(POLL): You can only choose one: ...Baby One More Time or Gimme More?

jamesedward94

You can only choose one: ...Baby One More Time or Gimme More?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, zxcvb said:

Britney's entire career?  I believe it is Toxic that had the biggest impact on most of Britney's career.

The bottom line is BOMT made her a massive teen idol and a bigger Debbie Gibson/Tiffany.

Some people call Britney a one-hit wonder with other hits and Toxic is the song which eliminates that completely.

It's not like BOMT/Oops helped her get a song like Toxic/Gimme More; her big career in music was going to be pretty much done at the time if it wasn't for Toxic.

im confused by your response to my post...i didnt say anything about BOMT being the biggest hit of her career. i said that while i see its huge impact on her career i still prefer GM personally. didnt say anything about it being the song with the biggest impact on her career as a whole. im comparing the two songs in question you know?

• 8 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 8:34 AM, zxcvb said:

Britney's entire career?  I believe it is Toxic that had the biggest impact on most of Britney's career.

The bottom line is BOMT made her a massive teen idol and a bigger Debbie Gibson/Tiffany.

Some people call Britney a one-hit wonder with other hits and Toxic is the song which eliminates that completely.

It's not like BOMT/Oops helped her get a song like Toxic/Gimme More; her big career in music was going to be pretty much done at the time if it wasn't for Toxic.

Im sorry, this is an outdated post but I was just googling about Baby and this post came out, and I definitely feel like I have to say something to you. First of all, what the hell do you mean by Britney is a one hit wonder until Toxic came and save her from being a one hit wonder? By then, Baby One More Time is not her only big hits. She had tons of other great big hits. Sometimes, You Drive Me Crazy, Born To Make You Happy, Oops I Did It Again (Went to no 1 in more than 15 countries and top 5 in all other countries it charted), Lucky, Stronger, Slave 4 U, etc. Are all super big hits. All of this singles, managed to make to the top 10 in more than 10 countries. So what the hell are you talking about? If you are talking about all of her other hits accept for Baby, Oops, Crazy and Toxic failing to make it to the top 10 of the Billboard hot 100, it definitely does not mean that her singles weren't big in the US. It is strictly because Jive never released Physical single CD sales for any of their artists in order to boost album sales. Billboard takes into consideration both Airplay and Single Sales to decide their rankings. Britney always managed to get strong airplay, and rarely misses the top 10 for any of her singles. But since, her singles sales were literally zero, there is just no way for her singles to chart strongly on the Hot 100 charts. Certain songs such as Crazy, Oops and even Toxic would've easily reach the no 1 spot if Jive were to release physical CD for sales. Not to mention other potentially strong singles such as Lucky, Sometimes, etc also have the potential to reach No. 1 or at least top 5. So your comments regarding Britney was a one hit wonder until Toxic came out and save the day are rather stupid.

I haven't went through the threads yet to see if anybody has posted opinions that line up with mine. Thing is that neither song or video is bad. If you'd asked me this question years ago, I would've said Gimme More/song and Baby One More Time for the video. I'm still gonna pick GM for the song. It's only for the video I do a total flip over. Baby's iconic. But the GM video has grown on me to the point where I'd consider it one of my top favorite Britney videos. There's so many scenes that look fantastic. It's wild to me that she could be going through what she was going through in her personal life and being able to have this sizzling energy that just comes out of the screen when  you watch it. Yeah, I realize that's a weird way of wording it. 

One of my favorite parts is towards the end when the lights are purple, she's swinging around the pole and she has the brightest smile on her face. And there's an earlier scene in the middle when the lights are blue and  her beautiful  smile just lights up the whole scene. 

At this point Gimme More is just another Britney song, but BOMT, along with Oops, is THE song that Britney is known for. Without Baby she wouldn't be the respected artist that she is today, and even though Gimme More remedied her career at a troubled time, people were rooting for her because of how famous Baby, Oops, Slave, etc. made her. :holduplisten: 

8 hours ago, Afiq said:

Im sorry, this is an outdated post but I was just googling about Baby and this post came out, and I definitely feel like I have to say something to you. First of all, what the hell do you mean by Britney is a one hit wonder until Toxic came and save her from being a one hit wonder? By then, Baby One More Time is not her only big hits. She had tons of other great big hits. Sometimes, You Drive Me Crazy, Born To Make You Happy, Oops I Did It Again (Went to no 1 in more than 15 countries and top 5 in all other countries it charted), Lucky, Stronger, Slave 4 U, etc. Are all super big hits. All of this singles, managed to make to the top 10 in more than 10 countries. So what the hell are you talking about? If you are talking about all of her other hits accept for Baby, Oops, Crazy and Toxic failing to make it to the top 10 of the Billboard hot 100, it definitely does not mean that her singles weren't big in the US. It is strictly because Jive never released Physical single CD sales for any of their artists in order to boost album sales. Billboard takes into consideration both Airplay and Single Sales to decide their rankings. Britney always managed to get strong airplay, and rarely misses the top 10 for any of her singles. But since, her singles sales were literally zero, there is just no way for her singles to chart strongly on the Hot 100 charts. Certain songs such as Crazy, Oops and even Toxic would've easily reach the no 1 spot if Jive were to release physical CD for sales. Not to mention other potentially strong singles such as Lucky, Sometimes, etc also have the potential to reach No. 1 or at least top 5. So your comments regarding Britney was a one hit wonder until Toxic came out and save the day are rather stupid.

I wasn't that person that made that comment, I just want to comment on 'one hit wonders'. I never would label Britney a one hit wonder. But I can see where a lot of people would think somebody with such a HUGE hit would fall into the 'one hit wonder' label. "Oh, she's never gonna be able to top this huge song and video. She'll keep on trying and she'll keep on failing." Britney DIDN'T do that. She managed to keep on having a ladder 'step' of hits. She didn't even flop for OIDIA. She had the right team around her and she worked her *** off. I bet after people saw that the Baby album was a hit, those people transferred the negative thoughts to her sophomore album. "Okay, so you got lucky. Bet it won't happen again." 

I can't help thinking of other people I grew up listening to  that were actually current for the time. Whatever happened to Jennifer Paige? Whatever happened to Donna Lewis? What about Meredith Brooks? I literally don't remember seeing any other videos from Jennifer or from Donna on any music tv channel. I remember two Meredith videos and they just couldn't come close to "*****". 

Spoiler

Gimme More. It's Britney *****, the iconic VMAs performance, the amazing production, and the insanely catchy chorus all make it the superior choice. It was a decent hit too, despite Britney had having several years of nonstop negative press leading up to the release. :unbothered:

Yes, BOMT was a bigger hit, and the music video is iconic. There were never really any iconic performances, though. Also, I was never a big fan of that vocal effect they did in her songs during BOMT and OIDIA eras, where it sounds like a whole choir of people is singing the chorus and you can't really hear Britney's distinct voice. That always annoyed me. :nyheadache: 

Archived