusly overanalytical, by both profession and nature, and painfully amateur philosopher wannabe by secret hobby, and I talk way too ******* much. :outwithit:

ETA: Just occured to me I could've summarized all of the above psychobabble with a succinct, oft-cited statement concerning how utterly meaningless it is to gain the world at the expense of losing your soul. But I didn't, and now I'm ******* talking again. 

Should anyone read this...just don't. But if you did and died of boredom and/or the depth of your eye rolls, please don't hold it against me :Lshark: 

This was very interesting and insightful read TBH :mj:  I read the whole thing 

23 minutes ago, thousand oaks said:

Oh thanks.. that's creepy! But it could be easily fake news

yes, we don't really know BUT this information was given if I'm no wrong the same day Britney was shooting the video.

And there were no pics no nothing anywhere so this could be made up...:calculating:

Archived